Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20210713

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 07-13-2021

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:39 by Jamie

Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

Treasurer's report: https://www.i3detroit.org/wi/images/c/c2/2021.06-JuneMonthlyFinancialReport.pdf

Bank balance $108,656.5
Emergency Fund ($30,000)
Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc. ($28,276.19)
Allocated to Expansion (MEDC) ($36,349.73)
Net $14,060.58

  • We're up a bit at the moment, with more members coming back from hiatus (AND joining!), but still hovering around break-even.
  • Still making progress on getting that grant money spent, keep it up!
  • Had to make some refunds, will explain in the CRM section.
  • Some oddness as 3 rent checks cashed in one month, and then one the next month.


  • No updates


  • Hopefully the last set of COVID rules updates for a while.
  • Have some issues with conflicting current rules that may require clarification.
    • Vaccination status is not tracked or maintained by i3.
    • Instructors are allowed to check for classes they host. These classes may not be i3 hosted events due to responsibility of tracking medical data.
    • How to be clear that i3 does not track or store the data.
    • Is this even a problem that does exist, or just one that could?
    • It seems fairly simple don't provide status, just wear the mask.
    • There is nothing in the approved rules that indicates the information will be tracked, just asked during a hosted event.
    • Add a simple sentence to any Eventbrite event to indicate that the instructor may ask for vaccination status information.
    • Should also indicate this isn't tracked.
  • Is this a proposal, or is it just something to do by the VP of events?
    • Moving to move on and handle this offline.

Senior Vice President

  • No update

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Up coming Events Calendar
  • In person event's are happening.
    • Alternating Friday tours in person with virtual.
    • Miniature painting workshop discussion in progress.
    • Potlock is coming. Looks like July 31.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

Membership changes since last meeting:

  • 1 Member left
  • 1 Member returned from Hiatus
  • 2 Scholars Left (One on Hiatus, the other left more permanently)
  • 1 New scholarship started

Scholarship fund update:

  • 11 Members on scholarship
  • $549 Allocated (30% available)
  • Average value of $49.91/scholar
  • Net change of 0 dues-paying members and -1 scholarship since last meeting

  • First in-person tour night of 2021 was Friday, July 2nd
    • One potential member visited and received a tour
    • Mostly it was just a nice hang-out session in the driveway with members!
    • Doing it again this Friday

Member Advocate

  • Don't have an advocate at this time.
  • Paul Lee volunteers to do this.
Appoint Paul Lee as a member advocate.
Moved by Mark, Seconded by Paul F
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Committee Reports

CRM Committee

  • Found an issue that actually started in May, though it wasn't caught until June. The CRM was double charging a few folks for some arcane computer-glitch reason. Norm thinks the bug has been found and squashed, and everyone who was double charged should have been refunded and notified.
  • Just a reminder, it never hurts to check your CRM account and make sure it looks the way you expect. Jody is happy to help fix discrepancies, especially since more of those seem to stem from simple errors than from actual mistakes. And even in cases of mistakes, we're really lenient in general, especially around COVID time stuff.
  • Still looking for helpers! People who know anything about coding and want to offer services, drop by the #CRM channel on slack. Or if you don't know anything about coding but you have much experience with our CRM, or even other CRM systems and want to help with the design, would be glad to hear from you.

Fundraising Committee

  • Nothing much happening, so no meeting this month.
  • If anybody has anything to propose, the slack channel is probably the best place to do it.

Safety & Compliance Committee

  • No update.
  • Reports only expected in July. Request was sent to Sean, but that was today, so no response yet.

Moderation Committee

  • Mailing list looks spam free, so it must be working.

Old Business

Motion to approve last months minutes
Moved by None, Seconded by None
0 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Camera Review Review

  • No reviews done.

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • No active messages in board channel.
  • One advocate issue discussed. There could be others if they went to email. Good thing we now have an advocate to handle it.

Outstanding action items

  • Insurance quotes.
    • One offer was sent to the board.
    • If the auto payment for current goes through, we'll go with that as the new quote is about double the cost. Needs review to confirm if it for comparable coverage.
    • No opposition to seeing if the current provider processes the payment.
    • Need to monitor carefully as we want to avoid a lapse in coverage.
    • It is a contract if accepted, but they cannot cancel retroactively, but can notify of us of a future cancellation.
    • Would expect about a 30 day notice.
    • Got 1 offer, and 3 others requested additional information.
    • Should we proceed with additional offers, or wait?
    • Making additional progress would be good so we have offers to choose from.

New Business

  • None???


Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Motion to approve last months minutesNoneNone00PASS
Appoint Paul Lee as a member advocate.MarkPaul F70PASS

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:28
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 12


  1. Jamie Burdeski
  2. Melissa Gilchrist
  3. Matt Carpenter
  4. Mike Fink
  5. Jody Raiford
  6. Paul Frick
  7. David Henry
  8. Jan Henry
  9. Paul Lee
  10. Evan
  11. Mark
  12. Que

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20210608 Board Meeting Minutes 20210810