Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190514

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for 05-14-2019

Chair: Matt Carpenter

Meeting Location

i3 Detroit 1481A Wordsworth St. Ferndale, MI 48220

Meeting called to order at 7:39 pm

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

  • April (and year-to-date) financial statement: Media:April_2019_Financial_Statement.pdf
  • Due to expenses from the expansion, we are running at a slight deficit
  • Mel is working hard on getting the Patronicity campaign up and going.
    • Good news! We can offer discounted (up to 100%) membership dues through the fundraising campaign.
    • However those funds must all be spent on expansion. If all the campaign funds came from dues that might leave less for operating expenses.
  • Our gas bills have been higher han usual for the pas several months, including taking B-Side into account.
Bank balance $57,924.36
Emergency Fund ($30,000.00)
Net $27,924.36

Tax Update

Extension was filed today. Been doing some research on other space's tax return and I think there are things I could do better, so I'm considering filing an amendment to 2017 first. I should have drafts to share with board soon.

Secretary

Nothing to report.

President

  • n/a

Senior Vice President

  • n/a

VP of Activities & Classes

  • We had a live fire extinguisher training last month.
  • Potluck attendance was a little light, probably because we forgot to announce it properly.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

  • We've had a lot of people coming in from Village Workshop.

VP of Membership-Member Advocate

  • Not present. No issues known of.
  • They now have a mail box to the right of the classroom door.

Committee Reports

Floor Planning Committee

  • Three plans have been submitted to the committee for consideration: Floor Plan Proposals
  • There have been discussions with many/most zone coordinators and some changes have been made based on that feedback.
  • Matt: Are all plans ready to be voted on and are the digital and physical copies the same?
  • Yes and No. Mark will finish getting an upated version of Plan B posted.

Fundraising Committee

Fundraising Committee Meeting Minutes 20190507

  • Patronicity/MEDC campaign has been scheduled for July/August.
  • We have approved a craft show as a fundraiser. Time and place will depend on CoO, but tentatively we're planning for end of June on B side.
Proposal:
Disband the Floorplanning Committee
Moved by Mark; Seconded by David
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Safety & Compliance Committee

Moderation Committee

Old Business

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Discussion of and creation of #ask-the-board slack channel.
  • We are almost out of scholarship slots, and there was discussion on changning to a scholarship fund with partial scholarships. Some potential language was suggested but it needs refinement, so this is being tabled.
  • Alec resigned and we appointed Aisha as member advocate.
  • What can we do on B-Side before getting CoO?
  • HVAC inspection for CoO:
    • 4/18/2019
      Proposal:
      Allocate $400 for an HVAC inspection for the furnaces on B-Side
      Moved by Jody; Seconded by Paul
      7 Ayes / 0 Nays
      Result: PASS
  • Tracking who has passwords to what accounts.
  • How to do the floor planning vote.

New Business

NOMCON 2019

NOMCON will be in Chattanooga 6/14-6/16. Tickets are $250 but Matt applied for three pay-what-you-can tickets for $75 apiece.

  • Do we want to send a group?
    • How many people? - Paul and Matt (and Jody?) have shown interest so far.

Final Floor Plan Selection

Tentatively planning for a referendum to open 5/14 and end 5/21 with a special board meeting on or around 5/23 for the official vote

Decisions which need to be made:

  • Type of vote
  • Roger: How are we providing the floor plan info to members?
  • Matt: Is planning to send out an email before the vote email with that information. That can also be embedded in the vote email itself.
  • How to phrase the question?
    • Ask 'Which floor plan is best for you?' to get member opinions. We will consider 'Which floor plan do you think is best for i3?' when we make our final decision.
  • Final board vote will be in person at a special meeting, tentatively 7:30 pm 5/23/2019.

i3 Has No Mission Statement

  • At the fundraising meeting, Vivian pointed out that i3 lacks a mission statement. Additionally, we don't have one cohesive vision (sounds like we may have several in different places?)
  • These are important pieces of information to provide to grant-giving organizations
    • Mkfink (talk): From our Articles of Incorporation: "The Mission of the corporation is to educate, create, inspire and innovate through open education, Research and Development." However I recognize vision and mission statements are somewhat different, but that's at least a place to start.
  • Mark suggets it could be done by the fundraising committee or the president, or a vision committee.
  • David suggests a vision statement should be voted on by the membership and not the board.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:23pm
  • Funds appropriated: $400
  • Attendees: 10

Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Allocate $400 for an HVAC inspection for the furnaces on B-SideJodyPaul70PASS
Disband the Floorplanning CommitteeMarkDavid70PASS

Attendance

  1. Matt C
  2. Mike F
  3. Mel G
  4. Paul L
  5. Jody R
  6. Mark F
  7. Roger S
  8. Matt C
  9. Jan H
  10. David H


Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20190326 Board Meeting Minutes 20190528