Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20181009
- 1 Agenda for 10-09-2018
- 1.1 Officer Reports
- 1.2 Old Business
- 1.3 New Business
- 1.3.1 Thank You Cards
- 1.3.2 Potential grants
- 1.3.3 Budget requests
- 1.3.4 Choose zone coordinators/officers
- 1.4 Space & Zone Discussions
- 1.5 Committee Reports
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 10-09-2018
Treasurer & Tax
|Net for September:||$5,801.51|
- DAVG got a $1200 grant, $1100 was reimbursed for expenses, $100 is dontated to i3.
I have delegated some things, and expect to have a draft tax return to the board by the end of the month.
- State of Michigan LARA paperwork is done. Board & Officers are registered for the next year.
- First student from the U of M School of Social Work project is starting soon. Also plans to expand the project to the U of M Flint once the first student has started.
- See U of M SSW Project for details.
VP of Activities & Classes
- Jewlery Zone has been having lots of good classes lately and we have some other new classes are coming up (Injection molding, butcher block making).
VP of Membership-Onboarding
- +2 Members
- +7 Onboard-ers
- -2 or 3 on hiatus
Goals for 2018-2019 Officer Session
- Automate the Google spreadsheets used in processing membership requests
- Automatic emails letting scholarship holders know when they have 30 days until their scholarship expires
- Set up one (two) monthly primary new member nights (using suggested information new members should know)
- Turn information shared during the member nights into Dallas Makerspace-esque member handbook
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- Emily is stepping down, Alec would like to continue.
Action Item Review
Paul Jan Jody Mel, Matt to research new space options and report back at the next board meeting.
- Mel - started but should assign this again for next meeting.
- Paul has a few places he's going to call this week.
- Also spoke with John today who just spoke with our neighbors. They are expected to start moving out by end of year.
- If you have any suggestions on this topic, let one of the people above know.
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
- Discussion of paint on the driveway. It is cleaned up now.
- Discussion of new officers, sending out surveys for officers/zone coordinators.
- Discussion of people leaving messes, potential policy changes, but nothing concrete yet.
Thank You Cards
- Charlie suggests thank you cards to outgoing and continuing officers, board members, zone coordinators.
- Would be very nice for them to be recognized.
- Mel has an idea to kind of expand on that, something opposite parking tickets, for people to point out positive things people see. Matt A volunteers to make this.
- Also where did thank you email threads go?
- Jody feels like doing 'institutionalized' Thank Yous.
- Mel suggests we don't have to do it like that, individuals can do it, should budget $50 for it.
POC: Alex Polonsky - See attached
- Alex has been running the Detroit Autonomous Vehicle Group for over a year now.
- Has been getting grants and funding to promote this with how popular that topic is now
- He spoke to someone from Score (they work with small business development) and has a list of local grants that we might be interested in, see the above image.
- Jody posted this to the #grants_fundraising slack channel.
- Paul also notes that this flyer also mentions low interest loans.
- On a similar note, Art(sAndCrash) is on the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce and knows no one there knows of us. They have a silent auction/gala on November 7, if someone wanted to donate something made here worth $80-$90.
- Discussion of this should move to Slack.
- $700 for Halloween party (Jan & Melissa) - It's in line with the last two parties. We usually make some of it back in donations.
Craft Room Lights
- $200 for craft room lights (Jan) - Upgrade from fluorescent to LEDs
Choose zone coordinators/officers
- We still need coordinators for Bike & Compute.
- Robert B volunteers to take Compute in addition to Media Lab.
- Haven't heard back with Dave about Wood Shop, Greg will check with him.
- Jeff Bricker would like to do Bike Zone.
- Need Vice President, Secretary, and a Member Advocate.
- Secretary mostly takes notes at meetings, runs board votes, runs elections, files paperwork with the state.
- Mike would also be OK with an assistant secretary to help with taking minutes at at least board minutes.
- We will keep trying to fill this one.
- Vivian and Coogle are interested in being President.
- Vivian will be staying for one more year.
- Lew is interested in being VP as well.
- Coogle would also be OK as VP.
