Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20160216

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search


Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20160202 Meeting Minutes 20160301

Agenda for 02-16-2016

'Chair: Charlie Rysenga 7:32pm'


Introductions

Experienced Members

  • Greg S. Wood shop co-coordinator.
  • Scott S. Member for a year and just used the laser cutter last week. Working on a cube sat.
  • Arther - Bike zone coordinator. Welding, woodworking and bikes.
  • Vivian S. - VP
  • Charlie - President

New Members & Guests

  • Ethan - Joining as a new member. Looking forward to breaking and fixing things. Woodworking and 3d printing and laser cutting and all the other things.
  • Steve - Jeweler. Looking to learn other things. Mill work welding laser cutting and meeting new faces.
  • Jacob - Sr in HS. Looking to use a CNC router for project. Builds computers.
  • Brian - Wood shop and other.
  • Les - Open source developer. Working on electronics projects and woodworking to build a bar

Show and Tell

  • Scott - 3 axis magnetic coil used to test out the satellite. Satellites use small magnetic fields to push against the earths field to adjust orientation.
  • Kevin - Quill pens.

Old Business

Knitting Workshop

Hosted by Jamie Burdeski, is this Wednesday from 7-9PM

Security Camera Project Update

POC: Mike

Membership Strike Force

POC:Charlie?

Next meeting is this Sunday Feb 21st, 5-8 PM. This meeting will be a combination of membership and scholarship discussion. Open to everyone, especially new members and people who have received scholarships. Anyone can also join in the electronic discussions, which have been happening on Slack, in the channels #guest-policy and #member-involvement

New Business

CCTV Policy

CCTV Policy Update

POC: Jamie Burdeski
Discussion

Jamie: As some of you may know, the new camera system is very nearly completely up and running, and so I've been thinking about the CCTV policy, and looking over the CCTV section in the standing rules to see how it works and if it could work better.

Discussion: Is the board allowed to also add or remove camera locations.

I would like to make 2 proposals: A) Don't change any content of the CCTV policy. but change the wording and organization of the section so it's easier to read, and remove some of the initial execution aspects of the CCTV system that really don't need to be in the standing rules from here until eternity.

References for Proposal A


B) In addition to the changes in Proposal A, replace the 4-person viewing team with the Board of Directors. My reasoning for this is:

  • Keeping track of the 4-person team is inconvenient and historically has not worked well. Case in point: we don't actually have any reviewers right now that are confirmed
  • Adding another type of position in addition to the board, officers, and zone coordinators is just adding unnecessary complexity to the organizational structure of i3. It makes more sense to tie the duties of reviewing camera footage into existing leadership positions.
  • The Board should inherently be the body that the membership trusts the most, since the Board is elected by the membership, so there should be no need to complicate the process (referring to the OLD policy of 2 membership-appointed reviews + 2-board appointed reviewers)
  • The decision of whether or not to review camera footage is in line with other duties of the Board - in general, resolving member disputes, and ensuring the safety and well-being of everyone in the space.

References for Proposal B

Proposals

Proposal A

Whereas the wording and organization of the CCTV section could be easier to read, and the section contains initial execution aspects of the CCTV system that shouldn't be in the standing rules,

We propose to change the CCTV Section in the Standing Rules to the Following:

  1. The Point of Contact for the CCTV System will be the Zone Coordinator of the Infrastructure Zone, who will handle
    • Requests to view real-time camera streaming
    • Requests to view historical CCTV footage
    • Complaints/suggestions about the CCTV system at i3
    • Requests to re-position cameras
    • Other issues of technical implementation
  2. Storage of footage
    • The past 60 days of footage will be stored
    • Specific footage may be saved for an indefinite period of time as needed for investigation purposes.
  3. Camera location and positioning
    • The current approved list of camera locations is available on the wiki
    • A camera location can be added or removed from the current list by a majority vote of the General Membership.
    • Zone Coordinators can position the viewing angle of cameras in their zone.
  4. Real-time camera access
    • Any member may, with instruction by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator, gain a real time, on demand image of the view of any camera in the CCTV system.
    • Viewing will be done at the CCTV master workstation, or other workstations as designated by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator.
  5. Request to view historical footage
    • A member (or members) may request to view historical video by contacting the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator
    • Footage may be viewed when approved by and accompanied by two members from the 4 member Viewing Team
    • An approved request will be posted to the mailing list by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator, including the requesting member(s) and specifics of the footage requested.
    • Any viewed historical video will be specially saved for at least 180 days. Information from the viewing will be distributed to appropriate members as deemed necessary by the requesting member(s) only.
  6. Viewing team
    • The viewing team will consist of 4 members
    • The members of the viewing team will be listed on the wiki
    • Any vacancies will be filled by nominees of the Infrastructure Warden and confirmed by a majority vote of the General Membership.
    • Any viewing team member may resign at any time.
    • Any viewing team member going on Hiatus or exiting i3 Detroit will be removed from the Viewing Team.
  7. There is no special physical security measures of the CCTV system required by this policy.
  8. No offsite access will be allowed to the CCTV system, nor will any multi­day camera be installed at the i3 site without being part of and covered by the rules of this CCTV policy.


