Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20171113

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 11-13-2017

Chair: Alec

Officer Reports

Treasury and Budget Report for Oct 2017

  • Financial Grade: A
  • Emergency: $28K Checking : $5.8K BNektar: $1.1K Paypal: $.2K
    • Total: $35.1K
  • The Woodshop Planer was COMPLETELY paid by member contributions.


  • Nothing to report


Over the next several weeks/months I will be working on the following items:

  1. Working to bring in some form of corporate sponsors for i3 Detroit zones
  2. Assisting team planning for building expansion
  3. Development of an Artisan/Craftsman environment for i3
  4. Creation of a beta testing program in conjunction with corporate sponsors
  5. Creation of a community outreach program
  6. 2 Major non-Maker Faire or Maker Faire party events per year

First up:

  • Red Bull sponsored Drone-a-thon
  • Arduino, Beaglebone, and Raspberry Pi hack-a-thon

Senior Vice President

  • Jamie's back! Yay!

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Email will be to zone coordinators to see what kinds of skills used in their zones would make good class curriculum
  • New class coming in from outside group (Jen's sword group)
    • Manners Maketh Man - Essential life skills that aren't taught much anymore
    • Fee covers a full month of classes

VP of Membership-Onboarding

11/13 9/12
Pre-Phase 1 2 1
Phase 1 2 1
Phase 2 10 11
Post-Phase 2 1 1
Member 44 38
  • Matt suggests changing bylaws to require members to be age of majority because we have conflicting info on it
    • Alec suggests getting going on that, since it's a small change
  • Nine scholarships expired on 11/1, they have been notified and given until 12/1 to reapply. Haven't gotten any new applications yet..
    • Joseph asks if the number of scholarships could be reduced to make them more coveted, etc. Matt and Joseph are going to continue discussing this, check with them if you're interested.

VP of Membership-Retention

  • About 10 members left over the past few months

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

  • Alec had a report from a member about another member using racial slurs and will be addressing that.
    • This isn't clearly frowned upon in any of our rules
    • Alec is going to look at the Standing Rules and Harrassment Policy to add soemthing about this

Old Business

Action Item Review

  • Alec: talk to Steve abou the CNC router
    • Done - There's a similar amount of training for the wood router as there is for the Haas CNC, work will be done to address this training
  • Matt & Mike - officer appointment emails
    • Done

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Discussed officer appointments
  • Discussed acial slur issue
  • Discussed minor who would like to be a member
  • Discussed paint box

New Business

The Paint Box - Proposal

PoC: Tom Nardone 586-214-5964

  • With your permission, I will be constructing i3's new "Paint Box" this evening. The paint box will bridge the gap between our current painting technology (a cardboard box) and a full-blown paint booth.:
    • It will be constructed this evening and should be fully operational within 24 hours.
    • It will be located right there (points to a portion of the project storage area that nestles between the kiln zone and welding zone.
    • It will use that exhaust fan there. (points to exhaust fan currently installed in the ceiling above the welding zone, but currently not in use).
    • It will utilize parts that I currently have in my van.
    • Its footprint is the size of a pallet, about 6 sq. ft.
    • If anyone wants to help with the project, you are welcome to join the fun.
    • We might post rules for using the paint box. Here are some proposed rules.
      • Turn the fan on before you start to paint.
      • Place your project on top of paper, cardboard, or some other removable base
      • Put $0.25 in the ________ fund for replacement filters
      • Remove your parts/projects within 60 minutes.
  • Jody: has discussed this with Tom and will let the paint booth use weld zone's unused exhaust fan
  • Tony: could we add hinged doors and a curtain to keep the paint from coming out?
  • Jody: We should probably see what gets built and then address the design
  • Matt: So will it be in the weld zone?
  • Alec: It will be mostly in the commons and may back into the weld zone
  • Tom plans to laser engrave the rules on the paint booth doors. There will be a lazy susan inside as well
  • David: So we're removing a part of large project storage. The sewing machine should be in MESA but it's in the large project storage space because there isn't room in MESA for it. We may want to move things around so something that isn't sensitive to spraypaint is stored next too the paint booth.
Allocate the northern four feet of large project storage for the paint booth described above
Moved by Jody, Seconded by Matt
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Space & Zone Discussions

Floor Plan

Member Storage

Committee Reports

Moderation Committee

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:10 PM
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 16

Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Allocate the northern four feet of large project storage for the paint booth described aboveJodyMatt70PASS


  1. Alec B
  2. Mike F
  3. David H
  4. Jan H
  5. Matt C
  6. Evan A
  7. Jody R
  8. Mel G
  9. Mark F
  10. Jamie B
  11. Vivian S
  12. Tony S
  13. Terry W
  14. Matt H
  15. Jen N
  16. Tom N

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20171023 Board Meeting Minutes 20171214