Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20220215

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 02-15-2022

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:40 by Jamie


Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

Bank balance $89,121.51
Emergency Fund -$30,000.00
Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc. -$27,363.43
Allocated to Expansion (MEDC) -$29,339.41
Other -$1,000.00
Net $1,418.67
  • Spending on expansion is in progress.
  • Very large water bill due to leaks. Leaking is now fixed. Working on better detection methods. Came out of utilities fund.
  • Member dues seem similar to past.
  • Still no update from the IRS. At least another 60 days.


  • Will need someone to cover note taking for the March 1st meeting.
Action Item: Mel, Mark, Mike - Battle to determine who has the prestigious honor of filling in for the Secretary on March 1st.


  • No updates.

Senior Vice President

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Some discussions about some new form of Maker Faire.
    • Could do something smaller scale. Probably not this year. Should be around i3 / courtyard so we don't need to ship stuff. More like an extended open house.
    • A big one would be good, but we probably wouldn't be able to lead it. There's much work to do and we probably don't have the spoons to do so at this time.
    • Given the challenges of doing smaller things at i3, it would seem much harder to do something very large. We should be focused more on i3.
    • A discussion with Michigan Makers would be good to see if there's enough support to do something like this in the future, but probably not this year. There is a virtual discussion in March.
      Action Item: Matt, Mel - Add Maker Faire discussion to the Michigan Makers Meeting agenda
    • It might make more sense to focus on an open house.
  • Has someone signed up for the next in-person tours next week Friday?
    • Not yet that we've heard? If nobody is willing to commit by next Tuesday, then we can cancel.
  • Action Item: Paul Lee - Schedule a tour training class
  • Should we plant to discuss more class strategy in the board meeting and more what events are out there at the member meeting.
  • There have not been to many events, but the resin workshop was well attended.
  • Future ideas, CNC, Injection molding, Airbrush
  • Pull the results on the "what would you teach" question from member on-boarding.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

  • 9 people started the onboarding process since last meeting
  • 3 of them have advanced into phase 2

Scholarship fund update:

  • 12 Members on scholarship
  • $538 Allocated (25.75% available)
  • Average value of $44.83/scholar
  • New members showing up for tours to finish on-boarding. Only works if the VP of Onboarding is around to activate keys.

Member Advocate

  • Nothing to report this month.
  • Not sure if electrical usage counts. IF so, there was some analysis and there wasn't sign of increased consumption during the time in question.

Committee Reports

Fundraising Committee

Safety & Compliance Committee

  • No update.
    • Reports only expected in July.

Moderation Committee

Old Business

Camera Review Review

  • Camera review done on January 29 during potlock We got a request by the neighbor to our East to check the outside camera in order to see who broke into their building. Mel and Jan reviewed the entire time from Friday night January 21 until Monday January 24 when people started arriving for the CNC move, but it was only the exterior camera by the A side door. We didn't see anything suspicious. Other than members coming in and out, the only thing we saw was that early on Saturday morning, a few personal vehicles drove west past our building, and a few minutes later, what looked like trucks from John's landscaping business drove back out. We saw one pedestrian in that time, but it was someone who was walking west and passed one of those trucks and waved to it as they passed each other, so we're pretty sure all of those people work for John.The only other things we saw on the camera besides them and our members were a single cat walking past and a lot of snow falling. The report was sent to the neighbor by email. Nothing has been heard back.

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Board+Advocate: nothing to report
  • Board:
  • brief discussion about remembering to revisit outstanding business before board meetings.
  • Jan asked if anyone had heard from board member Rick lately. Jamie responded Rick got a new job a while back and wouldn't have much time for i3.
  • Leadership:
  • Discussion seeking input on if/when/where to have member input on dues vs zone box philosophy. Reason offered was observation of activity was not matching donations to cover consumables replacement. An open discussion with members would seek input on solutions. Comment was made that it could just be zone specific, suggested to use zone channel or zone list, in order to avoid generalized messages that could flood channels when we want to encourage participation where we really need it, like tours/expansion/contact. The discussion concluded with some for an open chat and some willing to wait and keep it within the zone.
  • An advocate asked a question about an issue that came up. In Leadership instead of Board+Advocate, in order to get more opinions. Permission from the person with the original issue was sought and obtained before soliciting a larger audience.

Outstanding action items

  • None

New Business

  • None here.


Action Item Summary

Action ItemPOC
Battle to determine who has the prestigious honor of filling in for the Secretary on March 1st.Mel, Mark, Mike
Add Maker Faire discussion to the Michigan Makers Meeting agendaMatt, Mel
Schedule a tour training classPaul Lee

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:43
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 11


  1. Jamie
  2. Evan
  3. Mel
  4. Mike
  5. Matt
  6. Mark
  7. Jan
  8. David
  9. Paul A
  10. Drew
  11. Paul Lee

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20220118 Board Meeting Minutes 20220315