Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20160510
- 1 Agenda for 05-10-2016
- 1.1 Introductions
- 1.2 Announcements
- 1.3 Old Business
- 1.4 New Business
- 1.5 Space & Zone Discussions
- 1.6 Officer Reports
- 1.7 Committee Reports
- 1.8 Lost & Found Party
- 1.9 Action Items
- 1.10 Proposals
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 05-10-2016
'Chair: Mike Fink ' 7:38 pm
- Eco Marathon Team Complaints
- Steve Storage now removed from space.
- Media Lab - Waiting for budget OK. Proposed freeze only for large purchases.
- Protomat purchase - Final costs are in will post to board list with details. About half of members are donating their portion.
- POC: Charlie - Finance audit. Needed for grant applications.
- There would be cost involved.
- Inventory is something that will be focused on.
- Terry's wild guess is $7,500 - $15,000.
- Would be a good idea to prepare.
- May require accounting changes and increased income tax filing.
- Would need an additional resources for accounting.
- The biggest change would be tracking of individual payments.
- Ask for anyone that has grants what other forms other than a full audit are acceptable.
Discussion on Guest Policy Enforcement
- Matt A to send out an announcement about what members can do now to ask guests to leave.
- Any member who hosts a guest is responsible for the guest. If they are not comfortable with this they should not be signed in.
- Action Item: Matt A. - Send out reminders on guest policy.
- Action Item: Vivian - add a sign with tour hours on the door.
General Discussion on Policy Enforcement
- Enforcement of policy for members that receive complaints.
- Suspension does not work if the members are only intending on a short term project.
- It would be consistent to follow the policy.
- Should the number of guests a member or members be reduced for minors? Should the number based on age of the minors? This will be addressed at a member meeting.
Discussion on the Proposal to Ban 20160503A
- Confusion on the proposal approval time and implementation time.
- If the member has many tools and other items in the space it would make sense to ban but allow a week to remove things.
- There were questions about the evidence and validity.
- How to both protect privacy and be transparent to the membership.
- We should make an announcement to explain to the membership what the logic and reasoning.
- Some understanding on why members on the banned list are there and what they were banned for.
- Create a "members in the past have been banned for the following".
- Matt A, to give a disciplinary report at the next member meeting.
- Action Item: David H. - Add location of the banned member list on the wiki. Actual location will not be public.
- Terry thanks the board for dealing with the difficult issues of discipline.
Proposal to Ban 20160510A
Discussion on Communications
- How to better handle board communications as the officers are not on the board slack channel and are not involved in board discussions.
- Will, plan to create an officers channel on slack.
Space & Zone Discussions
- Terry and Evan are working on a proposal to clear and clean member storage. Look for a proposal at the member meeting.
- Nearly all of Steve's stuff has been removed.
Treasurer & Budget
Treasury and Budget Report for March/April, 2016
- Financial Grade: B
- Emergency: $7.5K Checking : $3K BNektar: 2000 Paypal: 900 Total: 13.4K
- Classroom 60% paid. (2015&16)
- 99 Subscriptions 13 annuals.
- Much above normal dues below normal donations.
- On Mar 1, 134 paying members, 50 Hiatus, 6 Scholarship.
- Exited April much better cash position.
- Holding Big Ticket Items until 7/1.
- Eaton donation in pipeline.
- June 11 noon Semi-Annual Budget Mtg 1.5 hours. Catered.
- Plan replenish emergency fund once there is sufficient funding.
- Will add a delta report on annual subscriptions as it changes funding sufficiently.
- Will not be able to attend the June 11th budget meeting.
- Working on Maker Faire planing with Jamie and Dana.
- Investigating doing the learn to solder event as a fundraiser at Maker Faire.
- Expected to sell 1000+ kits.
- This requires many hours of commitment.
- 4H Tech wizards have offered to have some of their mentees spend time to help out with teaching.
- There is a large up front expense. Ballpark estimate is $4000 for kits, supplies, banners, etc. Would include about 2000 kits.
- Approximate cost is $1.25 / kit. Plan to sell for $2 plus donations.
- Also allows us to discuss i3 to a large number of people.
- May look into sponsorship.
- Will create a member poll to help get an idea of member direction. Send thoughts to Leora.
