Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20180508
- 1 Agenda for 05-08-2018
- 1.1 Officer Reports
- 1.2 Old Business
- 1.3 New Business
- 1.4 Space & Zone Discussions
- 1.5 Committee Reports
- 1.6 Lost & Found Party
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 05-08-2018
Treasury and Budget Report for Apr 2018
- Financial Grade: A
- Each Months Running Balance for Zone Funds are at https://www.i3detroit.org/wiki/Zone_Funds
- New reporting available on i3 Google drive to Board. If you have any questions, try #ask-the-treasurer on slack.
- Nomcon Pass The Hat has received $1,425 in donations from about a dozen people.
- Paypal payments to all zone cash boxes will be avail June 1. ZCs can "OPT OUT" of allowing this. To do so email firstname.lastname@example.org and put OPT OUT PAYPAL ZONE xxx in the subject line by May 22. Instructions and a list of zones will be published before June 1. Everything goes into i3's paypal account and gets added to the right zone in our internal accounting.
- Have heard back from all board members with needed information
- Most zone coordinators have responded in part, only two have given full accountings yet.
- Nothing to report
- Working on Field Instruction project with the University of Michigan School of Social Work.
- Working with some grad students to introduce them to the concept of "Makers"
- Long term goal of working on grand writing with them
- June/July discussions with Detroit Public Schools about STEM program that specializes in "Making"
Senior Vice President
- Is here for the second meeting in a row. Applause
VP of Activities & Classes
VP of Membership-Onboarding
+10 Members (gross) since last board meeting
- Sent emails to members that stalled out in Phase 2 since february - got a few responses so far.
- Dialing in the not-polaroid camera so you can actually see who people are - hoping to make a section of board members so new members know who they are
VP of Membership-Retention
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
Action Item Review
- Sort out the google drive situation for Terry - Jody - Done
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
- Working with treasurer to update reporting/documentation
- Discussion of classes and activities position
- Discussion of membership retention position
- Discussion of who has access to what accounts
- Discussion of NOMCon funding and who
- Discussion of board transparency
- Discussion about parking permits
- Discussion of firearms policy
- Discussion of holding new budget meetings
- There has been much discussion on the board slack channel (and also on the board list and in general on slack) about working on firearms in the space and what should and should not be allowed. We need to further this discussion and generate a policy to take to the Membership.
- Specific question was asked if a member can manufacture an AR-15 at i3.
- Jody: Setting aside personal opinions, we don't have the legal expertise to fully understand exactly what is or isn't legal, and the board has decided to err on the side of caution and for now has responded that work on firearms will not be allowed at i3.
- Mike: An actual policy should be added to the Standing Rules which would happen at a member meeting.
- Mel: And when we do settle on a policy we should figure out the best way to communicate that to members and guests.
- Jamie: This discussion should also be brought up at the next member meeting.
- Terry: What about concealed carry and the presence of weapons in the space?
- Jody: That should also be brought up for discussion.
- Mike: That's a very different discussion which will be much more polarizing.
- David: The ATF won't care about that nearly as much as about manufacturing.
- Nate: I hear it's very easy to get a response from the State Police on firearms policy. Also carrying weapons in the space doesn't put us into a tight spot like manufacturing would.
- Jeff: We should bring this up at the member meeting and see what the group as a whole thinks and whether we need to expend a lot more energy looking into this.
- Tony: If we put a blanket statement on working on guns, that would prevent someone from say working on a butt stock, which he thinks isn't something that should be prohibited.
- Matt: Suggests we start with a blanket 'no' and then allow exceptions on a case by case basis as we better understand the law
- Mark: Asks if anyone has an issue with a blanket ban on manufacture of lower receivers?
- Jamie: Suggests that each case should probably just get board approval
- David: Thinks that those who are making this decision aren't currently well enough informed to make these decisions.
- Mel (reading from ATF Ruling 2015-1): "any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business
of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a “weapon … which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,” i.e., a “firearm,” must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer’s records."
- Mel: From that, it sounds like for working on anything that can be considered a gun, i3 must be specifically licensed by the ATF, including event if we are only making available and providing access to tools and equipment for this purpose.
- Paul: Do any current members actively want to work on firearms at i3?
- Jody: Well the potential member who contacted us.
- Paul: As far as discussing this further, is it currently pressing, if not we don't need to feel pressured into making a ruling on this immediately.
- Jody: Ok, should we table this to the next member meeting?
Combination of current member-based officers
- Dana (VP of member retention) appears to not be a member anymore, and as such is not able to fulfill the duties of this office.
- Based on recent experience, we should combine the offices of Member Retention and Member Onboarding into a single office.
- Jamie: Historical note: this office was originally split off from member onboarding and treasurer to lessen the duties on the other officers. Not that this is a bad idea now, since the position hasn't worked out.
- Matt C: Terry has been handling a lot of the offboarding. Matt has put together a questionaire already for offboarding. Matt hasn't done much with the "retention" part and isn't sure what that might be.
- Terry: We're doing the bare minimum of what the VP of member retention would be doing already. This proposal wouldn't change what we're doing.
- Matt: When we split that off, we had things in mine like 'make sure keys get disabled' and 'make sure storage plots have been cleaned out.' Are those being done?
- Matt: Yes. And if there was a dedicated offboarding office, there might be some more things that could be built into it.
- Nate suggests the position could just be left open in case anyone wants to step into it.
