HOWTO Host an Event at i3detroit
Be a member
If you are not a member of i3detroit yet, that's ok. We love to have non-members host events at our space. However, you will need to either become a member yourself, or enlist the help of a current member.
Check with the other members
Out of courtesy, you're advised to run your idea past at least a couple other members. Bring up your idea at a meeting or on the mailing list.
Schedule the event
Look on the google calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=i3detroit%40gmail.com and pick an appropriate day. There's nothing wrong with two events going simultaneously, but try to avoid conflicts.
Contact Nick, Nate1 or Ted if you need help to add your event to the Calendar. Be sure to specify:
- Date and times, including duration
- Any description you want included
Create it on Eventbrite
Not all events need an Eventbrite page. Generally, if you need people to be able to reserve space at the event, you should use Eventbrite. Hit http://www.eventbrite.com/ and log in. Either use firstname.lastname@example.org if you know the password, or ask someone with access to add you individually to the account.
Publicize your event
- Post it to the public mailing list
- Make a blog post on the front page
- Follow the autotweet with some details in another tweet, if relevant
- Announce it to specific local groups whose members might not all be specifically following us. Try the Penguicon-general mailing list, for instance.
- The day before the event (if it's been a while since the initial announcement), repeat these steps.
Enlist the help of attendees or other members, if possible, but it is your responsibility to leave the shop clean at the end of the night.