- Mel suggests Coogle as VP and Lew stay on with Jewelry
- Lew: has seen the space grow over 4 years and would really like to help keep it on that track. Also he doesn't do the bulk of the Jewelry zone work.
- Coogle: has his fingers in a lot of pies, helping with new member orientation, working on new CRM software, has been actively involved in general as a newer member. There's a balance between doocracy and organized structure. Has a lot of experience with nonprofits in general, has experience volunteering and motivating volunteers.
- Both wouldn't be really upset of not picked.
- Mike: Coogle: would you stop doing any of the things you're doing if you aren't picked? No.
- Charlie: Coogle how do you balance contracting with volunteering?
- Coogle: Has a lot of freedom setting his own hours.
- Charlie apologizes for askign a lot of questions of Coogle
- Lew is also very involved, setting up classes, is usually at i3 at least 4 days a week.
- Jan points out that the person picked should work well with Vivian.
- Lew already works together with Vivian being at i3 a lot during weekdays.
- Vivian knows Lew, would have to get to know Coogle.
- Jan would either be interested in taking over as President next year when Vivian steps down next year?
- Both would.
- Charlie mentions he made a recommendation for who to take over after he was President and wants to know Vivian's thoughts
- Vivian knows Lew already and doesn't want to be biased against Coogle since she doesn't know him
- Coogle suggests Lew as VP and he volunteers to help Vivian in any other way she needs.
- We have one (Alec), two would be ideal.
- Arthur Mize volunteers, though acknowledges that it would be best to have a female member advocate as well. Also notes that per personal ethics and law, he will report to law enforecement if it is required.
- Still needs an assistant to eventually take over.
Bike Zone - Jeff Bricker Classroom - Matt Arnold Commons - Alec Beardsley Compute & Media Lab - Robert Burns CNC - Thad Johnson Craft Room - Kevin Flory & Jan Henry Electronics Lab - Nate Bezanson Kiln Zone - Jody Raiford (Glass) & Vanessa Lipson (Ceramics) Injection Molding - Thad Johnson Jewelry Zone - Tanya Tkacz & Lewis Dennison Infrastructure - Evan Allen Leather - Karianne Gottschalk Laser Zone - Mike Fink Machine Shop - Tony Slover Tool Crib - Evan Allen Vinyl Zone - Charlie Rysenga Wood Shop - Greg Smith Welding - Jody Raiford
President - Vivian Sanders Vice President - Lewis Dennison Treasurer - Melissa Gilchrist Vice President of Classes - Paul Lee Jr. Vice President of Mmebership - Matt Carpenter Member Advocate - Alec Beardsley & Arthur Mize
Space & Zone Discussions
- Storage pylon is moving Oct. 20.
Safety & Compliance Committee
- Elab overflow may be too high on the mezzanine.
- Extension cords to cord reels on the ceiling need to be removed and replaced.
- Fire extinguishers are good.
- First aid kit is good.
- The machine shop has two multitap outlets of cheap construction that tend to hang out of the plug. I'd recommend installing a quad outlet. I've emailed the zone coordinator and mentioned it to Mark.
- There is also a multitap outlet in the craft room with a cord that doesn't reach, requiring them to plug in and unplug an extension cord whenever they use it. The zone coordinators would appreciate help lengthening it.
- Time completed: 9:26
- Funds appropriated: $950
- Attendees: 17
Action Item Summary
|Find someone to update the officer and zone coordinator slides||Mike|
|Paul Jan Jody Mel, Matt to continue researching new space options and report back at the next board meeting.||Paul, Mel|
|Find new secretary or at least a scribe for some meetings||Mike/Board|
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Appoint the above zone coordinators and officers.||Matt C||Mark F||6||0||PASS|
|Budget $200 for craft room lighting upgrade||David||Mark||6||0||PASS|
|Budget $50 for thank you supplies||Matt C||Mark F||6||0||PASS|
|Budget $700 for halloween party expenses||Paul||Mark||6||0||PASS|
- Jody R
- Mike F
- Vivian S
- James O
- Charlei R
- Arthur M
- Lewis D
- Matt C
- Jeff P
- Paul L
- Greg S
- John C
- David H
- Jan H
- Mel G
- Mark F
- Matt A
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20180911||Board Meeting Minutes 20181113|