Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20180911

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 09-11-2018

'Chair: Vivian 7:37pm'

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Tax


Member income: 9,470.66
Donations 384.00
classes income: 105.29
zone income: 180.00
tshirt income: 80.00
Total income: 10,219.95
Expenses: 6,673.53
Net for August: 3,546.42
Bank balance 54,040.91
Emergency Fund (30,000.00)
Net 24,040.91


Spreadsheet of equipment is nearly complete. All zone coordinators should double check that nothing is missing. Mark would like us to standardize dates. Next month is the when the whole thing absolutely needs to be done. Feel free to update anything that is missing or incomplete.


  • Flat tire is not fun.


  • Mysterious comments about landlord and building maintenance.
    • Information appears to exist that cannot be shared with the president or board.
    • Would like to for a committee to investigate other places so we understand what our options are.
    • Mel has a contact from a place in Royal Oak that is looking for industrial / warehouse in Royal Oak / Ferndale.
    • Lew, state of current lease is indeterminate, want to avoid a situate of needing to move. Would recommend a commercial realtor.
    • Paul should have a committee formed to investigate
    • Art - look carefully before signing or entering any agreements in the commercial space.
    • Jeff - Moving into the old Tech Shop space might be a thing.
  • Update on Social Work SIG
    • There will be one student when they return from Germany.

Senior Vice President

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Jewelry Zone classes continue to be very popular especially with guests.
  • New Class and Instructor: Ask a Luthier, by Thomas T.
  • Thad will be doing an injection molding class, possibly a series.
  • PotLock was moved to October 20th due to lack of interest/abundance of conflicts.
  • Intro to CNC class in the planning and development stages, nearing completion.
  • Possible head molding workshop coming soon.
  • Andy is developing a microcontroller class based on some Particle boards and dev kits sent to i3 under his initiative.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

  • +2 on today.
  • Discussions on slack to convey more information as part of the process.
  • Thoughts on using the 3rd Tuesday.

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

  • Spray paint on driveway.
    • How to deal with this and set a deadline. It's been about a month.
    • What tools do we have to deal with this. Suspension has been done in the past.
    • There is a concept of trying a larger pressure washer.
    • Graffiti remover was recommended.
    • See standing rules on suspension. At least two seem to apply.


If either tried a power washer or a removal with graffiti remover by 9/22 has not occurred. The board will begin suspension proceedings.

Moved by Paul, Seconded by Mark
6 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Old Business

Action Item Review

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Last activity for old board was to approve funding to jewelry zone for a one time restocking of small tools and consumables.
  • Welcome to the new board and creation of new channel for this term.
  • Discussion about stuff we should do and potential timeline
    • September: Call for Volunteers (officers, officer seconds/trainees, ZCs, ZC seconds/trainees)
    • October: Recognize officers/ZCs/seconds; ask ZCs and Treasurer to prep for Budget Meeting
    • November: Budget Numbers Due. Enter them in a spreadsheet and open discussion
    • December: 2019 Budget Meeting

Allocate $420 to Jewelry Zone for one time refresh of supplies
Moved by Jody R, Seconded by Alec B
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

New Business


  • Should pick a chairperson
  • Default chair of the meeting is President, Vice President, if not default to board. We will just assign on the fly if needed.

Call for Officers & Zone Coordinators & Volunteers

  • Should do this.
  • Like the idea of assistant officers and coordinators.
  • There are some concerns about the quantity of training needed vs. making it easier to use.


PoC: Paul

  • Discuss current and possible new committees:
    • Expansion Committee - investigate new space:
Action Item: Paul - Paul Jan Jody Mel, Matt to research new space options and report back at the next board meeting.
    • other ideas?

Space & Zone Discussions

Floor Plan

Member Storage

  • Jeff was working to contact Greg.
    • Jody. Based on feedback 3rd hand, moving fixtures should be ok. adding or removing would need a permit.
    • Does the board need to re-approve the move based on this updated information.
    • Need to locate a qualified volunteer to assist with this during the next Potlock in October.

Committee Reports

Safety & Compliance Committee

  • Classroom door should swing outwards for safety exit.
  • Dust collector should be cleaned more frequently.
    • Would be good to check these at least annually. Place a label on it when last checked.
  • Would be helpful if general maintenance items were kept up on and noted.

Moderation Committee

  • Uptick in spam hitting contact@, but most is still caught by google's filter.
  • Spammer join attempts to -public continue at a low level.
  • Actual moderation on lists hasn't been necessary lately. Phew!
  • A little bit of off-list help for folks posting to -announce, etc. Pretty quiet overall.

Nbezanson (talk) 11:40, 11 September 2018 (EDT)

Lost & Found Party

  • Should go through and either ticket or action previously ticketed items.
  • Hours on Google site seem to have changed, working on fixing, see slack for discussion in progress.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:36 pm
  • Funds appropriated: $420
  • Attendees: 12

Action Item Summary

Action ItemPOC
Paul Jan Jody Mel, Matt to research new space options and report back at the next board meeting.Paul

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Allocate $420 to Jewelry Zone for one time refresh of suppliesJody RAlec B70PASS
If either tried a power washer or a removal with graffiti remover by 9/22 has not occurred. The board will begin suspension proceedings.PaulMark60PASS


  1. Jan Henry
  2. David Henry
  3. Mark Furland
  4. Jody Raiford
  5. Melissa Gilchrist
  6. Paul Lee
  7. Matt Carpenter
  8. Jeff Pynnonen
  9. Lewis Dennison
  10. Arther Mize
  11. Vanessa Lipson
  12. Vivian Sanders

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20180814 Board Meeting Minutes 20181009