Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20160621

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20160607 Meeting Minutes 20160705

Agenda for 06-21-2016

'Chair: Charlie Rysenga' 7:31 pm


Experienced Members

  • Cory - Software, electronics, board games.
  • Charlie, arduino, LEDs and terrible art.

New Members & Guests

  • Alan, Detroit Sat, Arduinos, found through google & Maker Faire.
  • JP
  • Camile
  • Tony, artist, moved back, working with Kilns and CNC
  • Josselyn - Leora, and Tanya
  • Jim, Cincinnati Hive13

Show and Tell

  • n/a

Old Business

  • Potlock - shelving, outlets and a new audio system and much more.
  • Storage Cleanout - still on schedule. Thanks to Augie for assisting with the cleanout.

New Business


  • n/a


  • Jim from ive13 Hackerspace in Cincinnati. Power tool drag race at Maker Faire. If you interested and would like to help out or build a racer, let Jim know.
  • Many online courses will be taken offline at the end of the month.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • n/a

Compute Zone

  • Nothing to report.

Craft Room

  • Husqvarna update
    • Service.
    • Do not try to fix or take apart, ever.
    • Cleaning after use.
    • Do not sew over pins.
    • Any problems, contact Jan or Kevin.

Electronics Lab

  • Now much cleaner!!!
  • New RF equipment: Spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter.
    • It still needs a wiki page created for it.
  • New test leads! They suck considerably less than the old ones.
    • Please heed the labels and put them back where they go, please.

Fab Lab

  • In answer to many questions over the last couple weeks, the Rostock MAX is, in fact, operational.
    • The wiki page for the machine was not updated the last time the printer was restored to service.
    • The minor complaints a couple weeks ago were due to wet filament.
  • The filament dry boxes will be purchased July 1-4.
  • Still waiting for Full Spectrum to ship the new vat for the Pegasus Touch.
  • Still working with Terry W. to figure out what we are doing with the Protomat.
    • Some of the current owners are interested in selling their shares.
    • The machine is not regularly used, and takes up bench space that could be better used.
    • It is this coordinator's estimation that the time has come to shelve or sell the machine.
    • Looking for arguments for/against this course of action.


  • n/a


  • Lots of stuff got done at potlock
  • Vent fan above compute zone works now, remember to turn it off.
  • New pallet racks are up, please keep them vacant for next month's storage clean out
  • Storage clean out going well. Contents have been disposed of, still going through the process.

Injection Molding

  • Large machine is almost running!
    • Have been fortunate to find an experienced injection molding machine repair person that is getting the large machine running in exchange for some CNC machine work.
    • He also gets used parts for about 20% of new retail.
    • Replaced the heater bands and it heats up in 5 minutes instead of 25 minutes.
    • One more hydraulic valve to replace for $50 this week and it should be running.
    • Then we will get the controls figured out and Charlie has offered to configure a PLC to run the controls.
  • I have about 8 molds that will be done by mid July.
  • Working on a second i3 member molding project.
  • Once the big machine is running the zone will get a through house cleaning and organization.

Jewelry Zone

  • Continuing to inventory all tools and equipment.
  • More storage space added.
  • More tools on loan from Tanya.

Kiln Zone

  • If you are interested in becoming certified on the new glass kiln, contact Leora or Joseph at KilnZone@i3detroit.com
  • Thinking of splitting off glass and ceramics.

Laser Zone

  • Vent fan and screen have been cleaned, so exhaust airflow should be stronger.

Machine Shop

  • Emptied scrap aluminum and steel bins on Saturday (lot of things that don't belong in there, don't be jerks and put garbage in scrap bins)
  • DoAll band saw is going through growing pains. Blades have been damaged...
  • Replaced belt and disk on sander and the new shop vac is awesome.
  • Need help in the machine shop - call for co-coordinators, or splitting up the space into multiple mini-zones/responsibilities (i.e. lathe, mill, everything else...)

Media Lab

  • n/a

Sky Zone

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • Minor organization got done at pot lock.
  • Some much needed labeling got done!
  • Donation from Konrad is going to be disbursed into the existing organizational system.
  • Very few responses on member-owned tools question, much faith is being placed in sharpie labels and green tape.
  • New section of the wiki page for wanted tools, please fill it out if you can't find something you need.
  • Don't put 'set of screwdrivers'. That's not helpful. Put the one you couldn't find, I will decide what sets it makes sense to get to cover those needs.

Tree House

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • Vinyl cutter is down until further notice.

Welding Zone

  • New shelves rock: top shelf will be available as member storage at ZC discretion.
  • Purge went well. Organization proceeding apace.
  • Plasma cutter has issues starting the arc.


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • Panel Saw
    • The Panel Saw Shop Vacuum was modified during and after Potlock.
    • It is now equipped with a Thien Cyclone pre-stage dust collector and an automatic startup system so the vacuum starts when the panel saw switch is triggered and continues for several seconds after the trigger is released.
    • All switches should remain in the on position for the control to work.

Space Project Updates

  • n/a


i3 DetroitSat

  • Many mini projects in flight. Meeting tonight.

i3 MotorSports

  • Looking for volunteers for track marshals at Maker Faire.


  • Field day is this weekend.


  • A new class may be in the near future. It may focus on laser cutting type.


  • Your Project Runway returns this Sunday June 26 in the classroom. Bring projects, watch Project Runway.


  • n/a


Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:07 pm
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 34

Action Items

No action items.


No proposals.


  1. Evan Allen
  2. Nathaniel Bezanson
  3. Brandon Biller
  4. Matthew Carpenter
  5. Leora Druckman
  6. Kevin Flory
  7. Matthew Gardeski
  8. David Henry
  9. Jan Henry
  10. Matt Huber
  11. T.J. Johnson
  12. Azam Khan
  13. Omar Khan
  14. Tom Kim
  15. Jonathan Lee
  16. Samantha Letvin
  17. Brian Logsdon
  18. Harpreet Mahal
  19. Amelia Meyer
  20. Gary Morin
  21. Stephen Nowicki
  22. James O'Dell
  23. Charlie Rysenga
  24. Vivian Sanders
  25. Scott Scheraga
  26. Roger Slykhouse
  27. Corey Tebo
  28. Tanya Tkacz
  29. Yajie Wang
  30. Tony Klein
  31. Jean-Philippe Loew
  32. Matt Schmotzer
  33. Jim Dallam
  34. Paul Harmon