Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20151110

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 11-10-2015

Chair: Charlie Cowbell @ 7:40

Introductions

Nobody new.

Announcements

n/a

Old Business

  • 'how to use the tax id' guideline Defer to Dec 1. TW
  • Give old air compressor back to former members. Will plan to dispose of next week at member meeting if not claimed prior. Nathan W. works with Russ and will attempt contact.
  • RFID System - no updates, waiting on construction.
  • Camera Policy - Discussed on slack. Will be a proposal at next member meeting.


New Business

Proposal (withdrawn) – Kiln Zone - Terry Wynn

  • I propose to close the Kiln zone starting Jan 1, with a transition period of 45 days.
  • The 3 kilns will be allocated as follows.
  • The large porcelain kiln (Kara Thomas') will be mounted on a rolling platform to be made and budgeted in December. It would then be allocated a slot in the MESA.
  • The small kiln would replace the large kiln, if Kara takes her kiln back. If not, it would be sold.
  • The low glass kiln would be placed in long term storage in a manner yet to be determined.
  • The Pottery Wheel would also be allocated to the MESA.
  • The tools would be sent to the Tool Crib, possibly in a single dedicated storage module, TBD.
  • The molds would be sold/disposed of.
  • The supplies would be sold/disposed of.
  • The space would be deallocated as a zone in mid-Feb.
  • I would oversee this as my last act as warden.

Discussion points

  • Keep tools and equipment, but make it mobile.
  • Should this go to member vote?
  • Fence around kiln was to provide buffer due to heat. How does this work with a mobile kiln?
  • Kiln use needs a safe keep out zone.
  • Possible transfer of supplies and storage to Jewelry zone.
  • Kiln has only seen use during the classes.
  • Could try modifications to kiln.
  • Donate unwanted equipment to another makerspace.
  • Used kilns do not have a high value.

Proposal (withdrawn) - VP Floor Planning Office - Terry Wynn

I am proposing a VP Floor Planning office be created.

  • It would have the same term as other officers.
  • The VPFP would have unilateral decision making for any decision concerning floor planning, except as delineated herein. However, any decision is subject to Board vote override and it would be expected that on larger issues, the VPFP would make recommendations to the Board for Board approval.
  • The VPFP would be "in charge" of all unzoned areas, including MESA and Member Storage, and have unilateral decision making power, subject to Board override. The VPFP has no budget other than explicit items presented to the Board by the VPFP and approved by the Board.
  • All Member Storage rules would be set by General Membership vote, as is the case currently.
  • The VPFP would be responsible for keeping the list of Wardens current as well as recruiting new Wardens. VPFP would replace the Board as the decision maker for un-wardened zones, subject to Board vote override.
  • All requests for a new zone, or a space modification for an existing zone, would be given to the Board by the Warden In Charge, with an Opinion from the VPFP.
  • The VPFP would be responsible for any recommendation to the Board for closing a Zone, but does not have the authority to do so without Board vote.

Discussion:

  • Terry: committee is too slow and too many directions.
  • Really needs a single point of contact.
  • VP of floor planning. VP will propose larger changes to board, will act on smaller requests. position would also include member storage.
  • Who is responsible for for replacement coordinators. Who has the ability to close a zone?
  • Charlie: add a quarterly introductions to membership with introduction and purpose.
  • How does this impact floor space budget?
  • Discussions on whiteboard room and how it changed what it is. it has evolved, but the organic growth and change over time isn't a bad thing.
  • Does mesa need a coordinator?
  • Committees can be useful for research and coordination but not for making decisions in a timely fashion
  • VP would build proposal and submit to the board with an approve or reject. VP would attend meetings and represent project.
  • Everybody's job is nobody's job.
  • Why not a chair of committee vs a VP?
  • Do not need to distribute authority.
  • Officer does have more power and can be more agile.
  • Who is the point person and what role do they have.
  • Who makes decisions about what comes into and moves into the space? - currently this just needs a proposal and approval of the board.
  • Creating a spot and expecting someone to fill it isn't a good plan.
  • Terry has issues making the committee function. Committee is too big. Coordination is difficult.
  • How about researching best practices on floor planning?
  • Further discussion tabled to board list.

Individual Payment History Privacy Policy Proposal - Terry Wynn

I note that i3 Detroit does not have a published policy for the privacy of the Payment History of individual members.

Therefore, I propose that the Board adopt and publish the following policy:


Proposal:

Individual Payment History Privacy Policy

  • Only the Treasurer will regularly review the detailed payment history of individual members.
  • Individual Payment History details not be available to the General Membership, but aggregate statistical data will be, as it is developed.
  • Board members and officers will retain the option of viewing individual payment history on a case by case basis.


Moved by Terry W.; Seconded by Mike F.
5 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Update to Individual Payment History Privacy Policy Proposal - Mike Fink, Second Matt Huber

Proposal:
Individual Payment History Privacy Policy: Your payment history is semi-private and will only be used by i3 as needed to run the organization.
Moved by Mike F.; Seconded by Matt H.
5 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Note: The change in policy was required to allow people to continue to do what they are currently doing.

