Laser Cutter - Wolverine
|Laser Cutter - Wolverine|
|Make Model||Jinan G. Weike / WKLaser LC1290|
|Storage Location||West wall, you can't miss it.|
|Documentation|| The setup manual, File:OPERATIONAL MANUAL OF MACHINE xin USB.pdf is worth reading, if only for a laugh.
So much grief has arisen from the awful state of the documentation and software, that an entire Chinese laser support forum has arisen for the hapless owners of these machines help each other.
|Other References||Two good sources of info:|
- i3 Members may use this machine with permission of the owner.
- You must be trained to use this machine.
- There is a consumables fee for this machine of $0.25 per minute (or $15 per hour) of laser-on time. (Check the display on the machine right after your job completes to get the time it ran.)
- Place material (square to edge of honeycomb). You can also run the head left / right and watch the red dot to see if it moves parallel to the edge of the material. Adjust as needed.
- Cover inactive honeycomb area except an "intake" in front of the material. This directs smoke away from the gantry. If the other machine is not in use, cover the vents at the back of the OTHER machine to increase the exhaust flow.
- Turn powerstrip for the chiller and blower on. This should bring up the chiller and air-assist pump.
- Push gently on rubber hose to trigger chiller alarm, verifying that it's awake.
- Make sure there is nothing obstructing the path of the laser head toward the right rear of the working surface! Turn keyswitch to on, and wait for boot and home to complete.
- Jog head over to start of cut.
- Grab a focus-chip and keep one hand over emergency-stop while setting Z. On Wolverine, do two quick jogs up on the Z-axis if you use the auto-focus / Datum feature.
- Wave hand under head and verify that air-assist is blowing.
- Download design from LaserCut software.
- Keep one hand over emergency-stop while using Test to check boundaries.
- Turn on the exhaust fan.
- Lift the fire extinguisher and set it back down. This verifies that your muscle-memory knows where it is.
- Press Start.
- DO NOT WALK AWAY. See http://www.thinkhaus.org/2011/04/03/lazzoring-is-serious-business/ for why.
We do not know the maintenance schedule for this machine yet. The tube is warranted for 10 months and eventually will need to be replaced. The glass should be cleaned regularly, and the screw drives for the Z-axis should be checked for lubrication.
A list of commonly asked questions
Develop a list of materials, with speed and power settings for various cutting depths. Add bumpers under the lid. Add stringer gas shocks so the lid does not slam shut.