Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20171009

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 10-09-2017

Chair: Alec B

Officer Reports

Treasury and Budget Report for Sept 2017

  • Financial Grade: A
  • Emergency: $23K Checking : $4.2K BNektar: $1.1K Paypal: $.4K

Total: $28.7K

Secretary

  • MI LARA paperwork submitted, directors and officers are official for the next year

President

  • No new progress on next door
  • Scheduled a going away meeting with Shauna from THF
  • Has been working on quantifying what we do here (how many classes, attendance, etc) to better quantify our impact on the community
  • Is resigning as President as of October 31

Senior Vice President

  • Nothing to report

VP of Activities & Classes

VP of Membership-Onboarding

VP of Membership-Retention

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

  • Nothing to report

Unfinished Business

Discussion/proposal from Sept to split craft & sewing

Jody

  • There are a number of people who are interested in creating new zones
  • Previously, floorspace was the difference between a zone and a SIG
  • Since we are going to get a lot of new floorspace soon, we should put out a call for coordinators for potential new zones
  • So that interested parties can have a seat at the table when expansion/floorplanning issues are discussed
  • As an example, Jan would like to split sewing off from the craft room
  • Alec: doesn't see a problem with finding members to spearhead new zones. Should that go out along with the call for officers and checking with current zone coordinators?
  • Joseph suggests that we don't put too much energy into this immediately, since B. Nektar
  • Jamie: it shouldn't be lumped with checking with existing zone coordinators, because creating a new zone from scratch takes a different set of skills
  • Alec: Let's get through the officer appointments and coordinators for existing zones, and discuss the call for new zones next meeting.
  • Charlie: Feels that it's likely we won't be able to move in for at least 3 months.
  • Jan: What are we waiting for with next door?
  • Charlie: We're waiting for B. Nektar to move out and the landlord is OK with them staying as long as they need to
  • Joseph: with the rate we pay, he has all the chips.
  • Alec moves to table this until we have notice of when we will be able to move in
Proposal:
Table the new zone discussion until we have actual notice of when we can move in next door
Moved by Alec, Seconded by David
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Action Item Review

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Rescheduling of this and the next two board meetings

New Business

New Officer Appointments

  • Alec: we should ask the membership for suggestions for officers for the next year.
  • Jody: For old officers, do they have to resign or how are they replaced?
  • There is no term, and they can be replaced by appointing a new officer in their place.
  • Alec: Is there someone on the board willing to compose an email and get the ball rolling?
  • Matt volunteers
Action Item: Matt H - Send out an email asking existing officersif they want to stay on this year
  • Alec: With Charlie resigning, do we want to go forward immediately with his suggestion?
  • Jody: It would be good to give anyone else interested a chance
  • Charlie: There's already been notice for months, and only two people have spoken to him and one of them is also a board member
  • Jamie: It would be better to do all officer positions consistently, regardless of suggestions, but still consider them when it comes time to appoint new officers. There could be other members who haven't spoken directly with Charlie about it who might be otherwise insterested
  • Jody: Would Charlie be willing to stay on as acting president, or would the board be willing to have Vivian as acting president?
  • David: We have until the 31st to appoint officers, we can finish it in a special meeting later in the month
  • Charlie: organizations really depend on continuity, and he thinks there are some decisions the board has to make without reaching a broad consensus
  • For asking the membership for officer suggestions, do we want only self-nominations or also allow others to nominate?
  • Jamie: wouldn't have considered becoming an officer if she hadn't been suggested by someone else
Proposal:
Have Mike send out an email tomorrow requesting suggestions by self or others for new officers by October 17th 9 pm
Moved by Joseph, Seconded by Jody
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS
Action Item: Mike - Send out an email tomorrow requesting suggestions by self or others for new officers by October 17th 9 pm
Proposal:
Hold a special meeting of the board on Monday, October 23, 2017 for appointing new officers
Moved by Matt, Seconded by David
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

The Workbench / Reservable Workspace Area - Proposal

PoC: Tom Nardone 586-214-5964 - tom@priveco.com (I may be late to the meeting but will arrive in time to give this proposal)

  • I would like to request immediate permission to enforce rules for the area formally known as "Reservable Workspace" and now noted on the floorplan as "Workbench". At the end of this meeting I will use the i3 rules to put this area on equal ground with any other workbench and table in the shop. This proposal would prohibit projects from being left on AND underneath the benches of the reservable workspace. Here are proposed rules:
    • The workbench is for active use.
    • The space underneath the workbench is for your feet and shins while you work.
    • Projects, whether infrastructure or not, will not be allowed to be left on the workbench at the end of the night without documentation.
    • Users should leave this area clean and dust free after use. All tools shall be put away after use.
    • Filling out a 3 day parking pass will allow you to leave a project on 1/3 of the workbench for up to 3 days.
    • No project, under any circumstances will be allowed to remain on this bench longer than 72 hours.
    • No project, under any circumstances will be allowed to remain unattended on more than 1/3 of this bench.
    • Any projects left unattended or past their 3 day parking passes will be moved to large storage.
    • 30 day parking passes are not allowed for the workbench. Projects with a 30 day parking pass should be in project storage.
  • This Enforcement of rules will result in the following:
    • The Power Wheels car will be required to be moved. My suggestion is that it should be stored at a user's home, not permanently stored at i3. It will be immediately moved to large project storage.
    • The Money Sucker will be moved to large project storage.
    • Anything else under the workbench will be moved (sawhorses, etc.)
  • In exchange for the peace of mind that this will bring me,
    • I am willing to donate to the space, three matching work stools. They will be plastic, so that they can easily be cleaned. They will feature a low back and not terrible. I will throw away an old stool or two when they arrive.
    • I will also fabricate a sign highlighting the rules of the workbench as state above.
  • I do not feel the need for there to be a coordinator for the workbench, just as there is no coordinator for any other table or workspace. I just wanted to identify a consistent problem and solve it quickly and easily. If given approval I will complete the majority of this project tonight. I have reserved 30 minutes on Wolverine to make the sign and will order the stools as well.
  • David: The H structure is part of the Tool Crib
  • Things there fall under Evan's purview as coordinator so the board could give him guidance with regards to these things
  • The i3 motorsports SIG will get the car out of the way there.
  • David will hang the Moneysucker
  • Alec will talk to Evan about policing the workbenches there

CNC Router

Tom wants to know what the deal is with the orange CNC wood router. If someone's schedule doesn't align with the owner, then there's no chance to use it. With the space it takes up, it should be much more open for use than it is, like in most other hackerspaces.

Action Item: Alec - Talk to Steve about opening up use of the CNC router

Space & Zone Discussions

Floor Plan

Member Storage

Committee Reports

Moderation Committee

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:33
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 14

Action Item Summary

Action ItemPOC
Send out an email tomorrow requesting suggestions by self or others for new officers by October 17th 9 pmMike
Send out an email asking existing officersif they want to stay on this yearMatt H
Talk to Steve about opening up use of the CNC routerAlec

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Have Mike send out an email tomorrow requesting suggestions by self or others for new officers by October 17th 9 pmJosephJody70PASS
Hold a special meeting of the board on Monday, October 23, 2017 for appointing new officersMattDavid70PASS
Table the new zone discussion until we have actual notice of when we can move in next doorAlecDavid70PASS

Attendance

  1. Alec
  2. Mike
  3. Matt A
  4. Danny M
  5. Tom N
  6. Joseph B
  7. Jan H
  8. Vivan S
  9. Charlie R
  10. Mel G
  11. Jamie B
  12. Jody R
  13. Paul L
  14. Tony S


Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20170912 Board Meeting Minutes 20171023