Difference between revisions of "FAQ"
|Line 102:||Line 102:|
*Who empties the Where Do I Go boxes?
*Who empties the Where Do I Go boxes?
*What is a Manta?
*What is a Manta?
Revision as of 13:09, 6 July 2013
- 1 New Member Questions
- 1.1 How do I get my newbie questions answered?
- 1.2 What is the Google Group i3 internal page used for?
- 1.3 How are Supplies (like garbage bags) purchased/handled?
- 1.4 What are Consumables and how are they purchased/handled?
- 1.5 What are Components and how are they purchased/handled?
- 1.6 If I want to donate tools, how do I do it?
- 1.7 Where is a member directory?
- 1.8 Somebody left their briefcase, what do I do?
- 1.9 How can I pay my dues?
- 1.10 How are events publicized?
- 1.11 What does a Warden do?
- 1.12 Can a Member attend the Board meeting?
- 1.13 Who can write in the wiki?
- 1.14 What do I do if I break a tool? Do I have to pay for it?
- 1.15 What do I do if I damage, but do not break a tool?
- 1.16 Does a visitor require an escort? What if someone I don't know rings the bell and asks to wait for a member who isn't here yet?
- 1.17 Who do I see if I need training on a piece of equipment?
- 2 Pre-Member Questions
- 3 I still have a question
New Member Questions
How do I get my newbie questions answered?
Upon entry there is a New Member Oriantation Form printed at the bottom of the page which a Veteran Member will walk you through to answer basic questions. There are also scheduled New Member orientations on the i3 Calendar. Typically they are after the regular member meetings on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month. Most all general questions can be answered at one of those Orientations. Please gather a list of all of your questions and bring them in then. We will be happy to answer all of them in one-fell-swoop :)
What is the Google Group i3 internal page used for?
The internal i3 Google Group page is used for BROADCASTs to all members. It is for immediate communication with ALL members. It is not a forum for the accumulation of institutional memory or batch style communications to a subgroup or general discussions over time.
How are Supplies (like garbage bags) purchased/handled?
Supplies are bought by members and donated. That means you. ShoppingList is here.
What are Consumables and how are they purchased/handled?
Consumables are non-component articles that are used with a piece of equipment that are used up and must be replaced periodically. Such as saw blades, and argon for the welders. As you use the equipment there is a "Consumable Box" for contributions in each appropriate Zone. Please donate as you use the Zone's Consumables. New Zone Consumables will be purchased by the Zone Warden with Box Funds.
What are Components and how are they purchased/handled?
Components are materials that will be incorporated into your project, such as resistors, screws, tape, paint, wood, and metal. Small components which are bought in bulk (tape, screws, etc) are bought by the member for a particular project. Excess components (the rest of the tape, the rest of the box of screws, etc.) can be volutarily contributed to the group by storing them in the appropriate zone small components area. If you use signinficant small components, please be considerate and contribute some back, either replinish with like, or other stock.
For lumber, there is an upright storage area. In it, the leftmost slot is set aside for members' personal wood (it should be labeled up top), and all items in there should have someone's name written on them and a date. So, don't use the stuff in that slot, but if there's something in there that would save you a trip to the store, feel free to ask the person named on it, and as often as not, you'll find that they abandoned their project idea and are happy to let you use the material.
The Electronics Zone has an Electronics Store, at which you can puchase Electronic Components. Details in Electronics Room. Zone Wardens handle stocking Zone Stores.
If I want to donate tools, how do I do it?
Look at the Wish List for the appropriate Zone, like WoodShop. Find if your tool is on the wishlist. If yes, contact the Zone Warden. If it is a large or unusual piece which might not have been thought of before, ask the appropriate Zone Warden. If no Zone Warden seems appropriate, such as a Hydraulic Press, ask an Officer or Bard Member. If it is appropriate, please fill out a Donation Request Form.
Where is a member directory?
See the CRM.
Somebody left their briefcase, what do I do?
Post on i3detroit-public with a picture of it.
How can I pay my dues?
By Amazon. [GO HERE]. Or fill out a payment slip and envelope and put in the Black Box by Main Entrance.
How are events publicized?
What does a Warden do?
The proposed description is in HOWTO_Be_A_Warden
Can a Member attend the Board meeting?
Who can write in the wiki?
Any member can write in the wiki. We also allow non-members to write in the wiki.
===Why is the member wiki a public document?=== A:The wiki is a public site because we are a community educational organization that tries to provide information about technology and our activities to both members and the public. Your reminder that this is publicly visible should be a reminder to everyone that we should not post personal, private information that should be exposed to the public (e.g., e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc.).
What do I do if I break a tool? Do I have to pay for it?
Mark it as broken with date and your name. Email the Warden of the zone to which the tool belongs to figure out what to do.
What do I do if I damage, but do not break a tool?
Return the tool to the zone without marking it and contact the Waren by email.
Does a visitor require an escort? What if someone I don't know rings the bell and asks to wait for a member who isn't here yet?
Visitors require escorts. If you don't want to be a person's escort, find them one or tell them we don't have anyone who has the time to show them around and ask them to come another time and then turn off the Twitterbot. If they want to wait for a member not yet here, you can let them in if YOU are their escort. Don't leave until they are united with the member.
Who do I see if I need training on a piece of equipment?
Email the warden for that zone.
Will you build this gizmo for me?
No. We'll help you build it, but we're not a job shop. We're not an engineering firm. We're not a contract house. We're a club. You can be part of the club! You can use the group's tools, and toss ideas around with anyone who'll listen. (And maybe you could strike a side deal with an individual member, but that's beyond the scope of this document.)
What are your hours? I stopped in the other day and nobody answered the door.
We have no paid staff, and thus no regular business hours. Someday that may change, but for now, swing by when the Twitterbot says we're open, or during a scheduled event. Members have 24/7 card access.
So I need to be a member to come in?
Guests are welcome any time the Twitterbot says so. Stop in, flag down a member, sign a waiver, and take a tour. Then get to work on your project!
How do I become a member?
Can I give you a pile of computer junk?
Yeah, if it's not hazmat-nasty. Really, we've got all the computer junk we know what to do with, but we can schlep it to a recycler just as easily as you can. Optics junk, laser junk, and lab equipment junk, on the other hand! Now that might be interesting.
I still have a question
If you can't find what you're looking for, please add your question to this list:
- What do I need to do in order to hold a class?
- The Proposal page doesnt seem to have all the proposals i see in the Minutes. What is this page for?
- Is a plot temporary or permanent? If temporary, for how long?
- How does something get in the Graveyard?
- Do we do a group project for MakerFaire from i3?
- Are all the rules listed in Standing Rules? If not, where are they?
- How do I change the Rules? What if I am not a Core Member?
- What is the CRM for? Is there a description of its functionality? What data/reports are available to members? What are available to Board only?
- What is etiquette for cleaning up stuff that isn't yours?
- What do I do if I see a personal item that I think someone has left?
- What are the appropriate replies in the Member list?
- Why do members sometimes post what look to be messages to the membership in the Public List?
- Are the equipment available to non-members? How?
- Why isn't the PC graveyard a zone?
- What should I do if a non-member asks me if they can donate an item?
- What do I do if I need to have a question answered in between Member meetings?
- Who empties the Where Do I Go boxes?
- What is a Manta?
- Who can write an article for the Web site? How? What is the etiquette?