Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190611
- 1 Agenda for 06-11-2019
- 1.1 Meeting Location
- 1.2 Approve Past Meetings' Minutes
- 1.3 Officer Reports
- 1.3.1 Treasurer & Budget
- 1.3.2 Secretary
- 1.3.3 President
- 1.3.4 Senior Vice President
- 1.3.5 VP of Activities & Classes
- 1.3.6 VP of Membership-Onboarding
- 1.3.7 VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- 1.3.8 Committee Reports
- 1.4 Old Business
- 1.5 New Business
- 2 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 06-11-2019
Chair: John Coggeshall
i3 Detroit 1481A Wordsworth St. Ferndale, MI 48220
Meeting was Called to Order At: 7:36pm
Approve Past Meetings' Minutes
- Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190312
- Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190326
- Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190409
- Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190514
- Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20190528
Treasurer & Budget
Senior Vice President
VP of Activities & Classes
- We had some classes, including business taxes.
- Matt C, Paul, and Thomas are going to NOMCon this weekend.
- Maker Faire Detroit will still be happening, despite the problems Make is having
VP of Membership-Onboarding
- Contacted scholarship recipients asking what dollar amounts they would be comfortable with for a partial scholarship, and this freed up some additional scholarship funds.
- Membership has continued to steadily increase, +4-5/month
VP of Membership-Member Advocate
- There have been a few online and in person incidents that are being/have been dealt with, and there was an incident with the accidental use of a hate symbol in a project that we should make a statement on.
- Plan right now is to finish converting dividing wall into fire wall and then have reinspection for CoO
- A very rough Roadmap for the expansion and what needs to be done in what order.
Safety & Compliance Committee
- Jody met with Cintas, got quote for fire extinguisher certifications
- Plan is to get at least one, preferably a couple, more quotes to compare
- This is important for code compliance
- Cost seems comparable/competitive with the cost/effort of doing this ourselves.
Chamber of Commerce
- Is it worth joining?
- $250 per year (paperwork or requirements?)
- Art: local companies don't know we exist and some are interested in our capabilities.
- They have frequent 'coffees' informal gatherings that we could host, but those are booked through August.
- Other suggestion is doing a ribbon cutting which could get our name out and possibly bring in donations
- A ribbon cutting requires a membership.
- Art is very involved with the chamber and can take point on this.
- Jody: This was also a big suggestion that was made at NOMCon.
- Also possibility that the fee could be discounted.
- Scope statement for running a fundraiser is here: HOWTO Run a Fundraiser
- Approval of a fundraiser is required if any of the following are true:
- The request will be seen by any non members (public mailing list, social media, direct contact with grant-givers etc.)
- You are requesting $1000 or more
- You do not have spending authority for the area which would be receiving the funds (ZC, SIG Leader, Officer/Board)
Membership Dues for MEDC Donation
- MEDC working group met, they and have a slight change to the suggested fundraising dates, since a 60 day fundraiser starting July 1 ends a few days before the end of August, which could be confusing. Starting it 60 days before August 31 puts the start at the 4th of July so that's also not good. So suggested dates are July 9 - August ?.
- Discounted dues?
- Limit to how much dues?
- If every member paid a full year of dues in July, we wouldn't collect many dues for the next year, and all donated money needs to be used toward the expansion project.
- Does rent and utilities for B-Side count as expansion expenses? Not sure.
- We have enough in the bank for rent and utilities if this actually became a problem.
- Mel: we need to balance getting outside funding with dues from members. We could set a limit on how many dues are paid through the campaign possibly.
- Coogle, Matt, Mark, and Mel had a meeting today
- We should be able to transfer to it soon
- There have been a limited number of people paying dues through it for a few months.
- Main issue now is there are some user interface elements that don't do anything yet, could use some help on the PHP code behind this.
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
Wood Shop Coordinator
Fire extinguisher training re-cert
- Time completed: 8:11pm
- Funds appropriated: $321
- Attendees: 7
Action Item Summary
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Approve the above meeting minutes||Mark||Jody||4||0||PASS|
|Appoint Thomas Tusano as Wood Shop coordinator||Mark||Jody||7||0||PASS|
|Allocate $71 to pay for the re-certification of the fire extinguisher used in a fire extinguisher training||Mark||Jody||7||0||PASS|
|Allocate $250 for one year membership with the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce.||Mark||Matt||5||0||PASS|
- John C
- Mike F
- Matt C
- Jody R
- Mark F
- Mel G
- Paul L
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20190528||Board Meeting Minutes 20190709|