Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20170314

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 03-14-2017

Chair: Evan Allen

Officer Reports

Treasury and Budget Report for Feb, 2017

Financial Grade: A

  • Emergency: $14K
  • Checking: $3.1K
  • BNektar: $3.2K
  • Paypal: $.6K
  • Total: $20.9K

Bike ZoneBudget Proposal: Terry reccommends approving this since it isn't much and the bike zone had no coordinator to ask for budget in December.

Budget Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Line Item Total Subtotal Notes
Bike Zone 1 Hand Tools $150.00 $150.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 Upgrade bike specific tools based on usage survey
2 Consumables $50.00 $50.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 Stock up a few small bike parts for user purchase
3 Large Tool 1 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
4 Materials $200.00 $200.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 Raw material for building shelves, carts, workbenches (whatever the zone requires)
TOTAL $400.00

Secretary

Nothing to report.

President

  • Topic Alpha - See mailing list

Senior Vice President

Vivian: The patent office event was the first in a series she's trying to organize. The next will be a seminar by either Lowes or Home Depot on attaching a deck to your home.

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Nick is trying to centralize and standardize how we organize and publicize classes and events with some kind of web form. He does web development so he doesn't think it will be technically hard to do.
  • We've had some issues with reserving time on the Laser and the CNC with the many ways people can do it.
    • Could we have a small touchscreen device and a web app that shows current reservation status and lets people make reservations?

Mike: Some of that will be avaible right on the laser computers. Wouldn't this be another system people would need to create accounts for and check separately?
Nick: It could be a single signon system using Google Accounts and a specific website people can check the schedule on.
Mike: That still sounds like another website people would need to check.
Evan: The CNC is scheduled on its own mailing list with only a small nubmer of users. The laser uses one system that is a google calendar. This should be a discussion for laser users on the mailing list.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

Matt C got some feedback from the board about a new draft of the scholarship application. He likes where it is now and is about ready to publish as a form people can fill out. He also needs to clean out old processes people are getting lost in, but the new one is looking good.

VP of Membership-Retention

Unavailable

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

Nothing to report

Old Business

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Materials storage purge in the Wood Shop.

Brian: Are items safe if they're is properly labeled?
Roger: as long as it's dated within 90 days, its good.
Brian: What about just putting things in there without a label.
David: Then that would be considered open use. It's suggested to label such things as free or open.

  • Cease and Desist letter discussed above.

Past Action Items

No update from Charlie on B. Nektar's plans.

Action Item: Charlie - Talk to B. Nektar.

New Business

Camera System Status Report

  • Look at how pretty and functional it is.
  • 13 of 15 purchased cameras are up. Current plans call for 17 total.
  • Should we get a couple more? Expected price is $100-$125 each. Having a spare would be nice too.

Evan: Terry, are we ok to budget another $400 for the cameras?
Terry: Yes

Proposal:
Allocate $400 for three more cameras
Moved by Evan, Seconded by Alec
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Bike Zone Budget

Proposal:
Allocate $400 for bike zone budget as shown in the table above
Moved by Evan, Seconded by Alec
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Second Member Meeting Budget

James suggests $50 per month for food and supplies.
Charlie: $20 was sufficient for food in the past.
James: The extra would be for other supplies.
Evan: Terry, is that amount ok?
Terry: $500 is fine.

Proposal:
Allocate a not to exceed budget of $50 per month for second member meeting food and supplies ($500 for the remainder of the year)
Moved by Evan, Seconded by Alec
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Cleaners for the front rooms

Charlie asks the board to entertain a motion to hire cleaners for the front rooms and bathrooms. These aren't cleaned regularly enough and it's impacting what visitors think of us.
Mike: This has come up before, and we settled on just trying to be better, but that's not working now.
Jan: She's cleaned the front rooms frequently, and it only takes one person to mess it up before a guest comes in.
Charlie: It would be about $1950 until the end of the year, with once a week cleanings.
Terry: We should make sure not to hire a member for this service. And should they have liability insurance?
David: How do they gain access to the space?
Evan: Since this is new, we should table this to the lists for now.
Terry will get a quote from the people who got a quote last time.
Alec will reach out to another group he has experience with.

Action Item: Terry - Get a quote from a cleaning service for one month and for recurring cleaning
Action Item: Alec - Get another quote from a cleaning service for one month and for recurring cleaning

David: do we want them to clean the entryway as well, since people can easily track dust through there to the front rooms?
Charlie: We're not going for that clean.
Jan: It takes four different methods to get the classroom floor clean each week. If people will track dirt right back in immediately the cleaning isn't worthwhile.
David: We may also need to address the dirt and dust generally in the shop. He had looked into an industrial floor cleaner in the past,
Evan: The shop floor is essentially uncleanable with all the oil soaked into it over the years. In the past we talked about putting epoxy floor down on the shop floor in sections to make it more cleanable.
Tony: Back to the specific discussion: people have come in and said "this place is gross!" We have to temper our guests' expectations some, but we're still falling below where we should be. We realy need to do something about this.
Evan: we have three people getting quotes, lets revisit this next month
Terry: We should specifically ask for a quote on one month since they may normally specify a period of 6+ months with a quote.

Space & Zone Discussions

Floor Plan

David suggested adding a sheet goods annex to the graveyard on the end where power cords are, displacing the cords to the new wall it will make.
There is general agreement that this would be helpful.

