Laser Cutter Time of Cut Checklist
- Make sure there is nothing obstructing the path of the laser head toward the right rear of the working surface if the head isn’t already there.
- Press the silver power button on the laser, and wait for it to boot and auto-home.
- The chiller, laser exhaust fan, and air compressor should all turn on when the laser turns on. You should hear the chiller beep and the noise of the exhaust fan. (If this does not happen, see “Steps for manual override” at the end of this list.)
- Assure the exhaust blast gate is open on the back of the laser cutter. Slide the door all the way open (toward you).
- If the other laser is not in use, close the blast gate at the back of the other laser to increase the exhaust flow.
- Place material (square to edge of honeycomb or gantry).You can also run the head left / right and watch the red dot to see if it moves parallel to the edge of the material. Adjust alignment as needed.
- With the D-pad, jog the head over to center of material.
- Press "Z" to enter the mode to raise or lower the bed.
- Set the focus with one of the acrylic manual focus gauges.
- Press "Z" again to exit Z mode.
- Check the mirrors for debris, and clean if necessary. ‘’’ONLY’’’ use lense cleaner and microfiber lens cloths to clean mirrors. Paper towels will ruin them. If you are unsure, ask someone for help.
- Make sure the yellow manual air valve on the wall is open (parallel to the pipe).
- Make sure "Blow" is enabled in the Cut or Engrave options dialog in LaserCut (Next to power and speed.) For cutting, use "Always blow". For engraving, use "Blow".
- Download your design from LaserCut software to the laser cutter.
- With the D-pad, jog the head to start of your cut.
- Keep one hand over the emergency-stop while using the "Test" button to check boundaries.
- Lift the fire extinguisher and set it back down. This verifies that your muscle-memory knows where it is.
- Press "Start".
- ‘’’DO NOT WALK AWAY’’’. See http://www.thinkhaus.org/2011/04/03/lazzoring-is-serious-business/ for why.
- When the laser cutter finishes, observe the elapsed time on LCD and put money into box.
- Remove all material, scrap, and cutouts from the laser bed. Please leave it clear for the next person.
- Press the silver power button to turn off the laser cutter. The chiller should automatically turn off. The exhaust fan should also turn off if the other laser cutter is not in use.
Steps for Manaul Override
In the unlikely event that there is a problem with this automation system, there are manual overrides in place to turn everything on.
- The air compressor can be turned on with its physical power button.
- The exhaust fan can be turned on via a black and orange box with a white button on the wall next to bumblebee labeled “Laser Exhaust”.
- The chiller can be turned on with the small black button on the white “Sonoff” module that is on the top front of the chiller.