Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20140311

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search


Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20140211 Board Meeting Minutes 20140408


Chair Justin Triplett


  • Nate B calls Maddy old
  • Matt 0.
    • Here for 3 years
    • He's been president on and off, except for 4 months
    • Does electronics, made twitter bot, mind controlled flame, laminar fountain, soon to be made tentacles
    • Hair has not been lit on fire yet
  • Brian - new member, moved to MI from TX about a year ago. Works on bluetooth stuff and playing around with audio, electronics, musical instruments, looking for people to build stuff with

Action Item Review

  • Dave Scholl - Come up with a proposal for how donations in zone boxes are reflected in the budget
    • not present
  • Evan Allen - Take care of billing B. Nectar for the electric bill
    • Board moves to have the treasurer do that ASAP, 5 in favor
  • Justin Triplett - Get scanning on the Mac set up to send i3 official documents to the Bit-Torrent sync
    • Large pile of paper got scanned
    • Still need help getting rid of that paper
    • Putting together a
  • Evan Allen - Make sure we have paid rent
    • Done

Topics and Proposals

Web Domain Renewal

Point of Contact: Evan Allen

  • Renew for 5 years. $166.
We propose that we consider domain name services for our primary website an essential bill and that that should be paid by the treasurer as a utility.
  • 5 of 5 present in favor
  • Proposal passes

Domain Funding for Seltzer

  • Requesting $16/year to pay for a domain name to help support development of SelterCRM
  • We help SeltzerCRM get more exposure as an open source software
  • We get software contributions from other users
  • We use Seltzer to keep track of membership and dues payment
  • Many other hackerspaces use and contribute to this project
Propose to make funding for seltzer.org domain will be added to our utilities as our other domains have been as well
  • 5 of 6 present in favor, 1 virtual
  • Proposal passes

Proper Bumblebee/Wolverine Ventilation

Point of Contact: Amelia Meyer

  • Need to improve the ventilation systems to properly vent smoke and fumes from the space.
    • Fan is 1900 CFM which is over spec, but lowes
      • $450
      • Lowest end blower in its series
      • Similar to the new one for the Fab Lab
    • Other option is 750 CFM, which is under specification for the laser cutters
      • highest end blower in its series
    • Duct work, better than the spiral hose we have now
    • 190ft of duct
  • Could welding area also be vented?
  • Estimating $1200 for fan and ducting
Proposal to allocate $1200 for a new ventilation system for the Bumblebee and Wolverine laser cutters.
  • 6 of 6 in favor present, 1 virtual
  • Proposal passes

Large Project Storage

Point of Contact: Justin Triplett

  • Concern over the loss of large project storage was bought up by Terry W. at the previous meeting. I expect it to be discussed again, specifically because Terry has a proposal that he also previously presented.

Proposal for Large Project Area

  • Terry W
  • Arrangements have not been made to have the Rainbowtron, no response from owner
* Proposal is for Large Project Area to be an area from the West edge of the Welding, Plasma, Kiln, Forklift, and Injection zones to a line 18' from the East Wall. We have marked the 18' line for inspection at the meeting.
* Large Project Area would be marked by Yellow Tape during Potlock
* Greg will update layout for any approved changes.
* Remove the move-able wall/whiteboard
* Furniture (big white wall, BBQ, trash cans, etc.  Will need to be relocated into the commons area or disposed.  Reorganization of the common furniture is not within the scope of this proposal
* The effected wardens would require only Projects be in that area (not furniture or other Group materiel), and Projects be able to be moved (either by having wheels or being on a pallet) so that zone access is not permanently blocked.

East Wall Zone Shuffle and 3' Expansion of Kiln Zone.=

  • Terry W
  • Talked to all Coordinators along East Wall and John Sugg (Vaccuuform) by email.
  • Proposal from the East wall wardens
  • Vacuum former will get a permanent home in the kiln zone, using the same power connection, but possibly not running simultaneously
Proposal to move the plasma cutter into the CNC Zone and slide all zones down expand the Kiln zone by 3ft along the East wall into where the plasma cutter currently resides.
  • 6 of 6 present in favor
  • Proposal passes

Proposal Shuffle East Wall Zones and Expand Kiln Zone from 5' to 8' width

Point of Contact: Terry W

The East Wall Coordinators propose the Board change the floor plan allowing:

  • to shuffle the plasma cutter into the CNC Zone and slide all zones down. This moves the Plasma Cutter at the Request of CNC Coordinator Brian W.
  • to slide all the other zones to the South along the wall after the Plasma Cutter is moved to the CNC Zone.
  • To expand the Kiln Zone width from 5' to 8' to accommodate Ceramics use at the request of Kiln Zone Coordinator Terry W.
  • The expanded Kiln Zone will house the Vacuuform, which is currently in the space with the Plasma Cutter.
  • This will all be done at Potlock. Cost $150 from Potlock funds.

February 28 Budget Report

Point of Contact: Terry W

Aug 31, 2013 – Feb 28, 2014 Budget Report Summary

Terry W – Budget Drone Exec. Summary: Happy Dance. Feb.28.2014 Report Spreadsheet (pdf) and a copy of this summary are in i3 Data Vault, Admin/Budget/Report folder.

All of the accounting is now caught up from the transition, including dues logged in the CRM. We will be current from this point onward.

We have successfully absorbed all the big purchases from the last 12 months. We are now back to more money in the bank than when we started. Although this report is for the fiscal year through Feb 28, I have stated the bank balances as of 3/8 because we had a lot of Jan and Feb dues that were just deposited on 3/5 as part of catching up.

I recommend that the Board drop the austerity restrictions at the Board meeting and go back to normal budget spending.

Bank Balance 7/31/13 3/8/14

Emergency Fund $ 5,009 $ 5,010

General Fund $10,441 $16,781

For the Month of February, 2014***

Revenue Feb $ 0

Exp. & Eq Feb -$ 3,542

Net Feb -$ 3,542

      • Note this doesn't have deposits of over $12,000 made in early March.

For the Fiscal Year (Starts 8/1/13)***

Planned Dip into General Fund -$8,932

Actual Dip into General Fund -$8,880

Expenses and Equipment are running 93% of budget predictions.

Laser Fund 1483.75 Vinyl Fund 200

Financial Fitness Grade : A-

The only reason I don't give an A is that I want to see dues averages for March and April. Our budget has them at $4900 each month and we are probably right at that number, plus or minus a couple of hundred and I would like to see exactly where we are averaging over a longer period.


Proposal to resume the 2013-2014 budget as planned including the budget items that were previously deferred by austerity measures.
  • 6 of 6 present in favor
  • Proposal passes

2013 Tax Return

Action Items

  • Dave Scholl - Come up with a proposal for how donations in zone boxes are reflected in the budget
  • Evan Allen - Take care of billing B. Nectar for the electric bill
  • Justin Triplett - Get scanning on the Mac set up to send i3 official documents to the Bit-Torrent sync
  • Evan Allen - File the 990-EZ by May 15

Meeting Metrics

  • Meeting completed at 8:27 PM
  • 13 people present
  • $1382 new spending passed in proposals


  • Justin Triplett
  • Maxwell Gonyea-Alexander
  • Brian Donaghue
  • Evan Allen
  • Amelia Meyer
  • Terry Wynn
  • Konrad Brown
  • Madalyn Winans
  • Devon Truscott
  • Steve Brook
  • Adrienne Patterson
  • Matt Huber
  • Marie Enga