Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20180626
- 1 Agenda for 06-26-2018
- 1.1 Officer Reports
- 1.2 Old Business
- 1.3 New Business
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 06-26-2018
Treasurer & Budget
We haven't been tracking really great up until now, but Mel is working on getting our monthly income and expenses cleaned up. Evan will be getting a quote on how much we expect expansion to cost to help with budgeting for that. Here are the numbers for May:
- Income: $12,526.81
- Expenses: $(12,298.13)
- Net: $228.68
- Some timing issues with electric bills means expenses are higher than usual.
- Alec thanks Mel for taking over and doing a great job so far. Applause
- David: Do you need help from zone coordinators for the tax report?
- Mel: hasn't touched that since taking over but will be working on that soon. Has heard from all zone coordinators in at least some way.
- Nothing to report
Work In Progress (W.I.P.):
- Documentation for UM School of Social Work outlining "MakerRoom Project/Pilot" for Detroit area schools
- Goal is to teach maker skills to upperclassmen in social work so they can implement maker oriented projects in their social work.
- Working with Charlie on Lease for existing space and B. Nektar space. Charlie has a good rapport with the landlord. He's OK with us being month-to-month and when B. Nektar is ready to move we'll sign a new lease Also please do not pester B. Nektar people about when they're planning to move. We don't need many uncoordinated points of contact.
- All things Maker Faire.
- Discussion on Wood Working Zone re-arrangement
- Plan is to move member storage tower south 4 feet
- David: Doesn't think the board has any major issues with this, just have to deal with getting people to remove their stuff
- Alec: Would it block sheet goods storage?
- Greg: No, it will line up with the member storage on the wall.
- Jeff suggests doing it at an August member meeting.
- Greg suggests it will take more time and should happen at the next Potlock.
- Matt H: Is four feet south the minimum necessary or the best of possible options?
- Greg: It's the best option
- Question: Did we ever decide to institute a document for i3 incidents that members can fill out?
- Alec: there hasn't been any motion on that. Alec will talk to Vivian after the meeting.
Senior Vice President
- Nothing to report
VP of Activities & Classes
- 12 classes and 35 other events since last board meeting. Only 2 were member-only.
- 77 guests counted on the sign in sheets since the last Board Meeting.
VP of Membership-Onboarding
- Up 7 members since the last board meeting.
- 2 new scholarship and 1 renewall.
- Matt spoke to some others at NOMCon about onboarding and they thought our process was slick.
- Contacted 5-10 people stuck in phase 2
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- Alec and Emily are each each addressing one item, nothing else to report.
Action Item Review
Add discussion [Bathroom cleaning] to the next member meeting. - Jamie - Done.
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
Appointment of New Treasurer
The following was adopted by email vote:
Postpone June Meeting
- Several scholarship applications were discussed
- Discussion of moving the storage tower and whether or not we should continue having storage.
Royal Starr Film Festival Partnership
POC: James O'Dell
- Royal Starr (https://www.royalstarr.org) is looking to partner with i3Detroit.
- i3Detroit would gain access to the established film maker community, including actors, directors, writers, prop makers, costume makers, special effects, digital effects, etc
- i3Detroit would be able to advertise with logos on the big screen, a table at the monthly mixer events.
- Royal Starr is asking for four (4) free memberships. Access to i3 space to hold board or director meetings and a future film maker mixer.
- Royal Starr would like to add a maker element to the film festival and we are the best maker space around!
- Joseph: is that 4 memberships they want free or do they just want to be members?
- James: We would provide that for free.
- David: That would be us giving up $2400 (annual cost of 4 memberships) and letting them use the space for meetings in exchange for advertising.
- James: Some of those involved are former members. They want four so they can have two people availble at any time to host meetings.
- Tony: Are they just going to use the memberships for hosting meetings?
- James: They would be regular members.
- Lew: If the intent is to only host meetings and we give them scholarships, that takes away from other people who could have them.
- Mel: how many scholarships are we currently using?
- Matt: We have 170 members so 17 potential scholarships. We currently only have 5 recipients.
- Gary: Do they want full access to the equipment here?
- James: Yes
- Gary: What about just allowing them to host meetings and not giving them tool access.
- Matt: That would require creating a new class of member. We could give them the scholarships for the 6-month period and then re-evaluate what we are getting out of it and how active they are in the community.
- Alec & David suggests we sholdn't make any new classes.
- Kevin: This is a very expectation-laden exchange. If they are going to be members, make sure they have expectations clearly laid out since both sides are getting something out of it.
- Tony: The tangible benefit we'd be getting is advertisement, and 4 memberships is a lot. He likes Matt C's suggestion of if we do this with scholarships, re-evaluate after 6 months.
