HOWTO Change the Thread on the Husqvarna Designer SE
This mini-tutorial describes how to change the thread, rewind bobbins, and adjust the bobbin tension on the Husqvarna Designer SE.
To change the spool (embroidery) thread:
1. Raise the upper spool by gently pulling outward.
2. Remove the end cap; pull off the old spool, and pull the thread out of the machine.
3. Put a new spool on the upper spool. Replace the end cap with the tines pointing inward.
4. Pull the thread into the path indicated by the arrows. It should catch there. If you get it wrong, just tug gently to correct, or pull the thread out entirely and try again.
6. Thread the needle using tweezers, or use the attached needle threader. Instructions are not yet detailed here. An illustrated diagram will be added as time permits.
To change the bobbin (lower) thread:
1. Pull off the clear plastic bobbin cover plate.
2. Pull out the round bobbin.
WARNING: Use ONLY bobbin thread for filling bobbins.
The repair shop specially recommended the use of Robison-Anton filament poly bobbin thread. The spools are stocked in the same stack as the rest of the sewing supplies.
For instructions on how to fill a bobbin with thread using the Husqvarna's winding capabilities, see below.
3. With the 'D' or 'H' on the spool facing up, place the bobbin in the slot. Wind the thread into the slots as in the picture below; there's no need to worry about where the thread goes after it's caught in the third slot. Replace all covers.
To wind a bobbin with thread
1. With the 'D' or 'H' on the spool facing up, place an empty bobbin on the bobbin winder.
2. Place bobbin thread on the upper spool; rotate it into the upright position. (You may need to move the white disklike spool support up before you can move the spool.)
As noted above, use ONLY bobbin thread for filling bobbins.
3. Run the thread in the path shown below. Fasten it around the bobbin by running it around four or five times.
4. Push the bobbin winder lever forward.
5. The winding dialogue will popup on the LCD. Press 'Start' to begin winding.
You may need to adjust the speed to about half. If the bobbin spins without engaging the thread, try grabbing the loose end and holding it still for a second.
To adjust the bobbin tension:
The top (embroidery) spool sets tension using the dialogues in the Husqvarna. However, the tension on the bottom bobbin must be set manually.
Please note that you'll only ever need to change the bobbin tension if you're showing large amounts of white bobbin thread in your embroidery. You'll need to experiment to get the right setting.
1. As when replacing the bobbin, remove the bobbin's protective cover.
2. Remove the needle plate.
3. Remove the horseshoe-shaped cover over the bobbin case.
4. Remove the bobbin and bobbin case.
5. Find the flat-head screw set in the side of the bobbin case. Rotate it at most an eighth-turn; very small rotational changes produce surprisingly large tensioning changes.
6. Replace all components. Run a test scrap.