Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20160503

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20160419 Meeting Minutes 20160517

Agenda for 05-03-2016

'Chair: Charlie Rysenga' 7:30pm


Experienced Members

  • n/a

New Members & Guests

  • Max - Engineer @ Ford. Checking i3 out.
  • Andrew - Computers, welding, woodworking.
  • Mike - 4 Years in China at workshop of the world. Vising for the 2nd time. Interested in learning more.
  • Jonathan - From NC
  • JD - With Hazel Park Radio Club, Woodworking and historical. Was a blacksmith. Working on stage 2 of the membership journey.

Show and Tell

  • Matt - Hand wheel sealer. Might make some blimps or others stuff.`
  • Steve S - CNC dino "stuff".

Old Business


Next meeting to discuss planning is on Saturday 5/7 at 2:30 pm.

We will be doing our own signup. Don't register through the "Call for Makers."

  • This gives us the ability to better plan the layout of the tent and do placards.
  • We are working on a submission process. Hold on for more instructions.

We have been asked by The Henry Ford to run the Learn to Solder event.

  • Charlie needs help to run this.
  • They did 1600 kits last year.
  • This is a great fundraising opportunity for us!

Past Action Items

  • Paint "No Auto Work" in the loading bay - Mike
    • Done

New Business


  • n/a


  • Virtual Reality slack channel, meetup Friday at i3 to play with a HTC Vive. -SWiT
  • Fabric design class this Friday.
  • Home brew demo 4 / 15 [minimum] sold. Registration on Eventbrite by next Thursday so this class will run.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • The HAAS is back from the dead.
    • A lot of work was put into getting the machine up and running again.
    • The ground fault error was fixed by i3 members rebuilding the Y-Axis motor.
    • HAAS service was brought in to help repair the automatic oiling system.
      • 15 brass metering valves were replaced. Very difficult to replace these valves.
  • HAAS CNC Class
    • The spring CNC class will start on Wednesday, May 18th at 7pm.
      • Class continue to meet every Wednesday evening for six to eight weeks.
    • Two Orientation sessions will be held on the 5th and 11th of May at 7pm.
  • Good to have the HAAS back!

Commons Area

  • n/a

Compute Zone

  • Everything is working, except possibly the plotter. The next time Bruce Webber is in the space he will do some testing.

Craft Room

  • No news.

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • n/a


  • n/a


  • New outlets (GFCI) installed in the kiln zone for wet work, be aware there is now yet another breaker that will trip in the chain when diagnosing problems
  • Parts to make the TIG portable are in, that should be a weekend project.

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kiln Zone

  • Small glass fusing kiln is hard wired, small amount of work necessary to bring completely online.
    • Nothing caught fire during the test run :)
  • New wet tile saw was donated.

Laser Zone

  • Both lasers are working well.
  • New timer on bumblebee is still being tested and refined.

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sky Zone

  • Nada

Tool Crib

  • The metal shelves that currently hold power tools are going to be either made taller or replaced with taller shelves.
  • We would ask that any personally (member, former member, or other) owned tools be added to a list on out zone wiki page with a clear and unambiguous description of the tool(s) and the name of the owner.
    • A good faith effort will be made to locate any markings on the tools when we inventory them, but markings become unreadable over time, if you want to be sure about yours please update the wiki.
    • We are going to be sending out an e-mail to -announce about this with approximately a two week timeline before we start taking inventory, organization, and purge/purchase decisions.

Tree House

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • Huge thanks for EVERYONE help with Penguicon Hackerspace, especially volunteers (Vivian, Nate W, Brad, Nikki) for helping making staff shirt and James O and his buddy Chris for supporting the DIY t-shirt session during the whole weekend.
  • Thanks to Frank for fixing the Chronic clock and representing i3 booth. Penguicon people said the Hackerspace this year is better than any of the previous years and i3's involvement was very much appreciated.
  • Everything in vinyl zone is working fine. We are thinking making a short video showing how to use all tools and equipment in vinyl zone to answer people's frequent asked questions some time this year.
  • I (Yajie) may disappear for a bit for the next two weeks due to vacation. Don't miss me too much :P

Welding Zone

  • All functions functioning.
  • Zone messy, but what's new?


  • Help create an i3Detroit page on Wikipedia - draft page has been created here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pajamapuma/sandbox/i3Detroit
    • It's in a sandbox, so no wikipedia admins will be looking at it right now.
    • When it's ready, Jamie will submit it as a real page.
    • If it's approved, it'll get moved into the real wikipedia with all its history intact, so if you help edit it in the sandbox, your contributions will be credited on the real page.
  • Wiki Stats
    • 25 active users in the last 30 days
    • Most active user: Mike Fink (19 edits)
    • New users: DanaNelson, JMiller, JBricker


Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates


i3 DetroitSat

  • Presented early AM on Saturday at Penguicon.

i3 MotorSports

  • #3 Jeep is in Chigago being prepped for it's national tour.


  • Dayton Hamvention is may 20-22


  • n/a


  • The sewing SIG will be seeing some action very soon.
  • 3 events set: class to help prepare files for digital fabric printing on May 6
  • The first monthly meet up on May 11
  • First Project Runway showing on May 15. Project Runway will be weekly.
  • Please join the discussion on the Facebook group.
  • Events are listed on i3 calendar, class on Eventbrite.
  • Group link on the wiki.


  • n/a


Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:00 pm
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 22

Action Items

No action items.


No proposals.


  1. Evan Allen
  2. Joseph Baumann
  3. Alec Beardsley
  4. Jamie Burdeski
  5. Andrea Cozart-Lundin
  6. Sean Denny
  7. Michael Fink
  8. Matthew Gardeski
  9. David Henry
  10. Jan Henry
  11. Stephen Nowicki
  12. James O'Dell
  13. Daniel Pawlak
  14. Charlie Rysenga
  15. Vivian Sanders
  16. Scott Scheraga
  17. David Scholl
  18. Matthew Switlik
  19. Corey Tebo
  20. Bruce Webber
  21. Brian Wennberg
  22. Johnathan Les