Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20160517

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search


Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20160503 Meeting Minutes 20160607

Agenda for 05-17-2016

'Chair: Charlie Rysenga' 7:31 pm


Introductions

Experienced Members

  • Charlie - i3 President
  • Gary - Back for the summer.
  • Greg S. - Wood shop coordinator
  • Vivian S - VP
  • Andrew
  • Mike

New Members & Guests

  • Katie (Andrew)
  • John R
  • TJ

Show and Tell

  • n/a

Old Business

  • n/a

New Business

Discussion of Minor Guest Policy

  • Should the number of guests a member host be lower for minors rather than adults.
  • 1 / 4-6 children is standard for school field trips.
  • The host needs to be paying attention to their guests.
  • 8 to 10 was the typical.
  • For machine shop use it is typically required that the adult be trained and visibly observing minors.
  • A requirement for having members that sponsor minors need to be a member for 4 months. Typically if someone has been there that long they are vested and have an interest in the space.
  • Have multiple sponsors, and have one observe each zone in use.
  • There seems to have been a perception that paying dues was all that was required rather than to be responsible. Other groups in the past have not been an issue.
  • It is a key point that the sponsoring members been trained and understand the correct use of tools so they can provide proper guidance.
  • The rules should have been enforced.
  • Create a lessons learned page to indicate what could have been done differently and point to the sections of policy that are relevant.

Discussion of Asking People to Leave

  • Any member has the right to ask a member or guest to leave if they are in violation of policy.

Maker Faire Update

POC: Jamie

Proposals

Proposal:

Interim Procedures for Cleaning Storage Plot Areas

This is a 90 day interim procedure for developing a standard method for cleaning storage plot areas. It is not a change to the standing rules. If this procedure or a variant proves to be useful to have permanently, changes will be made to the Standing Rules as per the normal methods.


For the Months of June, July and August, 2016. These procedures will be in place.

  • Cleaning the Storage Plot Areas under this procedure will be administered by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator (IZC), or their assignees.
  • Each month the IZC will select a small subsection of the total plot area, approximately 10-15 plots, to be cleaned.
  • On the Monday prior to the first Tuesday of each month, the IZC will post a list of the plots to be cleaned that month to ANNOUNCE, and give individual email to the addresses listed in the CRM for any person who has a plot in the effected area, as per the wiki. This e-mail will include the timeline of the following events with specific dates given.
  • The owners of materials in those plots have 14 days to clear the plot area, either by taking the supplies home, or moving them to a temporary plot which will be listed in the announcement each month. If the owners cannot be at the site during this period, then they must make arrangements with another member to do that for them.
  • The IZC and/or their assignees will clear all remaining material to the dumpster, starting the 3rd Tuesday of the month, and finishing within 6 days.
  • The material will be cleared to the dumpster instead of the Graveyard due to the potentially high volume, as well as the likelihood that most material left will be trash and we do not wish to handle it twice.
  • On the Monday after the 3rd Tuesday of the month, the effected members may move back to their now clean prior plot area. This move must be done by the end of said month. After that time, they will lose their old plot and it will be marked VACANT in the wiki.
  • At the first of each month, the contents of the temporary area from the prior month will be moved to the graveyard, without additional notification.


Moved by Evan; Seconded by Terry
18 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Request for additional security camera

POC: Mike


Proposal:

Amend Security Cameras#Approved Locations to include a camera over the white "pop" fridge.

Moved by Mike F; Seconded by Evan
20 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Announcements

Matt A. Recent banning of individuals

  • Over the past couple of weeks 2 individuals were banned from the space.
  • The difference between an ban and a suspension is that banned individuals are not allowed in the space, suspended members are allowed in if sponsored by a member.
  • If you are uncomfortable with someones behavior, it is acceptalbe to ask someone to leave the space.
  • If there are any issues feel free to call or text Matt A at any time.
  • The member that was banned was due to a cumulative effect of instances over the years.
  • If you are concerned that you could be banned, you've probably heard from either Matt or the board.
  • There will be discussions about requiring less that a unanimous board vote to un-ban and individual.

MOPOP

  • i3 was invited to MOPOP.
  • Will probably have a 10x20 space.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a

Classroom

  • Mike F is finishing the tile. Should be done this week.
  • Matt A is doing the beige paint. Window and door area should be done soon.
  • Terry Is doing the Trim and closing the ceiling. ETA next Monday.
  • Greg has done the Craft Room door and is putting in a new handset.
  • Evan et al has hung the North wall White Board.
  • Terry has ordered the Ceiling Tile (about 2 weeks for delivery)

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • n/a

Compute Zone

  • Nothing to report.

