Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20170912
- 1 Agenda for 09-12-2017
- 1.1 Officer Reports
- 1.2 Old Business
- 1.3 New Business
- 1.4 Space & Zone Discussions
- 1.5 Committee Reports
- 1.6 Lost & Found Party
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 09-12-2017
Treasury and Budget Report for August 2017
- Financial Grade: A
- Emergency: $23K Checking: $4.4K BNektar: $1.7K Paypal: $1.6K
- Total: $30.7K
- Emergency up to $23k.
- Number of Members with debt >=$98: 27 July: 21 (Interested in next month's numbers).
- Sept 1 membership was 147.
- Net +$381 for MF Party, normally break even. Good job.
- We should formally authorize Halloween party.
- Greg S has made a request to make a capital purchase for the Woodshop. He is proposing a plan to use pass the hat with remainder of $ from consumables and handtool budget. I recommend we adopt this proposal. (Thomas Tufts is in attendance to speak on his behalf)
- Treasury docs are up in Google Drive as of 8/31.
Joseph asks whether we've actively pursuing funding and/or raising membership levels for the acquisition of next door, and wants to form a group to pursue this going forward.
- Online voting through Opavote went very well. Only one easily fixed problem was reported.
- If you're interested in the detailed results of the election, talk to the secretary, Mike, or any of the board members
- We still haven't moved forward on anything with the landlord but there's no big incentive to move on it since B. Nektar is still there. Last contact was in July.
- We'll also need to get insurance for the new space.
- Charlie notes that Shauna, who's been our contact from The Henry Ford, is moving to Seattle. :( She was cool.
- Charlie has an electronic waiver station set up on two tablets and just needs some help getting them set up in cases mounted near the front door.
Senior Vice President
- Vivian has been working with Charlie on getting more classes set up to generate income for the expansion. Thinks it would be more cost effective to generate income this way rather than relying entirely on membership.
- There are a lot of topical classes and also basic classes that we could offer as a resource to the community.
VP of Activities & Classes
VP of Membership-Onboarding
Number of people in different phases of the membership process as well as general trends:
- Continuing to tweak membership form and "new member info" sheet distributed with keys
- Someone (Evan?) suggested adding a "how do you get a storage plot?" section to the membership process to get people to play with the CRM - need to implement this
- Taking suggestions for more additions
- Alec suggests going through how to look up zone coordinators and ask for training.
- Also better signage in the zones on points of interest and tools that require authorization
- Still struggling to get people to officially sign up to support Friday night tours
- I try to be here on Fridays when I can, but that's spotty
11 current / 14 allowed - No changes this month
VP of Membership-Retention
- Terry suggests the position has a lot of responsibilities and could probably be cut back on going forward
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- Alec has gotten a few reports of guests not being properly signed in. Anyone can ask members/guests if they're properly signed in and such.
- Alec and Matt have heard second and third hand about some issues and would like to make sure that if something requires it, they can be brought into the loop to help assist.
Action Item Review
|Create wiki page questionaire for nominees||Mike||Done|
|Email check-in with scholarship recipients||Dana & Matt||Matt sent out emails and got 4/11 responses. All scholarships expire at the end of the year, so they'll be re-evaluated then, and whether they're in contact or not will be a factor.|
|Send out email proposing voting change/clarification||Mike||Done|
|Work with Leora on survey info||Dana||Probably done?|
|Include the floorplan and info relevant to this discussion in the next member meeting email||Mike||Done|
|Email Terry to have him put all his stuff on Google Drive.||Alec B||Done|
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
Nothing of note
Chairperson of the Board
James would like to unfreeze $400 of the classes/training budget. This money is intended to be recouped through class fees. Terry approves as treasurer.
Proposal to split sewing from craft room
- Separate sewing from craft room into a separate sewing zone with physical space
- Per planned expansion, for purposes of floor planning discussions,
- Name Jan Henry zone coordinator of the new zone
- Full proposal with minimum size, equipment, use details is available on slack
- Joseph suggets that this sets a bad precedent for making land grabs when the other side becomes available.