Proposal B


Proposal:

Whereas the wording and organization of the CCTV section could be easier to read, and the section contains initial execution aspects of the CCTV system that shouldn't be in the standing rules,

And whereas keeping track of the 4-person team is inconvenient and historically has not worked well,

And whereas adding another type of position in addition to the board, officers, and zone coordinators is just adding unnecessary complexity to the organizational structure of i3,

And whereas the Board should inherently be the body that the membership trusts the most, since the Board is elected by the membership,

And whereas the decision of whether or not to review camera footage is in line with other duties of the Board, such as resolving member disputes, and ensuring the safety and well-being of everyone in the space,

We propose to change the CCTV Section in the Standing Rules to the Following:


  1. The Technical Point of Contact for the CCTV System will be the Zone Coordinator of the Infrastructure Zone, who will handle
    • Requests to view real-time camera streaming
    • Complaints/suggestions about the CCTV system at i3
    • Requests to re-position cameras
    • Other issues of technical implementation
  2. Storage of footage
    • The past 60 days of footage will be stored
    • Specific footage may be saved for an indefinite period of time as needed for investigation purposes.
  3. Camera location and positioning
    • The current approved list of camera locations is available on the wiki
    • A camera location can be added or removed from the current list by a majority vote of the General Membership.
    • Zone Coordinators can position the viewing angle of cameras in their zone.
  4. Real-time camera access
    • Any member may, with instruction by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator, gain a real time, on demand image of the view of any camera in the CCTV system.
    • Viewing will be done at the CCTV master workstation, or other workstations as designated by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator.
  5. Request to view historical footage
    • A member (or members) may request to view historical video by contacting the Board of Directors
    • Footage may be viewed when approved by and accompanied by two members from the Board of Directors
    • An approved request will be posted to the mailing list by the Board of Directors, including the requesting member(s) and specifics of the footage requested.
    • Any viewed historical video will be specially saved for at least 180 days. Information from the viewing will be distributed to appropriate members as deemed necessary by the requesting member(s) only.
  6. There is no special physical security measures of the CCTV system required by this policy.
  7. No offsite access will be allowed to the CCTV system, nor will any multi­day camera be installed at the i3 site without being part of and covered by the rules of this CCTV policy.


Moved by Jamie; Seconded by Evan
21 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Elect 4 CCTV Viewers

- Terry W : Noted that this is no longer required with the new camera policy just approved.

Additional Cameras

POC Mike


Proposal:

Add additional cameral locations:


Moved by Mike Fink; Seconded by Matt Huber
21 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Announcements

  • Please add stuff to the blog.
  • Thursday board game nights will continue.
  • Pot lock is this weekend on Saturday. Great opportunity for new members to learn the space, meet other members and pitch in.

Recently approved i3 Training Stimulus Proposal

Contact

  • James O'Dell
  • training@i3detroit.org
  • classes@i3detroit.org

Last week the board passed a proposal to promote more training at i3.

Starting March 1st, any member that teaches a public class will have a half a month's dues refunded. This proposal will be a three month trial during March, April, May. The VP of Classes/Activities will make a proposal status report to the board meetings monthly.

Proposal conditions:

  • A member will receive half a month’s dues refunded for each class or workshop taught.
  • The class must be open to the public.
  • Class can be free or fee based.
  • Maximum of two refunds per month for each member.
  • All classes will be coordinated through VP of Classes/Activities (training@i3detroit.org).
  • Limit of 10 refunds per month.

