Meeting Minutes 20131217
Chair Justin Triplett
- Marie, she's here. She misses board meetings
- No other new faces
Action Item Review
- Max G.A. - Post info on painting the Tree House
- This will be happening in the new year
Matt O. - Follow up on the soldering class
Justin T. - Start discussion on changes to member storage practices
- Getting pallet racks for the E Lab storage area
Justin T. - Start planning thread for HAM radio antenna
- Mark L is designing something, proposing it to the landlord
Justin T. - Start thread about L'Anse Cruse HAM Radio Swap
Ted H. - Post to list about independent film to ask/notify members about the filming time on Saturday
Margaret L. - Post to list about APS outreach
Show and Tell
- Steampunk Steve shows of an electric cigar box guitar
- Brian W. shows of puzzle box made on the laser cutter with 5mm birch wood. There's a puzzle that you need to move a ball bearing through to the button before you can open the box.
Pot Lock Clean Up
- This place is still pretty messy
- More stuff to clean
- Please do
- All the cleaning
Review of Board Meeting
- The minutes are here: Board_Meeting_Minutes_20131210
- Reply all is automatic now, but it used to be just "Reply" by default
- Some people hate it, some love it
- Justin will change it back
First Robotics Team
Point of contact Nate B.
- Local team used to build at a manufacturing place
- Their old space is not available
- i3 is not very close to them, but they are asking
- Cleaning up after ourselves to share space
- Storage: they need about two power wheels worth of space
- Others at meeting estimate more space would be needed
- Floor space is a concern
- Suggested that storage is put in cave under tree house
- There was a general consensus that storing under the tree house is a good idea, no one will miss the space
- We ask one or two adult mentors of the team to join as members of i3 and they supervise the team
- It would be noisy here for about 2 weekdays and Saturdays for January and February
- After school event, so probably around 4pm to 9pm
- Concern for conflict with events: Beaglebone group on Wednesday, and Game night on Thursdays
- We can tell them when the team's presence might be most convenient -Greg S.
- It's a good idea to have i3 members at the space at the same time as the First team to inspire the students and help them learn. -Nate B.
- Liability concern for minors and insurance
- At the moment, we don't think we have insurance to cover anything like that -Justin T.
- In the past we have attached a rider to the insurance to allow x-many minors in the space -Nate B.
- Students are high school students from International Academy East in Troy
- Students need a waiver for their parents to come to i3 and be supervised by one school
- There will be about 10 to 20 students
- Some teams display sponsor names on their banner, i3 may get notoriety
- Kickoff is the 1st Saturday of January (4th)
- But the sooner the better for the First Team because they need to move before the kickoff
Tentative Proposal Pending Adequate Insurance and Space
- Proposed by Matt H.
- Seconded by Andrew M.
- Overwhelming majority of members present votes in favor
- The idea is to try to connect new people to mentoring in an area that they already feel comfortable.
- They will feel more at home before they move on to learning how to use new tools in zones they aren't used to.
- Zone Wardens: Let's get a go-to list of people who are trained to work in the zones so that it's easier to match new members to mentors
- Matt O. held a tour
- Kids asked "What does this do?"
- It would be great if we had a demonstration piece to show people (kids) what the different tools and machines can do.
- Zone wardens, you are going to do this:
- Find a simple example to demonstrate what your zone's tools do.
Soldering Watermelon Class
- It's not soldering anymore, because the requester wanted a more hands-on, interactive experience for the students
- High school kids are doing a watermelon drop contest
- This Saturday noon - 5pm
Where Does This Go?
- Most zones have a box
- They're not for personal items - so where is the lost-and-found
- There is no lost and found but the rules say there is one
- What's the difference between lost-and-found and the graveyard?
- The only time something is supposed to be put in the graveyard is when the owner puts it there or the board puts it there
- Instead, you put a parking ticket and leave it where it sits
Boy Scouts coming to i3?
- Mailing list thread started by Andrew M.
- Bringing in scouts as an informal thing to have them make things
- During month of February, for about 90 minutes
- Preferably on a weeknight, but weekend could be ok
- New, cool parts!
- Great prices
- Boost regulators
- Ask, and Nate B will show you around
- E Lab orientation happens Dec. 26
- Protomat is working
- Classes in new year
- Closed source software working - maybe easier to use
- Open source
- Rostock having some maintenance done
- IR camera shows heating bed is not doing what it is supposed to
- That's not cool, no wait, it is cool, that's the problem
- Making things portable
- No class plans until later next year
- Fab lab has a white board
- Making a plastics order by the end of December for more colors
- Put in a request for colors on the white board in the Fab Lab
- CNC embroiderer
- Kevin having some trouble with getting it operating
- Dive in to learn if you are interested
- Hopefully we will figure it out soon and have classes
- Renewed effort to improve zone coming in new year!
- Thanks, less trash!
- Classes in new year:
- Making boxes
- Classes on 4OW laser on Marketry? - Taking veneer and carving something into it
- Both kilns are working fine
- Jeff is making lots of Jewelry
- Ceramics classes starting in January
- Jeff will be teaching classes on glass jewelry!
- Reorganized Grinding/polishing station
- Next to the air compressor
- There's an apron and eye protection
- Strongly advise you to use both, especially the eye protection
- Does anyone know anything about electronics to fix random broken things
- Konrad points at Matt O. Matt O. looks at Nate B.
- TIG Welder needs a potentiometer and/or some
- Keyboard and mouse are now wired because we don't want batteries
- A series of classes will be starting in either January or February
- Students would need to demonstrate use of G-Code
- There will be a test for you to demonstrate your ability
- We have money, so if you would like a color let Nate Warnick Done
- Dark red?
- Still needs a warden
- Jeff will do it! (applause)
- Justin T. - Check insurance regarding minors at i3 for First Robotics team - also check team's insurance, CC Ted and ask board list
- Nate B. - Ask team sponsor to come to i3 to see if the space will have
- Jamie B. - Make lost and found box
- Nate B. - Work with Jodi to fix welding things
- Justin Triplett
- Maxwell Pelican
- Madalyn Candice Winans
- Adrienne Patterson
- Matt O. Poop Poop
- Matt Huber
- Kevin Flory
- Alex Bellak
- Mike Fink
- Jamie Burdeski
- Mark Miles
- Halley Miglietti
- Steve Brook
- Rob Lufton
- Dave Scholl
- Konrad Brown
- Gary Morin
- Nathan Warnick
- Marie-Therese Enga