How To Use The Mentor Pool/Program
New Members in Stage 2 of the Orientation process are the people using the Mentor Pool. Only signup a Mentor if:
- The Mentor has Active Status here in the wiki.
- The Mentor matches zone interest with the Mentee or has a General rating.
- A Mentor is committing to handling 1 Mentee per quarter, as soon as your Mentor accepts you please post in Slack #New-Member as you match mentors, so that I can keep the ACTIVE status current and manage the pool.
Let me know in Slack if these instructions need modification. - Terry W
Current Mentor/Mentee List
|Mentor||Mentee||Start Date||End Date|
|Terry Wynn||Vanessa Lipson||12/1/2015||3/1/2016|
|Greg Smith||Augie Engelheart||1/23/16||5/6/16|
|Steve Nowicki||Frank Arthmire||2/2/16||5/6/16|
|David Henry||Amy Hang||2/2/16||5/6/16|
|Roger Slykhouse||Phillip Lee||2/2/16||5/6/16|
|James O'Dell||Adrian Ionascu||05/17/16||08/17/16|
|Andrew Meyer||Ethan Piliavin||2/16/16||5/6/16|
|Charlie Rysenga||Jacob Scholl||2/16/16||5/6/16|
|Leora Druckman||Steve Arcangeli||2/16/16||5/6/16|
|Dave Scholl||Steve Sorensen||2/16/16||5/6/16|
|Terry Wynn||Andrew Mejeur||5/17/16|
|Terry Wynn||Mike Jen||5/17/16|
Active Mentor Pool
|Terry Wynn||Kiln, CNC, Laser, General||Available|
|Roger Slykhouse||Laser, General||Available|
|Andrew Meyer||Fablab, General||Available|
|Leora Druckman||Kiln Zone, Jewelry||Booked Q2|
|Greg Smith||WoodShop, Laser, General||Booked Q2|
|David Henry||Woodshop, General||Available|
|Jamie Burdeski||Laser, Craft, Wiki||Available|
|Charlie Rysenga||Letterpress, Electronics, Laser||Available|
|Steve Nowicki||General||Booked Q2.|
|James O'Dell||Arduino, Electronics, Programming||Booked Q2|
|James Kemp||CNC, Electronics||Booked Q2|
- Mentoring lasts for 90 days
- The goal of mentoring is to ease the transition of being a new member at i3 and prevent frustration and early exit.
- The primary activity of a mentor is answering questions or telling the newbie where to find the answer.
- Upon signup the Mentor should immediately make contact by email with the Mentee and ping the Mentee once per week for the first 4 weeks and once per 2 weeks until 90 days are up.
- The purpose of the email contact is simply ask for questions/problems.
- The Mentor should also meet with the Mentee twice in the 90 day period. First, at or soon after signup. Second at the 21-35 day mark.
During the second appointment:
- Make sure new member can log into CRM, Google Groups, Slack, Wiki. Ask them to bring their laptop.
- Discuss a potential improvement and encourage the new member to begin implementing it.
- Make A Wiki member page!