Classroom Electrical Budget - Charlie Rysenga

1)Rough Electrical
	Goals:
		1) Add new outlets near proposed tables for student use.
		2) Reposition light fixtures for better lighting in classroom
		3) Rewire light fixtures for 1/3 and 2/3 switching
		4) Lay low voltage conduit and fixtures for future multimedia upgrade
	
	Items Required:
		Goal 1:
			Romex, 14-2, 1 x 250ft Bundle
			Slim Outlets, 1-gang old work, 12
			Plug, 15A, 12
			
		Goal 2:
			Ceiling Box, 1-gang, 8
			Ceiling Box, Cover, 8			
			
		Goal 3:
			Romex, 14-3, 1 x 100ft Bundle
			Slim Outlets, 1-gang old work, 2
			Outlet, 2-gang old work, 1
			Switch, 3-way, 2
			
		Goal 4:
			Smurf Tube, 1", 1 x 50ft Bundle
			Low Voltage Old Work Box, 1-gang, 3
			Face Plate, Blank, 3
	
	Unexpected Expenses: $100
	Cost not to exceed: $
2) Lighting upgrade
	Goals:
		1) Upgrade all of the existing lighting fixtures in the classroom and hallway to LEDs
		
	Items Required:
		Goal 1:
			
	Unexpected Expenses: $100
	Cost not to exceed: $
3) Multimedia upgrade
	Goals:
		1) Provide hardware so that presenters can display multimedia objects from a computer
		
	Items Required:
		Goal 1:
			HDMI Cable,  20ish ft, 2
			HDMI Face Plate, Dual, 2
			
			With Option 1 Add: Projector Based
				Projector
				Screen
				Speaker System
				
			With Option 2 Add: TV Based
				TV Wall Mount
				TV 65"
				Sound Bar

	Unexpected Expenses: $100
	Cost not to exceed: $
4) Furniture Upgrade
	Goals:
		1) Acquire narrow tables to increase lecture-style seating in classroom
		
	Items Required:
		Goal 1:
			Folding Tables, 18"x60", 3
			Folding Tables, 18"x72", 4
			
	Unexpected Expenses: $100
	Cost not to exceed: $


Proposal:
Allocate up to $1000 budget for rough electrical work to accomplish goals stated in the electrical planning.
Moved by Evan A.; Seconded by Matt A.
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Floor Plan Report

See discussion on withdrawn proposal.

Officer Reports

n/a


Treasury and Budget Report for October, 2015

  • Financial Grade: A
  • Financial Grade: A
  • Emergency: $10K Checking : $15.5K
  • Big Debts Looming: Construction and Engineering
  • All Membership changed to $49 on Oct 1.
  • 93 Subscriptions 12 annuals - Goal 100 total
  • Dunning emails sent on 8th and 31st.
  • Terminating membership for those who haven't paid anything in 3 months (except those people that pay ahead).
  • In August, September and October we exceeded planned dues and had a profit. This is a good trend.
  • 2016 Budget meeting proposed for Sat Dec 12 starting at NOON.


TReportOct15.JPEG

Membership Coordinator

n/a

Secretary

  • Still working on transition.
  • Do not have access to secretary mailbox.
  • Evan assisting with fixing the officer list template. Expect display issues have something to do with new positions created.

President

  • Charlie: public face. Wants to work on communication issues and formalize how and how often things are communicated.
  • Looking for direction on public facing duties.
  • Working to transfer VP duties to the current VP.

Senior Vice President

n/a

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Nothing is currently scheduled.
  • Another ESP8622 class is coming soon.
  • lists of classes on front page (blog) and Eventbrite

VP of Membership-Onboarding

  • We've gained some members but I can't get the CRM to sort by cid or date so I don't have a number; I'll ask mjgardes to help with those queries manually. I'm working on an overhaul to the mentorship system because it's been really hard getting mentors lately.
  • 6 new members in the last month, was able to get that from my email

VP of Membership-Retention

  • My wiki edit history has the details if you're curious, but I'm working on figuring out the actual procedures to actually do when someone stops being a member, because that's something we seriously need to tighten up.
  • I've been working with the Treasurer on how my office interacts with his, in terms of the emails sent to members who are in arrears, etc. That's not solid yet either. The functions are commingled in Seltzer and in duty, but we're trying to figure out a sensible separation and cooperation to the greatest extent possible.

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

n/a

Lost & Found Party

Action Items

no action items yet, Charlie.

Proposals

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Individual Payment History Privacy Policy
  • Only the Treasurer will regularly review the detailed payment history of individual members.
  • Individual Payment History details not be available to the General Membership, but aggregate statistical data will be, as it is developed.
  • Board members and officers will retain the option of viewing individual payment history on a case by case basis.
Terry W.Mike F.50PASS
Allocate up to $1000 budget for rough electrical work to accomplish goals stated in the electrical planning.Evan A.Matt A.70PASS
Individual Payment History Privacy Policy: Your payment history is semi-private and will only be used by i3 as needed to run the organization.Mike F.Matt H.50PASS

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 9:17
  • Funds appropriated: $1000
  • Attendees: 11

Attendance

  1. Terry W.
  2. Charlie R.
  3. Matt H.
  4. Leora D.
  5. Matt A.
  6. David H.
  7. Mike F.
  8. James O.
  9. Evan A. (hangout)
  10. Matt G. (hangout)
  11. Nate B. (hangout)



Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20151013 Board Meeting Minutes 20151208