|Storage Location||Miscellaneous supply shelf, NW corner|
|Other References||Hacks wiki:
Workflow for 3d models, mentions craft robo but should work for SCAL or MTC too: http://digitprop.com/2011/05/from-blender-to-pepakura-to-corel-draw-to-craftrobo/
Open-source cutter driver: http://sourceforge.net/projects/licut/
If/when it breaks, we'll need this info: http://everhack.blog.atxhackerspace.org/2012/02/08/cricut-repair-info/
ATX Hackerspace has a cricut and lots of info here: http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Hosted/10000020
Like a miniature vinyl cutter, but for paper. Allows cutting of arbitrary shapes when used with special software on Craft Room laptop; otherwise, requires special cartridges with pre-loaded designs.
- Anyone is allowed to use the Cricut.
- No training is required before use. (First-time users should browse the quick-start guide, below.)
- DO NOT update Sure Cuts A Lot. Later versions lack the capability to connect to the Cricut.
- DO NOT update the Cricut's firmware beyond v. 2.3.
- DO NOT use the official software (this will peform the above update.)
Note, Nate B has a license for the old version of Sure Cuts-A-Lot that works on this machine. It's installed on the craft-room laptop, but if that's damaged or unavailable, contact Nate B for the software.
Template:Warnsign The following procedure requires:
- An SVG file, or the time and willingness to create a design file as noted below
- Paper. Any thickness works; untextured papers are preferred.
- Set up the Cricut. The power cord is in the box labeled "Cricut Accessories". A USB cable should be there too.
- Find and press the power button, by the 'Cut' and 'Stop' buttons.
- Boot the Craft Room laptop. Connect the Cricut using the USB cord in the Cricut accessories box.
- Start Sure Cuts A Lot.
- At this point, either import an existing SVG or create a cut file within Sure Cuts A Lot.
- Mount the selected paper on the sticky-backed cutting mat.
- Place the mat at the Cricut's front roller, and press the "load paper" button, lower-right of the many-buttons region.
- Find the 'Cut' icon (shaped like scissors) in the icon bar. Press it, and confirm the machine selection.
- Your design will cut automatically. Press "unload paper" to do the obvious.
- When done, please replace the plastic cover-sheet onto the sticky mat, preserving the sticky.
- Then hang the mat on the pushpin provided for that purpose, on the wall just to the left of the shelf where the Cricut lives. (Don't bend the mats if you can avoid it.)
KF 6/16/2014. Needs notes on swapping blade cartridges with the plotter (not practical) and vinyl cutter (practical, blade needs to be moved further out of cartridge. Needs notes on lubrication of knife. Needs notes on use of speed and pressure dials (at front left of machine).