- Terry: When the next election comes around, if someone else wants to run for it and then fizzles out, it's more work for the treasurer having to work around that person being there or not.
- Nation of Makers Convention is happening in June.
- Are we funding i3's presence at it? We are looking to send some number of members to it.
- We have received $1425 since we passed the hat at the last member meeting.
- Jody, Matt C, and Tony have volunteered to go so far. No one else has expressed solid interest, and at this point it's too late to add any more for planning reasons.
- Jody: We should discuss what to do with the donations and any funding from i3, and also the expectations of the members going, that they are going as
- Jody suggests the funding cover the entry fee to the event and transportation costs. Individuals cover lodging, food, and incidentals. If they want to be reimbursed for those latter items they can submit them.
- Tony: When Tony suggested this at the last meeting, his suggestion was that travel and lodging be paid for by i3.
- Emily: suggests that lodging is always included when funding trips like this.
- Jamie also suggests transportation, lodging, and entrance to the event be covered by i3.
- Matt H wants to make sure that everyone also gets covered evenly and the budget doesn't get run out before someone submits their receipts.
- Tony doesn't think that will happen, everyone going is trustworthy.
Large Bathroom Lighting Upgrade
- POC: Mike
- The large bathroom has 1 of 4 fluorescent tubes working. Maybe it's time to replace those with LED fixtures to continue phasing out fluorescents? Expected cost is $60-$120 so requesting a maximum of $150 to purchase and install new LED fixtures.
- The bathrooms have not been getting cleaned the way some members feel they should be. There are a few different ideas for dealing with this. Discuss, vote if there's something worth voting on.
- Jody: There is one or more members interested in taking on bathroom cleaning.
- Jody: We've had many discussions over the years about things like incentivizing cleaning, or suggesting if every member cleaned the bathroom once a year, etc, but nothing has come of it.
- Glen Moore owns a cleaning company and has offered to clean our bathrooms weekly with a monthy deep clean for $50/month.
- Jody suggests adding a contribution box and i3 covering the rest.
- Emily suggests we should just fund it outright and not deal with a contribution box.
- Jamie agrees, and thinks it's more respectful of Glen's time to make it something we just pay for.
- Jeff suggests we just give him a scholarship for this so no one has to deal with taxes on this and stuff.
- Matt is under the impression that we can't do this as a 501(c)3
- Paul suggests paying him and also adding a tips box.
- Matt this would be $600/year which is the limit for us having to submit tax paperwork. If we made it $49 we avoid that issue.
- Mike: Is that illegal?
- Mel: This is legal tax avoidance.
- David: What about other members that contribute many hours, including cleaning, do they get compensated? Jan cleans the bathroom weekly.
- Nate: As someone who's utterly squicked out by i3's bathrooms and touching anything related to them, I would be delighted to throw a few bucks in a box for all the times I should've cleaned it but didn't. We can totally award a scholarship for doing service to the org. Isn't that part of the scholarship app right now? 'What sort of contribution do you want to make to the community?'
- Matt C: Scholarhips are usually need based, and we try to avoid making them contingent on other contributions. It's a selection criteria, but scholarhips aren't contingent on it. The only questions we ask are about what classes they might be interested in teaching and what kind of skills do you bring to the community.
- Jamie: Going back to the point about this being undermarket value, why not ask him what market rate is and offer to pay that?
- David: If you have unique skills, why aren't you already using them to help the community? Are we a community of volunteers for everything except cleaning? We should submit for quotes on this.
- Jeff: Will talk to Glen and suggest he fill out a scholarship form, and may clean the bathrooms but not contingent on the scholarship.
- Jamie: Suggests we bring this up at the next membership, if they think it's a slippery slope.
- Matt H moves to table this to the next member meeting and Tony seconds.
VP of Scheduling
- Suggesting for replacing "Classes and Activites" with "Scheduling" and appointing Paul L. with the understanding that he will need to work with the board to get that position properly defined and working.
- Paul thinks "Scheduling" isn't a great name and likes the current one.
- Jody: The thought was to break off 'Activities' like parties from the coordinating 'Classes'.
- Paul: Thinks it's more about finding people to run events which is a lot more general than 'Scheduling'
Space & Zone Discussions
- On slack there's been a list of storage plots posted that contain things and may not belong to an active member.
- David asks if anyone else wants to take this on.
- Jeff volunteers.
Moderation has been really quiet.
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed: 9:21
- Funds appropriated: $1150
- Attendees: 16
Action Item Summary
|Add this discussion to the next member meeting.||Jamie|
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Table this discussion to the next member meeting||Jody||Tony||5||0||PASS|
|Appoint Paul Lee to the position of Vice President of Classes and Activities||Tony||David||5||0||PASS|
|The board budgets from the general fund up to $1000 to cover transportation, lodging and entry fees for Tony Slover, Matt Carpenter, and Jody Raiford for the Nation of Makers Convention||Tony||Matt H||5||0||PASS|
|Allocate up to $150 for the purchase of new LED lighting for the large bathroom||Matt H||Tony||5||0||PASS|
|Replace the two offices "VP of Onboarding" and "VP of Membership Retention" with a single office of "VP of Membership" which combines the duties of both offices, and appoint Matt Carpenter to that office||Matt H||David||5||0||PASS|
- Matt H
- Matt C
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20180410||Board Meeting Minutes 20180626|