Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20160607

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20160517 Meeting Minutes 20160621

Agenda for 06-07-2016

'Chair: Charlie Rysenga 7:33pm'


Experienced Members

  • n/a

New Members & Guests

  • TJ - Machining CNC Robotics
  • Azam - Wayne State Graphics design 3d modeling and metals / jewelry
  • Omar, UNC 3d modeling woodshop.
  • Found i3 through All Hands Active

Show and Tell

  • David - Wood and Acrylic LED "Torch"

Old Business

  • Fire extinguishers. Jewelry and Kiln, Welding should be mounted and accessible. Added as a Potlock task.

New Business

Maker Faire Update

  • 15 projects signed up so far - we need more projects! Sign up here: Project Sign up Form
    • Especially need more art gallery projects - talk to Kevin or Jamie, or use the form to sign up any art that you would like to be displayed in the gallery
  • Tent layout: This year the 40'x80' will have no poles on the inside, so we'll have more flexibility in arranging our tables.
  • Commercial makers: THF is waiving the commercial maker fee for anyone in our tent because they love us - so if anyone wants to sell items out of our tent, sign up and you'll save $60 compared to selling on your own!
  • Extra publicity for the After-Party or any project demos during Maker Faire: We need to get any information we want to be publicized by July 1st. This includes the Flyer for the After-Party and any kind of schedule of events that we're doing in the tent
  • Speaking of special events/demos - does anyone want to do a demo? It wouldn't have to be an all-weekend thing, more like a couple hours. If we have a few of them throughout the weekend, it'll increase attendance at the tent like whoa
  • Want to help with any of the planning? Talk to Jamie or join #makerfaire2016 on Slack
  • Projects do not need to be completed to register or display.
  • There will be a number of display cases for smaller objects.


  • n/a


  • Lakes of Fire - Great Lakes regional "Burning Man" event is next week.
  • Potlock is Saturday, June 11th, from 2pm-6pm.
    • Please attend even for a bit if you can.
    • Thanks to all who have participated in prior Potlocks.
  • Budget meeting this Saturday at 12-2
  • Storage clean out is in process.
  • Adafruit and Sparkfun will give a discount for group orders. There will most likely be another in a couple weeks.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • n/a

Compute Zone

  • Nothing to report.

Craft Room

  • Sewing dept: Singer industrial has electricity! We are working on getting it ready/installing alternate motor. 65 presser feet are labeled and boxed. Electrical box will be locked. Combination will be provided to users after an orientation.
  • We now have new serger thread. Please leave a donation to cover use of thread based on indicated cost to replace. A replacement pedal needs to be ordered, and then the serger will be ready to use again.
  • Husqvarna embroidery machine is taken down right now as Kevin wants to have it checked out.
  • We have a framed embroidery sample to illustrate what can be done with purchased designs and thread. It's located in the hallway outside the craft room/E lab, in the corner.

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • n/a


  • n/a


  • Wire had been run for the sewing machine (thanks to David)
  • some work is planned for pot lock, we have parts to complete most of the projects, I'll be coordinating it.

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • New forming hammers (for soft metals and jewelry work only)
  • Also new (used) small ultrasonic cleaner and tumbler
  • In discussions with Michigan Silversmiths Guild to create 3D printing class for MSG members
  • Plan to inventory equipment during Potlock.

Kiln Zone

  • Successful last minute class this past month, may make a more frequent endeavor.

Laser Zone

  • Lasers still seem to be working well.
  • Vent blower and screen are in need of cleaning. This should get done at potlock.
  • Making slow but incremental progress on new timer and other zone upgrades. Timer and other features may come and go as they're worked on and tested.

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sky Zone

  • Will request additional funding from board toward the fall (will probably be pushed to 2017 budget cycle), please share comments and requests with Baumann by e-mail.

Tool Crib

  • Pot lock will mostly be sorting and indexing the parts we have. I would appreciate volunteers to go through this stuff while I coordinate other stuff at pot lock.

Tree House

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • n/a

Welding Zone

  • n/a


  • 34 active users in the last month
  • Most active user: Abzman (134 edits)
  • Activity highlights
  • Visual Editor is awesome and you should try using it! Ask Jamie if you need help with it

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • n/a


i3 DetroitSat

  • Interations on reaction wheel design.

i3 MotorSports

  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • Next monthly meet is tomorrow night, Wednesday June 8 from 7-9 in the classroom.
  • Project Runway show n sew has been running most Sundays. Next event date is Sunday, June 26 from 1-3 in the classroom. (Not meeting June 12 or June 19)


  • n/a


Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

  • Any interest in updated speakers to replace the current ones in the commons area?

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:08pm
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 28

Action Items

No action items.


No proposals.


  1. Nathaniel Bezanson
  2. Jamie Burdeski
  3. Matthew Carpenter
  4. Leora Druckman
  5. Michael Fink
  6. Kevin Flory
  7. Christian Handley
  8. David Henry
  9. Jan Henry
  10. Jonathan Lee
  11. Robert Lifton
  12. Gary Morin
  13. Stephen Nowicki
  14. James O'Dell
  15. Charlie Rysenga
  16. Scott Scheraga
  17. Greg Smith
  18. Matthew Switlik
  19. Corey Tebo
  20. Tanya Tkacz
  21. Yajie Wang
  22. Bruce Webber
  23. Nicole Weltman
  24. Azam Khan
  25. Omar Khan
  26. Harpreet Mahal
  27. TJ Johnson
  28. Alfonso Liguori