Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20170711
- 1 Agenda for 07-11-2017
- 1.1 Officer Reports
- 1.2 Old Business
- 1.3 New Business
- 1.4 Space & Zone Discussions
- 1.5 Committee Reports
- 1.6 Lost & Found Party
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 07-11-2017
Treasurer & Budget
- Financial Grade: A
- Emergency: $18K Checking : $4.7K BNektar: $2.5K Paypal: $.5K
- Total: $25.7K
- Emergency up to $18k. I would like to get it to about $20K before expansion.
- Number of members with debt >$50: 21, Last Month: 17 (Probably just normal variation I see no trend to correct).
- July 1 membership was 139.
- With expansion if we only spend Rent& Utilities we need 150 Members (or equivalent $$) to break even.
- With expansion and last year's rate of zone spending we need 200 Members (or equivalent $$) to break even.
See new business.
- Insurance: a group from Nation of Makers has been looking into a group insurance plan for multiple makerspaces.
Senior Vice President
- Fundraising: Vivian has slowed down a little looking into it, waiting more on expansion as expanding can be a real fundraising driver.
VP of Activities & Classes
- James is getting a PCB workshop set up for soon.
- Dana: a couple recent events hosted here generated about $50 in donations. Yay!
VP of Membership-Onboarding
VP of Membership-Retention
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
Action Item Review
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
- Discussion of the question "Is it ok if I leave an IOU for X days if I need to pay for a zone or the pop fridge"
- General consensus: Unless a zone coordinator approves it, No. For the pop fridge, we have free filtered water, please use that instead of running up a tab.
2017-18 Term of Directors
Number of Directors
The Standing rules say the number of directors must be chosen by this meeting. Let's do that.
- An odd number seems best.
- Adding more makes it hard to come to
- Evan coyly proposes one and is laughed at.
- David proposes 7 again.
We haven't actually fixed anything since last year regarding the specifics of how we hold elections.
- Matt G: Borda Count is probably better when we're picking from a pool slightly larger than the number of candidates, but if it's a much larger pool then I'd think that simply giving the top 7 on each ballot 1 point.
- Evan: I think "much larger" means different voters are likely to choose completely different sets of candidates, and that is unlikely in our case.
- Dana: would like to request that whatever voting method is chosen gets clearly explained to the membership.
- Mike: I'll make sure that gets done sometime in the nominating process.
Open August 1. Do we want to solicit nominations for officers at the same time and hold joint elections?
- David: do we need to hold elections since we had trouble finding more than one candidate in previous years?
- Charlie: the Board should be chosen by the board based on who they see as most competant.
- Evan: thainks staggering positions, voting for the Board first and then choosing officers at the next board meeting.
Evan proposes that the officers and zone coordinators be appointed after the board election.
Space & Zone Discussions
Dana: do we have a list of zones that need more room and would like to move/expand? Evan: We the surveys Leora put out that cover a lot of that, but may not cover zones that want to expand. Charlie: we should re-ask the question Lego: were those published? Evan: One was on the members mailing list Mike: The rest ended up in the board meeting minutes when she reported on them. Jan: Would we be able to move some zones temporarily? Evan: thinks so as long as we have a long-term plan in place for what is going to ultimately be done with the space, but we still need to be flexible with it. Dana: thinks forming a non-biased committee of members be formed to handle Evan: thinks the board already has power over floorplan, and thinks those interested in what goes where in the floorplan should make their voices heard. Dana: wants to make sure people who answer sureveys but aren't necessarily at meetings can have their voices heard, and not have the process hidden in a wiki article referencing an email etc. Charlie: agrees that it shouldn't be an ad hoc process that people feel left out of Dana: Yes, lets make sure we aren't alienating people.
Evan and Mike measured i3 and B. Nektar and drew up plans for the whole building: File:Building layout.pdf
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed: 8:41pm
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 11
Action Item Summary
|Work with Leora on survey stuff||Dana|
|Follow up with B. Nektar about their move-out date||Charlie|
|Put out voting change proposal to the mailing list for next week's memeber meeting.||Evan|
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Have 7 directors for the 2017-2018 term||David||Tony||5||0||PASS|
|officers and zone coordinators be appointed after the board election.||Evam||Jam||5||0||PASS|
- James O
- Mike F
- Vivan S
- Andrew M
- Dana N
- Tony S
- Mike W
- Evan A
- David H
- Jan H
- Matt G
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20170620||Board Meeting Minutes 20170808|