Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20170117
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Meeting Minutes 20170103||Meeting Minutes 20170207|
- 1 Agenda for 01-17-2017
- 1.1 Introductions
- 1.2 Show and Tell
- 1.3 Old Business
- 1.4 New Business
- 1.5 Zone updates
- 1.6 SIGs
- 2 COWBELL
- 3 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 01-17-2017
Chair: Charlie Rysenga
Charlie says the meeting began at 17:34 or 7:34 or something. Time's relative. Don't worry about it.
- Karianne G, who likes cutting up and sewing dead skin. Specifically leatherworking.
- Matt Switlik (Swit) is a longtime member who likes doing augmented reality development
- Rob L is another longtime member, he likes laser and vinyl cutting among other things
- Nikki M is a former member who moved around a lot and is now back. She's resolved to start building stuff again.
New Members & Guests
- Erica is a second time guest interested in jewelry-making
- Hans is a new member interesting in using the laser to make things like shelving
- Mark, who just moved to Detroit recently, is interested in working in the machine shop
- David B is interested in working in the machine shop
- Will H is a relatively new member who's been practicing his machining and lathe skills
- Cyrille is interested in woodworking or welding
- Allie (sp?) is probably, no, pretty sure, that he's interested in the electronics lab
Show and Tell
- Les upgraded his couch PC's DIY monitor with a mic stand mount, using the laser cutter to build a new back plate with VESA 100/75 mounting holes and places to bolt down components.
- It's built mostly from scratch and looks awesome.
- You should go read his blog post about the project.
- Swit likes doing augmented reality stuff and is building a miniatures game with a projection tabletop system
- He's finally got all the miniatures painted and modded with magnets
- He wants to bring it to an upcoming board game night
- Brandon B has an Audi supercharger pulley that he's built a custom mount for, which is apparently very difficult. He's also machined a set of 6 supercharger adapters which look real shiny.
- Karianne just finished a giant leather d20 that opens like PacMan. She gestures wakka wakka wakka.
- This month's Board meeting was moved to next Tuesday (1/24/2017)
- Rob - This month's HAM radio shop is the morning of Sunday, Jan. 29th at the United Food and Commerical Workers Hall in Madison Heights
- Also, Winter Field day is coming up. If you're interested, check out winterfieldday.com
- Swit is going to post to the list a group outing to Marvelous Marvin's Mechanical Museum later this month
- The Marche du Nain Rouge is coming up on March 26th at 2 pm
- ConFusion sci-fi convention is this weekend at the Novi Sherraton
- Pleasure Fest, an indoor renaissance festival is coming up in early February
- Charlie is looking for a protege he can train to take on the duties of President next year
Adding FabLab to Approved Security Camera List
Change to Restrictions on Camera Reviews
Tony S would like to modify the current CCTV review policy, which requires two members of the board be present to approve and conduct a camera review, to require only one board member to approve and conduct camera reviews when a Zone Coordinator makes a request.
- Charlie says the current policy dates back to when there was a tight knit group of directors and officers
- There is some discussion over whether we could expand the pool of reviewers to include zone coordinators and officers
- There is discussion over how many people in total are required, if, when the requester is in the pool of reviewers, they can also be one of two who authorize a review, and who in general is allowed to be present during the review.
- Erica says that having a technical expert/zone coordinator would be very helpful for cases where specific knowledge would help, ie identifying subtle machine damage (Secretary's note: this is already permissible under current rules. Those who authorize the review have discretion as to who is at the review)
- Tony - Having the zone coordinator and a board member is still having two people authorizing
- Kevin - says there were some intensely emotional discussions when this was brought up in the past, and we should put this on the list to get more feedback
- Charlie - That is true, and this wasn't put on the agenda prior to the meeting
- Suggestion that there is more potential for misuse of the system with one requester and one approver, using it carry out grudges and such
- Pirate suggests there could potentially be two viewings to account for misuse of the system by only requester and one reviewer
- Tony doesn't think there's likely to be misuse, and strongly values being able to review footage promptly
- It is noted that there is a lot to discuss about this, and big rule changes should not be brought up right at a meeting
(Secretary's note: See How to propose rule, policy, or procedure changes)
Rob motions to table discussion to the list, Kevin seconds. 11 in favor, 1 opposed, motion passes
- Xacto blades now live in a labeled drawer in the table under the cutting mat
- Jan is fixing up an adjustable, vintage 50s dress form which will be usable soon.
- Received word (thank you Charlie!) that the zone was running low on perfboards
- Ordered a bunch more perfboards in some old and new styles, expect arrival over the coming weeks
- A backlit sign was repaired for the friend of a member
- Any completed projects coming out of the zone? Please brag about 'em!
- Construction commenced over the weekend
- Stud framing is up
- Power and network boxes are mostly complete
- Power and network runs to be scheduled
- Drywall to be scheduled, maybe this weekend
- Wolverine is running well
- Still working on Bumblebee. May have found the problem, will know more later this week when parts arrive.
- It'll have a shiny new control pad when it comes back on line.
- Tony is going to set up a class to train trainers for the machine shop equipment, since there are only a few.
- His goal is to have at least one training session a month for each piece of equipment
- Vinyl cutter has a failed power supply, replacement is on Nate B's doorstep.
- Two volunteers have stepped forward to help install it, expect that to be scheduled in the next few days
- In the meantime Rob is awesome and loaned his cutter to the space
- Pattern workshop is tomorrow from noon to 4 with an expert instructor. $50 for four hours of help.
- Monthly sewing meetup is tomorrow (Wed. 1/18) from 7-9 pm
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed: 8...something..probably?
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 22
No action items.
|Proposal||Moved By||Seconded By||Aye||Nay||Result|
|Add the fab lab to the list of approved security camera locations in the standing rules||Andrew M||David H||18||0||PASS|
- Charlie R
- Mike F
- Tony S
- Will H
- John P
- Erica Z
- Brian L
- Rob L
- Nikki M
- James F
- Jan H
- David H
- Andrew M
- Mark P
- Matt C
- Alfonso L
- Les O
- Matt S
- Brandon B
- Dave S