Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20151020

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20151006 Meeting Minutes 20151103

Agenda for 10-20-2015


  • Mike Fink
  • Called to order at 7:31 pm.


Experienced Members

  • Mike F - Board, laser zone, engineering and physics. plastic wood, metal, whatever.
  • Cory - recent member, in and out for 4 months, always changing direction.

New Members & Guests

  • Claire designer social impact design. art / design projects. learning cnc.
  • Liz - embroidery
  • Connor - Machining working on old motorcycle. Working on electronics.
  • Colin Martin - Utah state, BS in Mechanical Engineering and BA in German interested in woodworking looking for place to hang out and work on projects.
  • Dan EE interested in woodworking and electronics.

Show and Tell

  • Steve: cast acrylic rose made on CNC 5.75" z travel axis.
  • Mike leather armor, light up backlight
  • Cory - going to modify a hair trimmer for 3" length

Old Business

  • Charlie: new board introductions
  • Vivian not present
  • James O'Dell VP of classes and activities - what do you want to learn or teach? documented on blog or wiki.
  • Matt Arnold - member advocate, classroom coordinator. i3 is a welcoming place, confidential reporting.
  • Terry W - treasurer.
  • Nate B - VP membership onboarding and retention. process improvement and mentor assignment.
  • David H - secretary.
  • Gary: Mini maker fair and Barnes and Noble @ Rochester November also looking for cool stuff for table at TedX at OU on Friday. Fun event, looking for volunteers. 7:30am - 2pm..

New Business

Graveyard Warden

Point of Contact: Jon Williams

  • I'd like to recommend that the Graveyard be given a warden to keep things in check. I'm willing to step up to the task of keeping it organized and adding a bit of flow to the zone.
  • I'd like to make sure that items being added aren't already in abundance.
  • Items are being dated properly and disposed of once they hit the expiration date.
  • Possibly re-purpose the top shelf for storage of items yet TBD. It's too high up for anyone to realistically use for it's current graveyard purpose.
  • Not much really needs to change but, I think with a few minor improvements the zone could be a lot more functional. Add bins and some hooks to keep things from being loose in the zone hang the wires on hooks. Things like that. And LABELS!! LABELS LABELS LABELS!!!

Zone updates

Bike Zone

  • No Coordinator - Justin on hiatus


  • Matt A: plans dependent on structural construction.
  • celling down.
  • electrical work required
  • adding whiteboard on wall.
  • small 18" tables, can be combined to form a big table.
  • big TV once budget exists
  • planning committee
  • looking for - floor tile
  • improved soundproofing / light proofing via a flame / light retardant curtain.

CNC Zone

  • Training in CNC fall session start tomorrow @ 7pm.

Compute Zone

  • No Coordinator - Justin on hiatus

Craft Room

  • Kevin: sewing may be split out into a new zone.
  • not much general crafting done in the room.

E Lab

  • Nate B: carpet cleaning during potluck

Fab Lab

  • Not much going on during construction. training course on Thursday for ?


  • Evan: coordinating for classroom and wherever the sewing machine ends up.
  • work done for power and wiring for camera system.
  • stay tuned at the next member meeting for a proposal on new camera policy. If interested, it's on slack.

Injection Molding

  • Evan reports that Thad has mold almost done for the small injection molder.
  • Big injection molder went to a workshop - needs new seals. Also shows signs of hammer abuse. New seals are in, will try a test run to see how it works in the near future.

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kiln Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • Mike F: Expect an update soon on bumblebee - working, working properly, vs needs works
  • Laser storage has been cleaned up

Metal Shop

  • n/a

Sky Zone

  • Evan and Matt G installed new lights that were found around the space.
  • 8 amps of LED goodness over CNC area.
  • Plan to replace additional lights with LEDs in areas.

Tool Crib

  • is looking for coordinator

Tree House

  • Halloween tree for party.
  • new spool table

Vinyl Zone

  • No coordinator

Welding Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • Greg - many new members, not many have been trained yet. Check with Greg for training, only takes a few minutes.

Space Project Updates


i3 MotorSports

  • #3 Car needs new tires mounted


  • Matt n/a


  • n/a


Detroit Sat

  • Investigating NASA Cubequest competition goals and working on design. Plan to enter competition if scheduling allows. Secondary goal is just to build a Cubesat.


8:06 pm

Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed:
  • Funds appropriated:
  • Attendees:

Action Items

no action items yet, Charlie.


no proposals yet, Charlie.


  1. Charlie Rysenga
  2. Jamie Burdeski
  3. David Henry
  4. Greg Smith
  5. Evan Allen
  6. Matt Arnold
  7. Matt Huber
  8. Amelia Meyer
  9. James O'Dell
  10. Corey Tebo
  11. Matt Gardeski
  12. Jan Henry
  13. Kevin Flory
  14. Nate B
  15. Mike Fink
  16. Connor Sprague
  17. Scott Scheraga
  18. R Frick
  19. David Scholl
  20. Brandon Biller
  21. Jim Williams
  22. Gary Morin