The official, members-only mailing list is:
All members should be subscribed to this and the public mailing list.
Please be considerate of your fellow members and keep the chatter and "me too" replies to a reasonable level.
Mailing List Etiquette
- Assume good faith.
- Be excellent to each other.
- Gently correct, off-list the first time.
- Offer help, not derision.
- If you must criticize, back it up with facts, not feelings.
- In that case, be sure to offer a path to make it right.
- When you make one post, roughly a hundred people to have to read it.
- The mailing list is not chat. Please use IRC or off-list email for that.
- If every member posts ONE MESSAGE A DAY, the resulting deluge overwhelms us
- Therefore, strive only to post when you materially contribute to the discussion.
- Resist the urge to "chime in", as this snowballs and doesn't add to the discussion.
- Make your first post in a thread count. Put in all the detail you think people might ask about, to avoid the ask-and-respond message pingpong.
Choice of venue:
- i3detroit-public is appropriate for local events, tech questions, etc.
- i3detroit (the members-only list) is for stuff-in-the-shop, and private business.
- i3 Forums Maybe a better place for unimportant chat/discussions ex. What should we call this....
- To start a new thread, email the list directly or use the New Post button on the Groups website. DO NOT REPLY TO AN OLD MESSAGE WITH A NEW SUBJECT LINE. That breaks things.
- Trim your quoted section to just the relevant parts. Some mailers do horrid things with quoted sections and we all have to slog through it.
- If replying off-list, try to remember to change the [i3detroit] subject tag to something else, so their filters know it's not a list email.