Fab Lab

Evan: there's no deadline for it's completion. It's exterior has been painted for a week but it's currently displacing 4 other zones. Do we want to set a hard deadline for when items should be moved back and moved out of the existing FabLab so the media lab can have a space again?
Charlie: We need a lot more help on the construction work than people realize.
Tony thinks that since the zone coordinator who started the project isn't really seen working on it lately it's hard for anyone else to feel like it's something they should work on.
David: Even if he's not there, some direction on what needs to be done would be helpful.
Evan: From the perspective of other zones, how long do we justify blockig work in the Jewelry zone, for example?
Charlie: the exterior needs at least another coat of paint to keep it from looking shitty.
Evan: At what point do we say "this is when we put all the zones back, regardless of completion?"
Tony: We should give it a month.
Brian P: He volunteers to take an afternoon soon to do the painting.
Yay!

  • Evan: So does the board agree that in a month, all zones which are currently displaced should be moved back, and the current fab lab should be cleaned out for the media lab?
  • Tony: By the member meeting, we should have a list of things that need to be done from the zone coordinator, so it's clear to everyone what they can do.

There is general consensus on these two points.

Action Item: Evan - Poke Lego into getting a ToDo list posted on the FabLab.

Snapple Machine

Tony: What about the snapple machine? Should there be a similar plan for that, it doesn't seem like it's being worked on much.
Evan: It is being worked on, and many parts have been ordered or are on order.
Evan will make a list of things to do to post on the vending machine too.

Action Item: Evan - Post a ToDo list for the Snapple vending machine.

Large Format Printer

Roger sent out a survey about member use of such a printer.

  • 20 members responded they'd use it at least once a year, and 7 once a week.
  • He's checked out a few that are available now, and we do have budget of $1500.
  • Do we want to fundraise for a brand new printer that costs $2500 to $25,000? Or go with a used printer that costs less and might not last as long?

James was planning to fundraise for a new $2500 printer.
Evan notes there isn't a a rush. We should show the membership what the options are at different prices.
James: Do we want new or used?
Charlie: That depends on what we want to spend

Member Storage

Sheet Goods and A-Frame in Wood Shop

Evan: What do we want to about this now? And should we address that the parking ticket was enforced earlier than policy allows?
Mike: One member I heard from was upset because they were actively using their items throughout the week, but then they were in the dumpster monday. The member had not seen the -announce list post, but there was also nothing on their items indicating they were subject to a parking ticket.
Terry: Is current policy that if it's unlabeled, anyone can use it? That already short circuits the parking ticket system.
Evan: The sign above storage should indicate the rule about the date, because it doesn't show all of the rules and they aren't clearly posted on storage.
Tony: The big issue is peoples active projects are still being thrown out, and we need to protect against it. What can we do about that?
Matt C: Do we know how any other spaces handle this?
Charlie: Not that he's aware of.
Roger: likes the graveyard extension idea mentioned earlier.
David: Everyone also has different opinions on what makes an item usable scrap vs. used up enough to be tossed in the dumpster.
Evan: thinks the main action that should be taken is to update the sign to reflect actual rules.
Tony liked Mike's label idea which was shared on the board list.
Alec: was the member's item Mike mentioned before eventually properly labeled?
Mike: No, because the member had not seen the announce email, so had no idea that the items were subject to any parking ticket since they weren't tagged.
Mike shared his suggestion for a required label for items stored in shared storage areas. A high visibility 2x4 inch label with contact info forms and a summary of the rules that the item is subject to.
Matt C says this is how Pumping Station One handles their storage.
Tony: So if items are flagged for removal could just have another bright label stuck on?
Someone: Sure, as long as it doesn't cover the contact info.
Terry: What about setting quarterly cleanout dates and getting rid of the 90 day rule. Or could we have more than one person do cleanout?
Matt C: What about if it just gets done at each potlock?
Evan: For now: the signage needs to be improved, and all ticketed items should be tagged in some way when they are marked for removal.
Tony: Could we also use mike's label idea?
Evan: We can suggest it to the zone coordinators but they don't have to agree.
David: We could still make the labels so they are available for members to use, as a convenience.
Evan: Regardless of parking tickets or labels, zone coordinators can dictate what is or isn't in their zone. But if they're going to use parking tickets, they must use them the same as everyone else uses them. That means no single mass ticket, all items must be labeled that they are ticketed.
Mike agrees strongly with this sentiment.
Mike: Is $40 ok to purchase a bulk pack of high-vsibility labels?
Terry: That's noise in the budget, don't worry about it.

Action Item: Mike - Order and make some labels

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 9:43
  • Funds appropriated: $1300
  • Attendees: 11

Action Items

Action ItemPOC
Post a ToDo list for the Snapple vending machine.Evan
Order and make some labelsMike
Poke Lego into getting a ToDo list posted on the FabLab.Evan
Talk to B. Nektar.Charlie
Get another quote from a cleaning service for one month and for recurring cleaningAlec
Get a quote from a cleaning service for one month and for recurring cleaningTerry

Proposals

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Allocate $400 for three more camerasEvanAlec70PASS
Allocate a not to exceed budget of $50 per month for second member meeting food and supplies ($500 for the remainder of the year)EvanAlec70PASS
Allocate $400 for bike zone budget as shown in the table aboveEvanAlec70PASS

Attendance

  1. Evan A
  2. Mike F
  3. Roger S
  4. Terry W
  5. Jan H
  6. David H
  7. Alec B
  8. Matt C
  9. Tony S
  10. Brian P
  11. Charl...


Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20170214 Board Meeting Minutes 20170411