Minutes:Fundraising Committee Meeting Minutes 20190702

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda for Fundraising Committee 07-02-2019

Chair: Mel

Old Business

  • Move Steve's research files to a more accessible file share
    • Currently on a shared google drive - should also update the information to the wiki
    • Mel moved them to a fundraising file share (Google Team drive)
    • Files are still on HARDAC and the Wiki so non-committee people can see them
  • Update from Vivian & Leora on grant writing class
    • Vivian is trying to get in touch with Leora so they can arrange to attend one of the class sessions together
  • Update from Vivian on Vision Statement
    • Viivian plans to have a draft ready to share the Thursday before Maker Faire
  • Update from Mel on MEDC campaign
    • Starts on Monday, 8 July!
    • Got all the raw pieces for the campaign website, just need to get it put together.
    • Need continued help getting the word out on social media.
      • Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram - Check with Joseph and Charlie, anyone else?
    • Have our round of incentives picked out, pictures for the "before" section on B-side and have pictures of people working on B-side to upload
    • Will take and upload video as we work on B-side progresses
    • When the Patronocity goes live http://www.i3detroit.org/grant will redirect to the campaign page rather than the wiki
    • Even if we don't meet the target we get to keep the money we raised just don't get the matching

New Business

New Business

  • New Grant Possibilities
    • Network for Good grant - Facebook partnered with Network for Good to let people raise money for their favorite nonprofits through the site - They (N4G) invited us to apply for a grant worth up to $25k
    • Ford Foundation - Voitek found a Ford Fund person who is really excited to work with us and possibly make some donations
      • Looking into if there are any strings attached to this grant, if not it would be a great way to get $10k+
  • Gift Certificates for memberships?
    • Allowing members to put their dues into the fundraising campaign - How would we do this without non-members expecting to be able to get one of these and automatically be a member?
    • Can we use these certificates for Eventbrite classes in addition to covering membership costs?
  • Policies on Corporate Sponsorships
    • Can be used in MEDC campaign?
    • What are the limitations for corporate sponsorship? How long will any advertising last? Right now we don't have an official policy
    • Need to make sure that we are able to maintain whatever we say we're going to do - Don't want future people to not know they need to maintain these plaques etc. and accidentally break a commitment
    • Do we want different levels at the zone vs. space level? Will this be confusing for donors?
    • We need to find a happy medium between the sign being prominent and not being obtrusive enough to trigger the membership
    • Paul: To get your name on a piece of equipment you should have donated at least half the value of the machine, set $ amounts are on the "wall of donors"
    • $1k lower limit for the "wall of donors" website logos are limited to 1 year
    • $1k-2k, 2-5, 5-10, 10-20, 20-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-500
    • Physical recognition is on wall or machine, digital for one year included as well
    • Recognition needs to happen right away - social media, thank you note, members using tool that gets donated sign the thank you
    • Action Item: Katie - Write up a draft for donor thank-you notes
  • Katie wants to apply for an art grant for the ceramics zone from the National Ceramics ???
    • She wants to fund a new wheel, needs to report progress after six months - looking for $1k
  • Paul says Walmart store managers get $$$ to donate to local nonprofits - we should get people to talk to the managers
    • Action Item: Paul - Send email to member list asking people to get in touch with the committee if they are Walmart regulars and would like to speak to their local manager about donating to us
  • Can we get some volunteers to build barometers to put up all over the space showing our progress to the funding goal? Analog ones with the plotter? Dot matrices for digital versions?
Proposal:
Apply for Network for Good grant
Moved by Mel; Seconded by Paul
4 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS
Proposal:
Apply for Ford Fund grant
Moved by Mel; Seconded by Paul
4 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS
Proposal:
Approve Katie to apply for the ceramics grant
Moved by Mel; Seconded by Paul
4 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Action Items

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 19:22
  • Attendees:
  1. Mel
  2. Vivian
  3. Paul
  4. Steve
  5. Katie
  6. Matt

Action Item Summary

Action ItemPOC
Send email to member list asking people to get in touch with the committee if they are Walmart regulars and would like to speak to their local manager about donating to usPaul
Write up a draft for donor thank-you notesKatie

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Approve Katie to apply for the ceramics grantMelPaul40PASS
Apply for Ford Fund grantMelPaul40PASS
Apply for Network for Good grantMelPaul40PASS