How To Use The Mentor Pool/Program
The Signup Team are the people using the Mentor Pool. Only signup a Mentor with a Mentee if:
- The Mentor has Active Status here in the wiki.
- The Mentor matches zone interest with the Mentee or has a General rating.
- Only do a match if a Mentor is present the night of the signup.
- A Mentor is committing to handling 1 Mentee per quarter, don't sign them up with 2 in one night.
- Currently we don't have enough Mentors to last the whole quarter, don't use them all up at once.
This will mean that until we increase the Mentor pool, some nights you will not match all your signups. You will need to manage this.
Also, please post in Slack #Guest-Policy as you match mentors, so that I can keep the ACTIVE status current and manage the pool.
Let me know in Slack if these instructions need modification. - Terry W
Current Mentor/Mentee List
|Mentor||Mentee||Start Date||End Date|
|Terry Wynn||Vanessa Lipson||12/1/2015||3/1/2016|
|Greg Smith||Augie Engelheart||1/23/16|
|Steve Nowicki||Frank Arthmire||2/2/16|
|David Henry||Amy Hang||2/2/16|
|Roger Slykhouse||Phillip Lee||2/2/16|
|Andrew Meyer||Ethan Piliavin||2/16/16|
|Charlie Rysenga||Jacob Scholl||2/16/16|
|Leora Druckman||Steve Arcangeli||2/16/16|
|Dave Scholl||Steve Sorensen||2/16/16|
Active Mentor Pool
|Terry Wynn||Kiln, CNC, Laser, General||Available|
|Roger Slykhouse||Laser, General||Booked Q1.|
|Andrew Meyer||Fablab, General||Booked Q1|
|Leora Druckman||Kiln Zone, Jewelry||Booked Q1|
|Greg Smith||WoodShop, Laser, General||Booked Q1.|
|David Henry||Woodshop, General||Booked Q1.|
|David Scholl||Woodshop||Booked Q1|
|Jamie Burdeski||Laser, Craft, Wiki||Available|
|Charlie Rysenga||Letterpress, Electronics, Laser||Booked Q1|
|Steve Nowicki||General||Booked Q1.|
|James O'Dell||Arduino, Electronics, Programming||Booked Q1.|
|James Kemp||CNC, Electronics||Booked Q1.|
- Mentoring lasts for 90 days
- The goal of mentoring is to ease the transition of being a new member at i3 and prevent frustration and early exit.
- The primary activity of a mentor is answering questions or telling the newbie where to find the answer.
- Upon signup the Mentor should immediately make contact by email with the Mentee and ping the Mentee once per week for the first 4 weeks and once per 2 weeks until 90 days are up.
- The purpose of the email contact is simply ask for questions/problems.
- The Mentor should also meet with the Mentee twice in the 90 day period. First, at or soon after signup. Second at the 21-35 day mark.
During the second appointment:
- Make sure new member can log into CRM, Google Groups, Slack, Wiki. Ask them to bring their laptop.
- Discuss a potential improvement and encourage the new member to begin implementing it.
- Make A Wiki member page!