Craft Room

  • n/a

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • Pegasys - down. If the resin isn't full, the machine will happily destroy the print bed.
  • May look for a new resin printer for next year.
  • ROSTOCK bed needs to be re-leveled.

Graveyard

  • n/a

Infrastructure

  • Current big project: wiring the craft room for 3-phase for the sewing machine. Conduit has been run from the buss bar to the ceiling of the craft room, remaining is to conduit to a disconnect on the wall and pull wire through it. Please see me if you are willing to help with this.
  • Next big project is putting in a contactor to power the TIG welder and connectors on the ends to male it portable. Parts have been purchased and are awaiting installation. Please see me if you are willing to help with this.

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kiln Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • Lasers are still working well and seeing a lot of use.

Machine Shop

  • Trained 4 more people on the lathe.
  • DoAll band saw is finished authorization will be required. Will hold first class/demonstration soon.
  • Creating jigs and fixtures would be a great CNC project.

Media Lab

  • New dual monitor PC is setup and running. May have issues with video editing when connecting to the VM.

Sky Zone

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • Some initial plans have been formulated, and indexing has begun. If you are willing to lend a hand please see one of the coordinators. Check out the tool crib slack channel.

Tree House

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • n/a

Welding Zone

  • n/a

Wiki

  • Impromptu Wiki Workshop tomorrow, 5/18 7pm, so Jamie can work on debugging the new install. Basically, Jamie will be in the classroom wiki-ing and drinking wine, and you can come bug her about the wiki, or whatever.

Wood Shop

  • Belt Sander Demo after the meeting.

Space Project Updates

  • Asterisk - team is now working to resolve phone issues.

SIGs

i3 DetroitSat

  • Brancing out with using reaction wheels with brush less motors to orientate the satellite.

i3 MotorSports

  • n/a

HAM

  • n/a

Letterpress

  • n/a

Sewing

  • Held 3 events over past 2 weeks.
  • Fabric design class for Spoonflower.
  • Making use of the classroom, getting some projects done, practicing our serging!
  • Meetups are 2nd Wednesdays, Project Runway n sew is on Sunday afternoons.

Scholarship

  • n/a

COWBELL

Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:25 pm
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 21

Action Items

No action items.

Proposals

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Amend Security Cameras#Approved Locations to include a camera over the white "pop" fridge.Mike FEvan200PASS
==== Interim Procedures for Cleaning Storage Plot Areas ====

This is a 90 day interim procedure for developing a standard method for cleaning storage plot areas. It is not a change to the standing rules. If this procedure or a variant proves to be useful to have permanently, changes will be made to the Standing Rules as per the normal methods.


For the Months of June, July and August, 2016. These procedures will be in place.

  • Cleaning the Storage Plot Areas under this procedure will be administered by the Infrastructure Zone Coordinator (IZC), or their assignees.
  • Each month the IZC will select a small subsection of the total plot area, approximately 10-15 plots, to be cleaned.
  • On the Monday prior to the first Tuesday of each month, the IZC will post a list of the plots to be cleaned that month to ANNOUNCE, and give individual email to the addresses listed in the CRM for any person who has a plot in the effected area, as per the wiki. This e-mail will include the timeline of the following events with specific dates given.
  • The owners of materials in those plots have 14 days to clear the plot area, either by taking the supplies home, or moving them to a temporary plot which will be listed in the announcement each month. If the owners cannot be at the site during this period, then they must make arrangements with another member to do that for them.
  • The IZC and/or their assignees will clear all remaining material to the dumpster, starting the 3rd Tuesday of the month, and finishing within 6 days.
  • The material will be cleared to the dumpster instead of the Graveyard due to the potentially high volume, as well as the likelihood that most material left will be trash and we do not wish to handle it twice.
  • On the Monday after the 3rd Tuesday of the month, the effected members may move back to their now clean prior plot area. This move must be done by the end of said month. After that time, they will lose their old plot and it will be marked VACANT in the wiki.
  • At the first of each month, the contents of the temporary area from the prior month will be moved to the graveyard, without additional notification.
EvanTerry180PASS

Attendance

  1. Evan Allen
  2. Matt Arnold
  3. Nathaniel Bezanson
  4. Brandon Biller
  5. Jamie Burdeski
  6. Ken Buttery
  7. Michael Fink
  8. Amy Hang
  9. David Henry
  10. Jan Henry
  11. Jonathan Lee
  12. Samantha Letvin
  13. Amelia Meyer
  14. Gary Morin
  15. James O'Dell
  16. Scott Scheraga
  17. David Scholl
  18. Greg Smith
  19. Bruce Webber
  20. Terry Wynn
  21. Zachariah Zalac
  22. Tesla
  23. Zeta