Goals:

  • Encourage new and different i3 members to host classes.
  • Increase public education awareness of i3.
  • Encourage new members by introducing them to i3.
  • Show new members more of what benefits i3 offers.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • Recent class.
  • Order recently placed for bicycle specific tools. Should be in next week. Look forward to bike construction and deconstruction.

Classroom

  • Drywall is UP. Electrical works. Lights are IN. Tables are DELIVERED. We are in the process of mud/sand drywall. Next comes paint. Glen is doing the mud/sand and he is laid up with a cold for a few days. Work to continue soon. If you want to use the classroom in the interim, please reserve on the SLACK channel. Anybody who wants to help, please sweep,mop classroom floor. Thanks. TerryW


CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • Commons area is still here and exists.

Compute Zone

  • All equipment is working.
  • Instead of scheduling orientation sessions, I will be available before and after member meetings in case people have questions. Also, I can be reached on Slack, email and phone (see my user page).
  • I will offer a class in Flask (a Python web framework) in March (date and time TBD).

Craft Room

  • n/a

Electronics Lab

  • Thank you whoever's been taking care of the floor!
  • No thank you to all the junk strewn about the benches. Seriously.
  • The ZC is not aware of any equipment downtime, if something is broken, please email!

Fab Lab

  • n/a

Graveyard

  • Will plan to clean it out during pot lock.

Infrastructure

  • Pot lock is coming soon, there's lots of little tasks to do.
  • Cameras had a hiccup, Mike is working on it

Injection Molding

  • Two orientations were well attended. Software and design & build ideas were presented and questions discussed. A demo of the injection molding machine was given. Half the people had a general interest and the other half had projects in mind. Some people expressed interest in joining i3.
  • The past month has involved the orientations and two mold try outs on the small machine.
  • Both the small and large machine are worth keeping for now.
  • The company, Suburban Tool, we bought the chiller from makes online videos of machining for YouTube and would like to make a video of i3 for their "field trip" segment. They manufacture and sell precision ground gaging tooling. I passed on the info to Charlie and he is pursuing it with them.
  • Will plan to hold the injection molding workshops on a monthly basis.

Thad Johnson Injection Molding Zone Coordinator

Jewelry Zone

  • Plan to install rolling mill at pot lock
  • Now have a borrowed motor dedicated to jewelry polishing. Trying to find a place to put it. It may move to the metal shop.

Kiln Zone

  • Planning on total kiln zone reorganization and clean out at Saturday's pot lock. Will need at least a few people to get it done. All help appreciated.
  • Working on date to pick up new glass kiln from the factory. Let Leora know if you are interested in the one day road trip (still working on getting a factory tour).

Laser Zone

  • Bumblebee has a new lens. It's the same lens that's in Wolverine. No major difference in cutting performance is expected.
  • Use the neon color focus gauges that say Wolverine.

Machine Shop

  • Sander training went well.
  • Small hole in sander belt. Will need replacement.
  • Pursuing new tools. In discussions about a band saw.

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sky Zone

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • Waiting until Terry has time to work on the tool crib.

Tree House

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • Vinyl zone class (vinyl cutter + heat press) scheduled on 2/23/2016.
  • Both shirt heat press and mug press are running.
  • Plan on buying more shiny heat transfer vinyl material.

Welding Zine

  • All machines functional.
  • At least three projects were worked on! (Anybody else didn't talk about it)
  • Still looking for teachers...
  • Seriously, stop putting the TIG gun together wrong! PLEASE ask for help if you are at all unsure!
  • Smile for the camera! Thanks Mike!

Wiki

  • At the last wiki wine workshop, we worked on auto-generated tables of equipment
    • Category:Equipment has the master table.
    • Each zone page now has an auto-generated table of equipment in their zone.
  • Brian McPherson is working on making a wikibot to automate creation of meeting pages.

Wood Shop

  • Wood Zone Open Shop on Monday Feb 22, bring projects demo will include new Router Lift mechanism
  • Come at 6:45 for table saw authorization.

Space Project Updates

  • n/a

SIGs

i3 DetroitSat

  • Working on acquiring an inertial measuring unit.

i3 MotorSports

  • Jeremy Boyd (PPPRS organizer and friend to i3) as made a request to have the #3 Jeep (as the oldest competiting vehicle) appear at more makerfaires across the country as possible. I think this is a good idea and am inclined to let it happen. Would like membership thoughts on this as well.

