(Redirected from Category:Welding Shop)
|Zone Name||Welding Area|
|Zone Slogan||"I'm a lame zone with no slogan"|
|Zone Coordinator(s)||Jody Raiford|
Welding is a great way to join and form metal. Welding use comes at some risk. Let's be careful out there.
- Eye protection. You must protect your eyes from the bright welding light. If you are TIG, MIG or Arc welding you should be wearing a welding helmet. If you are using oxygen/acetylene welding then you should be wearing a pair of gas welding goggles or the dark face shield.
- Consider the eye protection of others around you. Will they get flashed by your welding arc? Use the welding safety screens to protect others in the shop.
- Proper clothing. Shorts and T-shirt won't do. Arc welding gives off extremely bright UV light, and you will become badly sunburned in no time. Best is long sleeve cotton clothing and long cotton pants (tight knit lightweight wool is actually the "best", but hard to find). Polyester clothing will melt easily and should never be worn by anyone welding.
- Proper footwear. Leather closed toe shoes should be worn. It doesn't take long for a small hot bead of metal to burn right through the top of your canvas tennis shoes. Also consider wearing boots instead of low cut shoes. Think what will happen if a drop of molten metal gets inside your shoe. Ouch.
- Wear welding gloves to protect your hands. Mechanics' gloves tend to have plastic or rubber which will melt while welding.
- Don't forget that it takes time for hot welded metal to cool. Use pliers to lift work off of the table. Don't leave hot work where an innocent bystander could become burned. If you aren't sure about the temperature of a piece, assume it's hot until proven otherwise.
- Ventilation. Don't breath the fumes, some/most metals and filler material contains toxic fumes.
- Quick.. where is the nearest fire extinguisher?
- Purge gas lines to machines
- Close all gas bottles
- Turn off over head lights (Orange switch on east wall)
- Turn off disconnects on east wall "BusBar #1 MIG Welders, BusBar #2 TIG Welders)
- Clear table, Grind spatter, sweep.
- TIG Welder - Miller Dynasty 200
- MIG Welder - Miller Millermatic 212
- Oxy-Acetylene Torch
- MIG Welder - Century
- P&H TIG Welder (SOLD! Kept here for archival purposes)
- Hobart RC-250 250amp MIG GMAW (SOLD! Kept here for archival purposes)
Learn to MIG
Learn to TIG
Pages in category "Welding Area"
The following 15 pages are in this category, out of 15 total.