- Jan replies that we have a burgeoning sewing space building in the craft room without having dedicated usable physical space.
- Charlie suggests that there shouldn't be any votes and agreements made based on
- David points out that right now craft and sewing are tied together, and would be seen as tied together going forward. The goal is to change that so they can be separate going forward.
- Charlie suggests for this point in time, we just agree to split craft and sewing and name Jan as sewing coordinator.
- Alec agrees.
- Joseph moves to table this discussion until next month, Jody seconds. 4 in favor.
Proposal to Change Bylaws for Scheduling Board Meetings
Jody can't make Tuesday meetings for the next 3 months. Alec points out that the current bylaws don't allow to change the date and time of board meetings and proposes altering the Bylaws to remedy this.
- Alec proposes the following changes to Article 5, Sections 8 and 10 of the Bylaws.
A 2/3 majority of both the directors and members must approve of this to be enacted.
Section 8. Regular Meetings Regular meetings of directors shall be held at a time and place decided by a resolution of the board of directors. Section 10. Notice of Meetings Unless otherwise provided by the articles of incorporation, these bylaws, or provisions of law, the following provisions shall govern the giving of notice for meetings of the board of directors: 1) Regular Meetings: Notice shall be given by the secretary of the corporation to each member following a resolution altering the schedule of regular meetings. Such notice may be by usual means. 2) Special Meetings: At least 7 days prior notice shall be given by the secretary of the corporation to each director of each special meeting of the board. Such notice may be oral or written, by electronic mail, by first class mail, by telephone, or by verbal communication. 3) Waiver of Notice: Whenever any notice of a meeting is required to be given to any director of this corporation under provisions of the articles of incorporation, these bylaws, or the law of this state, a waiver of notice in writing signed by the director, whether before or after the time of the meeting, shall be equivalent to the giving of such notice.
Wood Shop Spending Proposal
- Thomas, on behalf of Greg, is asking the board to budget up to $800-$1000 for a new 15 inch Jet Planer, with a plan to purchase near black friday to try to get a good deal. The rest of the cost would be made up through fundraising.
- Terry: the amount budgeted for would be the balance remaining between consumables and hand tools from the Wood Shop and use that toward the new purchase price.
- Charlie: What is the cost of a new set of knives? $50/set
- Alec: What is the plan for consumables and hand tools for the rest of the year? Use any additional contributions.
- Joseph: Does i3 own the current planer, and does it have any value to be sold? i3 owns it, it's not very valuable in its quasi-working state.
Halloween Party Budget
- Joseph moves to unfreeze the amount budgeted for the Halloween party
- Terry approves.
- There is no term limit for officers, just if they are replaced and/or step down.
- The only open position currently is VP of Classes.
- We need to submit paperwork by October 1 to the state of Michigan with our directors and officers.
- Alec doesn't think the current board has had enough time to choose new officers, so discussion of this should be tabled to the next member mailing list before making any decisions.
- Current officers will continue on, none have yet voiced an intent to resign.
Space & Zone Discussions
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed: 9:06
- Funds appropriated: $1500ish?
- Attendees: 21
Action Item Summary
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Unfreeze $400 of the classes & training budget||Alec||David||5||0||PASS|
|Make the above changes to Article 5 of the Bylaws||Alec||Joseph||5||0||PASS|
|Unfreeeze the amount as budgeted for the Halloween party||Joseph||David||5||0||PASS|
|Budget the current balance of the wood shop's consumables & hand tools budgets toward the purchase of a new planer contingent on member donations making up the remainder of the purchase price||Alec||David||6||0||PASS|
|Appoint Alec Beardsley as chairperson of the board||Alec||David||5||0||PASS|
- Alec B
- Mike F
- Joseph B
- Jan H
- David H
- James O
- Matt C
- Terry W
- Thomas T
- Emily A
- Martee H
- Melissa G
- Jody R
- Andrew M
- Charlie R
- Tony S
- Al J
- Vivian S
- Matt G
- Jen N
- Nick A
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20170808||Board Meeting Minutes 20171009|