Original request:

With the 2016 PPPRS season in shape to begin this May in San Mateo, I've had a bit of a thought. The Jeep, I believe, is turning six this year. That makes it the oldest competing power wheel, which is really quite special. I would like, with your permission, to see it race at as many Maker Faires as possible this year. And with San Mateo scheduled for the 20-22 of May, I need to start thinking about logistics. Would you be alright with my taking the jeep along with all the other power wheels things out to San Mateo and racing it there? I would be more than happy to perform any brake/throttle/chassis repairs and maintenance necessary to make that happen. I just want to see the thing race in good trim at more events.

HAM

  • Livonia ARC Swap and Shop
    • Sunday, February 21st, 8a-12p
    • Civic Park Seniors Center - 15218 Farmington Road; Livonia, Michigan (on the SE corner of Farmington Road and 5 Mile Road)

Letterpress

  • Letterpress is operational.
  • Charlie is working on laser engraving blocks for the letter press.

Sewing

  • Looking for ideas for classes or workshops.
  • What do people want to learn? Is anyone willing to teach classes.

Scholarship

  • Meeting to discuss both membership sign-up and the scholarship program is this Sunday, February 21st, 5-8pm.

COWBELL

Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:25 pm
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 26

Action Items

No action items.

Proposals

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Add additional cameral locations: Mike FinkMatt Huber210PASS
Whereas the wording and organization of the CCTV section could be easier to read, and the section contains initial execution aspects of the CCTV system that shouldn't be in the standing rules,

And whereas keeping track of the 4-person team is inconvenient and historically has not worked well,

And whereas adding another type of position in addition to the board, officers, and zone coordinators is just adding unnecessary complexity to the organizational structure of i3,

And whereas the Board should inherently be the body that the membership trusts the most, since the Board is elected by the membership,

And whereas the decision of whether or not to review camera footage is in line with other duties of the Board, such as resolving member disputes, and ensuring the safety and well-being of everyone in the space,

We propose to change the CCTV Section in the Standing Rules to the Following:


  1. The Technical Point of Contact for the CCTV System will be the Zone Coordinator of the Infrastructure Zone, who will handle
    • Requests to view real-time camera streaming
    • Complaints/suggestions about the CCTV system at i3
    • Requests to re-position cameras
    • Other issues of technical implementation
  2. Storage of footage
    • The past 60 days of footage will be stored
    • Specific footage may be saved for an indefinite period of time as needed for investigation purposes.
  3. Camera location and positioning
    • The current approved list of camera locations is available on the wiki
    • A camera location can be added or removed from the current list by a majority vote of the General Membership.
    • Zone Coordinators can position the viewing angle of cameras in their zone.
  4. Real-time camera access
    • Any member may, with instruction by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator, gain a real time, on demand image of the view of any camera in the CCTV system.
    • Viewing will be done at the CCTV master workstation, or other workstations as designated by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator.
  5. Request to view historical footage
    • A member (or members) may request to view historical video by contacting the Board of Directors
    • Footage may be viewed when approved by and accompanied by two members from the Board of Directors
    • An approved request will be posted to the mailing list by the Board of Directors, including the requesting member(s) and specifics of the footage requested.
    • Any viewed historical video will be specially saved for at least 180 days. Information from the viewing will be distributed to appropriate members as deemed necessary by the requesting member(s) only.
  6. There is no special physical security measures of the CCTV system required by this policy.
  7. No offsite access will be allowed to the CCTV system, nor will any multiday camera be installed at the i3 site without being part of and covered by the rules of this CCTV policy.
JamieEvan210PASS

Attendance

  1. Evan Allen
  2. Steve Arcangeli
  3. Matt Arnold
  4. Alec Beardsley
  5. Nathaniel Bezanson
  6. Brandon Biller
  7. Arthur Bledsoe
  8. Jamie Burdeski
  9. Michael Fink
  10. Kevin Flory
  11. Matthew Gardeski
  12. Amy Hang
  13. David Henry
  14. Jan Henry
  15. Matt Huber
  16. Amelia Meyer
  17. James O'Dell
  18. Ethan Piliavin
  19. Charlie Rysenga
  20. Scott Scheraga
  21. David Scholl
  22. Jacob Scholl
  23. Roger Slykhouse
  24. Greg Smith
  25. Corey Tebo
  26. Bruce Webber