Members and visitors, take note — a bunch more events have been scheduled for the coming days, pass the word! The quick rundown:
10/23: Friday Open Shop, 7pm. Bring your friends, hack on stuff. You know the drill.
10/24: Saturday Microcontroller Birds-of-a-Feather session, 1pm. Arduino and AVR users, bring your breadboards. Try to keep the magic smoke in the chips, please.
10/25: Sunday Halloween Shop, 3pm. Costumes, decorations, pumpkins not done yet? Our full resources are at your disposal, you have no excuse!
Guests are welcome, as always. See you there!
The Utica Shelby Emergency Communication Association holds their 24th annual Hamfest on October 25th.
Doors open from 8:00AM to 1:00PM American Polish Century Club
33204 Maple Lane Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312-6212
We still have open seats for Tomorrows Intro to Web Servers class (Part1). If you would like to sign up please click HERE.
Intro to Web Servers (Part 1) – go from basic computer to full web server in about an hour
Course will cover basic concepts in addition to practical hands-on experience.
Topics we will gloss over:
- basic networking and the internet
- what a web server is
- server / client relationship
- Running a web server from your house for fun and maybe profit.
- Installing Apache web server a couple different ways
- Basic configuring and customizing your web server
- We will go over a few modifications(mods) to install on to you machine to optimize your web sites performance.
- What’s a domain and how to get one and get it working with your web server
- dynamic and static domains will be covered
- How to serve up pages and files
- A windows/OSX/ Linux laptop with VMware server/ player installed ( I can not provide this as it is against licencing )
- In the class you will be provided with a pre-made virtual install of ubuntu server 8.10
It is suggested to have a basic understanding of computers and the linux operating system, regardless you’ll no doubt learn something.
Been meaning to check out the space? Got a project to work on? Just want to hang out? Swing by i3Detroit on Friday evening, as Nate and Ed host another open shop night.
At i3Detroit, guests are always implicitly welcome, but these events are an explicit way for you to come in and know you won’t be interrupting anyone. We promise to have the doors open at 7-ish, but earlier is likely so if you’re in the area, stop on by!
Parking in Royal Oak can be a bit tight on weekends. There’s a bunch of free parking in the middle of 4th street, two blocks east of us (just past CVS), which doesn’t fill up like the stuff closer to downtown.
If you’re coming, you can leave a comment to let everyone know what you’ll be working on!
Quick note for those planning to take the practice amateur radio (ham) exam after the class: If you want to get a feel for the material, you can play with the practice exams right now. (You’re interested in the Technician exam.) Jot down the topics and terms you want clarified!
We’ll be talking about a lot more than just amateur radio, of course. From commercial broadcasting to garage-door openers, if it transmits or receives a signal, it’s fair game! Class starts at 7, be there or be an infinite series of sine waves.
phone: (248) 906-8473
For tours, just drop in before a meeting (Tuesdays 5-7pm) or any Friday evening (5-9pm).
Stay Informed – Mailing Lists
|Subscribe to i3 Public Group|
|Visit i3 Public group|