- Vivian: why not give the representative who James spoke with to pitch this
- Mel: From our tax and growth perspective, this could be another area we could expand into, and currently we have a lot of unused scholarships.
- Lew: If they want to show off the space to their community, we could invite them to come in for a tour sometimes.
- Mike: Do they want the memberships because they can't afford them?
- James: No, it would be a trade.
- Matt H, Joseph, ALec, Jan would like to hear from their representative or the four potential members.
- Tanya has been coordinating by herself with some help from Lew.
- They've been teaching a lot of classes recently and they're having some space issues with having enough room for students to work. Some people have complained that we only have a hallway.
- Tanya would like to be able to use the space currently taken up by carts.
- Alec: So you want to add the cart storage area to the jewelry zone?
- Tanya: Yes
- Mel: If you move the carts to large project storage where does that go?
- Lew: If you move the carts near the garage door area you don't have the disrupt large project storage.
- David: Would the commons' tables be useful? They could temporarily be moved over there during classes.
- Tanya: Yes, that would give more space. It was really crowded at the last class wtih 7 people.
- Lew: We need a solid base to mount equipment to. We used the vinyl zone desk at the vinyl desk, until someone came in to use the vinyl cutter and we had to move.
- Lew: We could swap spaces between Jewelry and Kiln zone.
- Alec: thinks that would be unsafe when the kilns are running.
- Joseph thinks carts can be moved and it's a solvable problem to move them.
- Mel: Could we swap Leather and Jewelery?
- Lew: There still isn't enough space and it's difficult to access.
- Alec: Does any board member want to make a motion on this?
- David: It doesn't seem like there's a clear consensus other than more space is needed.
Wayne Metro Community Action Agency
- Thomas, while tending bar at The Henry Ford, recently spoke to some members of the Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency
- A collection of politicians and businesspeople. Their goal is to reduce poverty and help bring people out of poverty.
- There was a desire to speak with someone more official to learn more about i3, and there was some talk of fundraising.
- David: thinks it would be great if they wanted to come in for a tour and to talk.
- Matt H: Agrees, and thinks it's important for them to see and understand our community.
- Lew: We should avoid avoid anything overtly politically connected.
- Mel: From their website, they don't look political. They're a nonprofit working to eradicate poverty that looks like they partner with many other organizations.
- Thomas is looking for help in help communicating with them.
- Joseph volunteers to communicate/phone/email with them for i3.
- Request $1500 for Maker Faire.
- Money to be used for truck rental, new brochures, flyers, new small tent? Previous tent was damaged. Plan to spend much less, but, don't want to under estimate.
- David: is the expectation usually that recoup expenses at the party?
- Joseph: We have in past years.
- Jeff: Has anyone else followed up about getting Rocket Fiber?
- Mel: Has provided Swit our current internet expenses and he has talked to them. So far they aren't crossing the railroad tracks.
Advertising to Tech Shop Members
- Gary has a list of tech shop mailing addresses and he is wondering if we want to do anything with that?
- Matt H: Where did the list come from?
- Gary: It came from the tech shop bankruptcy filing. It includes members, sponsors, and others who had dealing with them so we'd have to do some culling. It's all public info.
- David: That seems really spammy and weasley.
- Matt H: It seems really orthogonal to how we usually do things.
- Vivian suggests if we were going to do anything, do it with an open house or when we expand.
- Gary mentions the list will eventually get stale if we sit on it too long.
- David: his personal view is that when an organization takes information that was exposed publicly and uses it to send unsolicited emails it really lowers his opinion of that organization.
- Gary: It's mailing addresses, not email addressses.
- David: That's still the same issue.
- Gary: That's how a lot of marketing works, and it would just be an awareness thing, not asking for a sale.
- Tony: Still doesn't think that's how we do things.
- Alec: Summing up, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of support for this. Further discussion can happen in #Marketing on slack.
- Time completed: 9:15
- Funds appropriated: $2000
- Attendees: 18
Action Item Summary
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Approve moving the member storage structure 4 feet south||Tony||David||6||0||PASS|
|Appoint Mel Gilchrist as treasurer.||David||Jody||7||0||PASS|
|Allocate up to $500 for the Maker Faire after-party||Joseph||David||7||0||PASS|
|Table this discussion to slack||Jody||Matt H||6||0||PASS|
|Postpone the board meeting on 6/12/18 until 6/26/18||Jody||Jan||7||0||PASS|
|Allocate up to $1500 for Maker Faire expenses||Matt H||David||7||0||PASS|
- Matt H
- Tony S
- Jeff P
- Vivian S
- Matt C
- Joseph B
- Tanya T
- Jan H
- David H
- Greg S
- James O
- Paul L
- Thomas T
- Gary G
- Jody R
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20180508||Board Meeting Minutes 20180710|