Senior Vice President
Updates | Other Stuff UDPATE
- Etsy I received the followed email
message: Hi there Vivian,
Thanks for getting in touch with Etsy Support.
Unfortunately we don't have any representatives available in Michigan. However, I'd be happy to help via email.
We are always excited when someone from our community teaches about Etsy. We do have educational collateral that you can use in your lessons and distribute to students. We recommend our Shop Critique Worksheet as a great starting point.
- Will work with James to coordinate a workshop possibly for June 2016
- Awaiting answers on vendor sponsored demos from Caniff Electronic ASPS Plastics
- Working with Charlie to do i3Detroit Fund raising.
VP of Activities & Classes
- April Events
- April 1st - Electronic Music Creation - Thomas Xu
- Every other Wednesdays - Homebrew Website Club - Matt Arnold
- April 16th - Eastern Michigan Python User Group - Jonathan Baginski
- April 27th - Bike Repair Workshop - Arthur Bledsoe
- April 28th - Plastic Injection Molding - Thad Johnson
- May Events
- Sundays - Sewing SIG - Jan Henry
- Every other Wednesdays - Homebrew Website Club - Matt Arnold
- May 6th - Preparing your Fabric Design into a Digital Design - David Henry
- 1st and 3rd Thursday - Tabletop Gaming - Alec Beardsley
- May 21st - Eastern Michigan Python User Group - Jonathan Baginski
- Training Class Stimulus still active through May
VP of Membership-Onboarding
- New member orientation process has overwhelmingly positive feedback, some verbatims from the "how's it going?" section of the phase-1 form:
- "Yay!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, the scavenger hunt is awesome."
- "I love how the member feels invested into the space and must understand the rules font to back. The community seems close and I can't wait to be a member of the family."
- "This was a super fun and interactive application. I think the space and application both direct a great (and needed) amount of attention to a communal mindset and type of membership."
- "Everyone is great. The staff is very friendly and I am looking forward to contributing and learning from a great community of makers."
- "Yes, this has helped me get to know people around i3 better and have some really cool conversations with that. Also i got to see what is going on around the space which has been a lot of fun. also this is really useful for becoming a new member. Showed me where important pieces of equipment are and safety items"
- "It's going well. Yes, it is important for all members to know. Yes, the process is very educational. Yes, but it's always a learning experience."
- Two more newbies (scheduled for) Monday night, 4 more moving through the process.
- Total membership right around 160 right now.
- CRM team has been super helpful in providing new features to make my job easier.
VP of Membership-Retention
- Fixed an email issue for a former member who couldn't seem to unsubscribe herself, haven't figured out why that was.
- Nothing else notable to report.
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- See above :)
- Nothing to report
- Nothing to report
Lost & Found Party
|add a sign with tour hours on the door.||Vivian|
|Send out reminders on guest policy.||Matt A.|
|Add location of the banned member list on the wiki. Actual location will not be public.||David H.|
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Proposal to ban 20160510A
WHEREAS there have been a number of reported incidents of violations of the i3 Harassment Policy, including inappropriate comments, behavior, that form a pattern of behavior that puts the future well-being of members and guests of the space at risk,
AND WHEREAS 20160510A has abused his guest privileges by fraudulently entering the space multiple times by signing in under members without their permission and pressuring members to sign him in against their will,
WE RESOLVE that, effective May 10, 2016, 20160510A shall be banned from all spaces operated by i3 Detroit indefinitely until the board of directors votes to overturn this ban.
WE RESOLVE FURTHER that, effective May 10, 2016, 20160510A shall be banned from all i3 electronic communication channels.
WE RESOLVE FURTHER that, effective May 10, 2016, 20160510A is unwelcome at and may not participate in any i3 Detroit presence occurring at either public or private events.
WE RESOLVE FURTHER that any personal property of 20160510A that remains in the space as of May 10, 2016, shall be considered donated to i3.
WE RESOLVE FURTHER that the Secretary is directed to add 20160510A to the list of banned persons kept near the entrance, and directed to send a notice of this proposal to the i3-announce mailing list.WE RESOLVE FURTHER that the Secretary is directed to communicate notice of this ban to 20160510A.
- Time completed: 9:57 pm
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 10
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20160503||Board Meeting Minutes 20160614|