Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20160412

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 04-12-2016

Chair: Mike Fink





Old Business

Media Lab

  • We created this last year
  • It's been kind of quiet since it got cleaned out (other than the occasional pianist)
  • Has any budget been spent yet? Mike will check with Terry.
  • How can we help/nudge the coordinators?
  • Matt: Lucas has been putting work into it. Will follow up with Lucas on plans before next Board mtg.

Protomat purchase

  • How's this going?
  • I (Mike) spoke to Neil after the last member meeting, and he was hoping to talk to Terry about it.
  • Tabled until next meeting.

Member's Stuff Remaining on Site

What is the plan for getting Steve's stuff removed. Matt A will follow up with Terry on it.

New Business

Wood Shop Camera Review

  • Requested by Greg; subsequently rescinded for table saw because person who abused table saw contacted him.
  • Charlie requested review between 12:30 pm to 6 pm today regarding broken guard on band saw in Wood Shop. Discussion about Charlie as requester vs who will use it. Discussion about how much time to allow a member who damages or knows of damage to a tool to report it. Since only two Board members need to approve, dropped the request pending possible reporting.

Abandoned Cars Next Door

  • Two abandoned cars have been in front of the building next door. This takes up space, but neighbor seems to be tolerating it.
  • Potentially harms our relationship with them, so maybe take proactive action? If city decides they are abandoned, who will they blame? Discussion of how city might handle it. Suggested putting a timeline on it, emailing the owners if known, putting a notice on -announce, and contacting the neighbor. Charlie will handle it.

Space & Zone Discussions

Floor Plan

  • Are we happy with where arcade cabinet (MAME) is? Takes up a lot of space, but on wish list. Possible locations: classroom, commons area, media lab, or tree house. Revisit status at next Board mtg.
  • Similarly, gumball machine got buried. Owned by several Board members and donated to the Space. In general, Board members need to be cognizant of (physical) space requirements for anything brought into / donated to the Space. Suggested that Board members should follow same rules as everyone else to avoid bringing too much stuff in. Matt H pointed out that a donation form is required.

Leora will take care of form. Noted that donated items can be disposed of.

Lost and Found

  • This needs a home again, since it was evicted from its spot by the wall near the window. Moving L&F to table near arcade machines.

Table to be fixed so it doesn't get moved arbitrarily. Existing table to be removed.

Member Storage

  • Large project storage is only area south of edge of kiln zone. There are items for classroom squatting in the mobile tool storage, which may lead people to believe that it's project storage.
  • Timing of member storage clean-out was discussed. When Steve's stuff is moved out, need to take this up again, possibly as a Potlock item. Maybe don't need to wait, as we previously did with pallet storage. Discussed ways to accomplish the clearing. Evan will head up member

storage cleaning.

Commons area

  • Noted new disco ball in Sky Zone.

Tool Crib

  • Is the reservable workspace cleaned up like we said we would do last month?
    • Yes. Thanks Tom!
  • Camera Review? The tool crib has been left messy multiple times. Charlie requested a video review for the past 48 hours. Evan took up the request, since he and Danny are new coordinators for the zone. Joint request, and Matt H included to learn about process.
  • Nomination for Tool Crib Coordinator by Nate B: Danny. He's a new member, so may need help. Evan volunteered to assist.

Appoint Danny and Evan as co-coordinators for 90 days, at which point to be re-evaluated.

Moved by Jamie, Seconded by Matt H.
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

Deferred per email from Treasurer.


Not reported, because out of town.


  • Lots of outreach events
    • Cranbrook After Dark: Decided to do that Thursday. Charlie has sufficient help.
    • Shell Eco-Marathon on 23rd and 24th.
    • Maker Faire - starting planning booth. Meeting at 6 pm on Sunday. Not project planning help, just for logistics, etc.
  • Finding Lots of Publicity
    • Suburban Tool Video: seeing some interest as a result.
    • Hazel Park Public Access wants to do walk-around tour like Suburban Tool.
  • Presidential duties
    • Added scheduling of Potlock

Senior Vice President

  • Not in any specific order, (Making appointments for) demo/presentations for the following Zones:

Welding Kiln CNC Metal Shop Tool Crib (Vendor: American Integrated Supply) Wood-shop Laser (Vendor: Jewelry Vinyl Bike Fab-Lab e-lab Crafts I will be sending a list out via email to each zone coordinator

I would like to work with each Zone Coordinator to determine what they think would make a great demo/presentation for members and visitors.

Other items: ETSY Workshop Still figuring out contact person for Michigan. I'm thinking first week of May 2016

The demo/presentation are being created for those who plan on participating in Maker Faire 2016 and for those who just want to learn a few things to possibly assist you with advice, how-to's, and tips and tricks on your projects and makes.

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Charlie ran a report on tickets sold (132) and revenue ($1152 gross, $1023 net) from Jan 1st - Mar 1st. Discussed what to do with money. Does it go to the zone? Not defined at this point. Set up one line item to have high-level visibility of activity. Discussion of budget implications and potential distribution options for class proceeds.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

  • New process up and running with 4 people testing it. Some people had difficulty, so perhaps it's serving the purpose of familiarization. No statistics yet.

VP of Membership-Retention

  • Two people have dropped.

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

  • Mostly uneventful. Will report back next meeting on one pending issue.
  • Charlie asked for a written report to Board members.

Committee Reports

Moderation Committee

  • No news.

Scholarship Committee

  • Six month scholarship term has not been enforced. Would like to remove that stipulation and simply review monthly.

Replace the 6 month term for scholarships with a monthly review by Scholarship Committee and unlimited term.

Moved by Jamie, Seconded by Matt H.
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Streaming Proposal


Allow Roger S to sign off on SceneStream agreement on behalf of i3.

Moved by Evan, Seconded by Matt H.
5 Ayes / 1 Nays
Result: PASS

Lost & Found Party

Action Items

no action items yet, Charlie.


ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Appoint Danny and Evan as co-coordinators for 90 days, at which point to be re-evaluated.JamieMatt H.70PASS
Replace the 6 month term for scholarships with a monthly review by Scholarship Committee and unlimited term.JamieMatt H.70PASS
Allow Roger S to sign off on SceneStream agreement on behalf of i3.EvanMatt H.51PASS

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed:
  • Funds appropriated:
  • Attendees: 12


  1. Evan Allen
  2. Matt Arnold
  3. Jamie Burdeski
  4. Leora Druckman
  5. Michael Fink
  6. David Henry (HO)
  7. Matthew Gardeski (HO)
  8. Matt Huber
  9. Brian McPherson
  10. Charlie Rysenga
  11. Vivian Sanders
  12. Roger Slykhouse

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20160308 Board Meeting Minutes 20160503