Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20210810
- 1 Minutes for 08-10-2021
- 2 Meeting Location
- 2.1 Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- 2.2 Officer Reports
- 2.3 Committee Reports
- 2.4 Old Business
- 2.5 New Business
- 3 COWBELL
- 4 Meeting Metrics
Minutes for 08-10-2021
Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:40 by Jamie
Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- Be excellent.
- Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
- Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
- If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
- If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
- Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
Treasurer & Budget
Treasurer's report: https://www.i3detroit.org/wi/images/5/59/2021-07-JulyMonthlyFinancialReport.pdf
|Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc.||($28,236.37)|
|Allocated to Expansion (MEDC)||($32,946.21)|
- Still spending down the grant money. Notes to ZCs will be going out reminding them to get their money spent. We're coming down to the wire. . .
- Expect to have an update in the next week or so.
- Insurance is still getting paid for, so we presumably still have it.
- In general operational spending, we're still about flat. See the operational report for the deets. https://www.i3detroit.org/wi/images/2/21/2021_-07-JulyOperatingIncomeReport.pdf
- There was an issue with the 2018 and 2019 tax filings. For several reasons, the IRS thinks we owe around $8,000 in penalties. We are in talks with the IRS reps to try and get it reduced or eliminated. For now, our best course is to pay it, with the assurance that if and when it is reduced or forgiven they will pay it back, possibly with interest. In the meantime, this will keep any further fines from accruing.
- In 2016 and prior i3 filed a very minimal simple form.
- In 2017 we needed a much more involved process.
- In the process of working on this, we've found that non-profit tax filings work differently, so there have been penalties accruing.
- Have instructions from the IRS after a number of calls and on hold time. They are to pay the existing fines as the collection process is on hold for 9 weeks. We can get an extension if needed.
- The main advantage of paying is that we no longer incur additional interest. If we are refunded all or part, if it wasn't required, then the IRS pays i3 interested on it.
- We should proactively pay any late fee if we think it's close to deadlines, as they will just refund if not needed, and there would be no interest or additionally penalties applied.
- Making notes on process for future treasurers.
- Working to get the board nomination process setup more formally and send out a unique announcement.
- Much work on updated COVID mask policy for next member meeting.
- Would really like to not need to re-write rules for each update.
Senior Vice President
- No update.
VP of Activities & Classes
- Up coming Events Calendar
- Guests are arriving for in person tours when available.
- Other in person events are happening. Turnout is on the lower side, so a slow start.
VP of Membership-Onboarding
Membership changes since last meeting:
- 5 Potential members started Onboarding
- 1 Scholarship renewal
Scholarship fund update:
- 11 Members on scholarship
- $549 Allocated (30% available)
- Average value of $49.91/scholar
- Net change of 0 dues-paying members and 0 scholarship since last meeting
- In-person tours working well
- Each time we get more people
- They have been excitedly waiting for the space to reopen so they could join
- Looking into applying Robotic Process Automation (RPA) tools to automate more of the membership process as a stopgap solution until new CRM is ready
- Does the lack of meetings make the membership process take longer?
- Even when things were all remote, the pace wasn't much different than normal. Could have just been that those that did were motivated.
- Thinking of having periodic social events to make of for the lack of other in-person events.
- Request a special session for discussion of current issues under investigation and process.
- Matt will make a Whenisgood to try and find a time this week or next.
- Our team is getting overwhelmed. Looking into paid commercial options to supplement or replace our custom stuff. If anyone is willing to help with the research, there's a link in the crm channel for where we are working.
- Did not meet. Need to start planning our grand reopening, but the way covid things are going, should we consider thinking about trying to put it off? Are things likely to get better in fall as schools reopen and people start socializing indoors now?
- Have not heard from Sean. May need a new point of contact.
- Reports only expected in July.
- Jan will investigate.
- Jody has someone with EMT training in the process of onboarding that has some suggestions and can help.
- No Updates
Camera Review Review
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
- Something about the IRS, probably something about advocate investigations.
Outstanding action items
- Status of insurance.
- No new quotes
- We still seem to have our existing insurance.
- We do not have any coverage for officers and directors.
- Request by Sewing SIG to confirm/reinstate funds to replace Babylock serger, for the amount of $800. Serger was purchased for $1000 shortly after funds granted, and kept for training, thus reimbursement request was delayed. Further delayed by the pandemic. SIG is now ready to train for authorization, and reimbursement is being requested, so machine can join zone equipment. However -- funds were approved a month before the Board officially allowed equipment purchase budget/reimbursement to rollover. This is not part of the expansion budget. Updates on the machine status were always provided when questioned regarding treasurer matters.
- The money wasn't taken away, but was not given either, just approved.
- Auto Zone
- Budget proposal was posted on slack.
- Frank would like to be a co-coordinator. This was discussed with Brandon about a year ago.
- Would like input from the existing coordinator before deciding.
- Coordinator assistants / helpers do not need board approval.
- The zone sort of exists, but does not have an allocation yet.
- If this is from expansion funds, then this would go to the expansion committee. Additional funding beyond that would need to the board.
- Should set a date to move the HAAS as that will free up a bunch of space.
- Auto zone should probably also exist on the wiki.
- Kiln zone coordinator
- Someone should be appointed to help coordinate the ceramics kiln.
- Rick did offer to help, but he's off on vacation.
- We should open this up to membership.
- Jan will send something out to members and contact Rick.
- We should send out the notice for all of the zones without coordinators.
- Jody and Tom are co-coordinators, so Jody could approve if needed.
- Include glass kiln in the request for coordinators.
Action Item Summary
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Request by Sewing SIG to confirm/reinstate funds to replace Babylock serger, for the amount of $800||Mel||Matt||5||0||PASS|
|Motion to approve last months minutes||None||None||0||0||PASS|
- Time completed: 20:55
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 12
- David Henry
- Melissa Gilchrist
- Matt Carpenter
- Jan Henry
- Jamie Burdeski
- Paul Frick
- Mike Fink
- Paul Lee
- Jody Raiford
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20210713||Board Meeting Minutes 20210914|