Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20240618

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 2024-06-18

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:34 by Mara

i3 Detroit 1481A Wordsworth St. Ferndale, MI 48220



Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

Treasurer's report: https://www.i3detroit.org/something

Bank balance $
Emergency Fund ($)
Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc. ($)
Allocated to Expansion (MEDC) ($)
Net $
  • Working on data reports.
  • Reimbursements for submitted forms are being handled by Roger. Poke #ask the treas in slack if needed.
  • Meeting with a CRM vendor for replacement after this meeting.


  • No report. Need a secretary


  • No report

Senior Vice President

  • Need to fill.

VP of Membership

  • As I was unable to attend last months board meeting to provide an update I will be covering the May and June updates as part of this months meeting
    • In May we saw 4 new people complete the Phase 1 process and 7 completing Phase 2 to join as members. We also had two members on hiatus come back to full membership during this period.
    • For June we had bigger growth overall with 13 new members completing Phase 1 and 7 moving to complete Phase 2. We continue to work to get the remaining 5 who completed phase 2 but haven't done their final memberfication to attend a weekly memberfication meeting. June didn't see any members coming back from hiatus but unfortunately did see one person move to hiatus. Currently, we're sitting at 210 active member accounts in the CRM.
    • A few months ago I raised an issue with a large number of members who were building a growing balance with dues payments not appearing to be coming in. While some portion of this is expected to be true, the Treasury team suspects that at least in some cases it's not accurate. They are investigating this.

VP of Activities & Classes

  • N/A

Member Advocate

  • Board is aware of ongoing issues under investigation.

Pulse Check

  • This is a reminder to check if any officer provided no report in three consecutive board meetings. If so, at this point in the Board meeting, we add an item to the subsequent Member Meeting agenda, to call for nominations or volunteers for the Board to appoint to that office at next month's Board meeting.
    • Was raised by a member. Should offices and coordinators be engaged in the process and provide updates.
    • How does this work for places with no issues and very little activity?
    • It should be reasonable to indicate there are no updates.
    • There was often an annual check for officers and coordinators.
    • This isn't currently planned for coordinators.
    • The intent isn't to push out those that are still active, but to handle the case where people have left without notice.

Committee Reports

Fundraising Committee

  • No update, check with Alicia or Matt.
  • Program for work to donate to it.
  • Mention Kroger.
  • Sending out gifts for MEDC. Some things haven't happened, and the last volunteer isn't around. There is a list of who has what stuff, and some stuff exists. Mara can assist if someone is willing to manage the process.
Action Item: Mel - Send out a note about the Kroger Program

Safety & Compliance Committee

  • No update.
  • Reports only expected in July.

Moderation Committee

  • Asterisk voicemail-bot got caught in spam. Released it. Keeping an eye on that.
  • Otherwise nothing significant to report.

Old Business

Prior Minutes

  • Motion:
    Motion to approve Mark and April board meeting minutes
    Moved by None; Seconded by None
    7 Ayes / 0 Nays
    Result: PASS
Action Item: Board - Approve May and June meeting minutes in July meeting

Camera Review Review

  • A side entrance for June 10th ish
    • Handling of parking ticketed items.
    • How does this process work for things that are not in lost and found.
    • Standing rules are not fully aligned with the parking ticket.
    • Lost and found should be for ticketed items in the grace period that moves them out of the way before they go to the graveyard.
    • Items were moved to the graveyard to
    • This needs improvement in process, but would require a member discussion and updates to the standing rules.
    • If it's only the board that can move expired items, then there needs to happen more frequently.
  • Should we reorganize the storage of items in the mezzanines between A and B side. Might be easier to have more frequently used items on B side.
    • Do we need a larger and more prominent lost and found area?
    • Better signage and description of process would help.
    • Lost and found shouldn't be over shoulder height, so putting it above vending isn't that viable.
  • Welding/machine shop from June 8-9 to cover debris left on tools.
    • Adding signage to doors to remind everyone if they've cleaned up the messes.
    • We should probably clear out old signage so it's obviously what's new so it's noticed.
Action Item: Evan - Clear out outdated signage

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • All were related to disciplinary items.

Outstanding action items

  • Jan - Add proposal for Commons coordinator.
  • Action item. Pick a place for lost and found.

New Business

  • Please note that if you add something that requires a board vote, you must also email board@i3detroit.org at least 7 days before the board meeting to notify them of the upcoming vote

Commons Coordinator

I guess this was brought up last month, calling that notice

Define Commons Area as the following: Loading Bay, A-side lounge, A-side treehouse and Traditional "Commons" area bounded north-south by Cinder block wall of the classroom to E-Lab and east-west by Treehouse/Media Lab to Craft Room
Moved by Mel, Seconded by Frank
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

I guess this was brought up last month, calling that notice

Make Emerson C commons coordinator.
Moved by Jan, Seconded by Mel
7 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Change Number of Board Members

mtfuran brought this up at a prior board meeting but it didn't get discussed, if there is still time today we can talk about it

Should we have a policy around alcohol consumption

  • If so it would be a standing rule change
  • See HOWTO_Keep_i3_Safe for thoughts and ideas about this and other things
  • This probably isn't a rule problem and rules are unlikely to resolve issues. It's a behavioral issue.
  • How to do this without adding too many explicit rules but insuring we're all both being safe and excellent?


Action Item Summary

Action ItemPOC
Clear out outdated signageEvan
Approve May and June meeting minutes in July meetingBoard
Send out a note about the Kroger ProgramMel

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Make Emerson C commons coordinator.JanMel70PASS
Define Commons Area as the following: Loading Bay, A-side lounge, A-side treehouse and Traditional "Commons" area bounded north-south by Cinder block wall of the classroom to E-Lab and east-west by Treehouse/Media Lab to Craft RoomMelFrank70PASS

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:34
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 17


  1. Matt A
  2. Evan A
  3. Dave H
  4. Mara F
  5. Brian B
  6. David H
  7. Mel G
  8. Matt H
  9. Alex T
  10. Jan H
  11. Jody R
  12. Brian? Guest
  13. Isaiah B
  14. Osama N
  15. Tim C
  16. Drew L
  17. John Montgomory

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20240521 Board Meeting Minutes 20240716