Minutes: Board Meeting Minutes 20181113
1 Agenda for 11-13-2018
- 1.1 Officer Reports
- 1.2 Old Business
- 1.3 New Business
- 1.4 Space & Zone Discussions
- 1.5 Committee Reports
- 1.6 Lost & Found Party
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 11-13-2018
'Chair: Matt Carpenter
Treasurer & Tax
|net class income:||$346.84|
|Net for October:||-$2374.00|
- DAVG decided to up their donation from $100 to $200. (Got a $1200 grant, $1000 was used for their trip and event)
- Also, for timing reasons, we paid rent 3 times in October.
- Amazon reinstated us, yay! We're still looking at a new processor. (they had previously dropped us for not being a 501c3. It took a couple weeks to convince them we are. Mel has been poking them to fix it, finally worked.)
- Q: Charlie - Are there actually complaints about only using Paypal? A: Mel - Yes.
- Meeting with interested folks on Thursday evening. Contact Treasurer if you want to be involved.
- Might be looking at membership issues because of Amazon Interruptions.
Thanks for all the help, especially Jody, Paul, & Mark. First draft has been sent. Second will be out tonight. Final should be ready to sign shortly.
- No progress on finding a replacement or note-taker
- Idea: Record and transcribe? Generally popular, but issues need to be addressed.
- Nes volunteers to take notes at next board meeting!
Senior Vice President
- Couldn't make it
VP of Activities & Classes
- CNC class happened, seems to have gone well (Thanks Brandon!)
- Next CNC happening in December
- Upcoming: Make fancy butter
VP of Membership-Onboarding
- Since 11/1 - 5 new members (gross)
- Will add more info after
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- Only 1 minor item/concern. Review of the guest policy.
Action Item Review
- Lease, we need to review the pricing data we have and make a proposal.
- Discussion of rent amounts [redacted]
- Proposed lease terms:
- Allowed to break lease with no penalty if the neighboring space isn't available by July 2019
- Clarifications on "Secrecy" term
- Maintenance responsibility clarification
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
- Landlord meeting happened, discussion of lease numbers currently and going forward.
- Next Landlord meeting to happen when he gets back from a trip.
- New lease terms discussion.
- Read the Harassment policy and prohibited activities requirement during membership process
- Clarification of parking ticket rules
- Officer and ZC confirmations
- Google Groups Weirdness (not showing what should be)
- Establishment of Key Box
- Vending Zone ideas/complaints
- Many Waivers not filled correctly (not signed, no date, etc)
- NoM Survey
- Tool Crib tools
- Ways to enhance communication (Slack notification options)
- Upcoming Budget meeting
- Payment processing options
- Charlie's epiphany:
- Nate's drills exemplify the point that tools have a shelf life (everything does)
- We have the ability to keep things working
- Treasurer is working on depreciation tables (financial)
- Mike: financial isn't the same as working life
- Charlie pulls it back: ZCs that want new toys should include lifespan data for future planning
- Set funds aside from the beginning for replacement (Add that to the "usage fees" etc.)
- Nate's example: Drill batteries wear out, don't pretend to be surprised. Space is trying to own its own tools, rather than member tools
- Inaudible: The space is finally older than the life span of Harbor Freight tools
- Charlie: What do we do for the next 100 years?
- Mark: Estimated Lifespan is a good idea
- (Calm, orderly discussion regarding budgets and maintenance stuff, so calm that it was impossible to record)
- Charlie: We need to formally and officially finish the process of i3 owning tools, and thanks to everyone who had stuff here!
- Budget discussion:
- Do we give money to the zones, or have budget/reimbursement process
- Art: Corporate waste from "Use-it-or-loose-it"
- Art: Idea: Use percentage of overage vs dollar amounts
- Jody: Split it, UIOLI for maintenance, Saved for nice to have
- Art: Mumble grumble
- Mark: "Operational" vs "Capital"
- Dave: Ideal is zone self sufficiency
- Charlie is super proud that Vinyl is self-sufficient. Wants a new cutter, and wants to fix things that aren't perfect... Where does that fall?
- Art: Price cap, age expected to last, VS keeping zone running
- Jody/Mel: taxes problem? Nah...
- Nate: Expansion freeze rememberation... Suggest thought experiment: "What could each zone do with $1000?"
- Mike: Concern, SIGs? (General consensus, of course)
- Mike wants to pull an Oprah.
- Art Loves this idea
- Mel wants to focus on zone contributions for maintenance (which would help leave more money for zone shiny-fication)
- Budget meeting pregaming...
- Jody: Can we narrow this down to what we want to ask the ZCs
- Mark: How much does your zone get used for SPACE BUSINESS
- David: 3rd Tuesday meeting to discuss (NES VOLUNTEEERED AGAIN!)
- Alec budget request
- $325 for New (quality) stools (5 of them)
- Mark moves, jody seconds, Unanimous for
- Thank you for Representing us! (alex and Marc) (Thanks for the donation as well!!)
- Jan Budget request
- $400-500 for Serger Repair
- Dave: Warrantied?
- Jan: I'll be asking
- Jody: How long do we expect this to last (and replacement cost?)
- Jan: New would be $1800, expected to only last another couple years, and also needs yearly maintenance...
- Nate: Usage fees?
- Jan: Haven't before... Maybe need to?
- Charlie: I remember this thing breaking alot...
- Jan: No no no, that's the heap-o-crap embroidery machine
- Charlie: Are these appropriate for being here, standing up to our use/abuse?
- Jan: We're doing research. It's a trade off, ease of use vs. durability
- CHARLY: Does ANYBODY ACTUALLY USE THIS THING?
- Several people: YES
- Jody: Can we just spend the $800 for the used/new one with a good warranty?
- Paul: Proposal: Give Sewing $800 to make serging happen, ZC discretion, but leaning towards reliability. Mark Second - Unanimous pass
- Paul asks for budget for Butter thing
- Alec:Past board ok'd a fund for class fund... Mel has no record about it
- Paul motions for $200 for class budget for remainder of year - Mark Seconds - Passes unanimous (Paul abstains)
- Mark: Budget around $200 (w/in 20%) to let Nate buy new batteries for his tools. Paul seconds. Unanimous pass
Space & Zone Discussions
Safety & Compliance Committee
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed:
- Funds appropriated:
- $375 for stools, passed
- Side shift of Halloween funds for prizes and stuff... sure.
- $800 for Sewing for Serger
- $200 ish for Nate to buy new batteries
Matt C. - Chair Jody - Transcription Charlie David Jan Paul Mark Alec Art Nes Mike F.. Nate Mel Brian Logsten Matthew From
Action Item Summary
No action items.