Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20170207
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Meeting Minutes 20170117||Meeting Minutes 20170221|
- 1 Agenda for 02-07-2017
- 1.1 Introductions
- 1.2 Show and Tell
- 1.3 Old Business
- 1.4 New Business
- 1.5 Zone updates
- 1.5.1 Bicycle Shop
- 1.5.2 Classroom
- 1.5.3 CNC Zone
- 1.5.4 Commons Area
- 1.5.5 Compute Zone
- 1.5.6 Craft Room
- 1.5.7 Electronics Lab
- 1.5.8 Fab Lab
- 1.5.9 Graveyard
- 1.5.10 Infrastructure
- 1.5.11 Injection Molding
- 1.5.12 Jewelry Zone
- 1.5.13 Kiln Zone
- 1.5.14 Laser Zone
- 1.5.15 Machine Shop
- 1.5.16 Media Lab
- 1.5.17 Sky Zone
- 1.5.18 Tool Crib
- 1.5.19 Tree House
- 1.5.20 Vinyl Zone
- 1.6 SIGs
- 2 COWBELL
- 3 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 02-07-2017
Chair: Charlie Rysenga
- Mike W - is the new bike zone coordinator. Recently bult a desk from an old bowling alley lane, and is now working on a bar out of maple. He's a software developer.
- Tony - Machien shop coordinator. He's currently building a bench grinder.
- Alec - He's the commons area coordinator, member advocate, and recently became a member of the Board
New Members & Guests
- Taylor - [sorry, had trouble hearing - Sec.]
- Alex - Likes woodworking projects and an astrophotography tracker. Has lived in three different
- Steffany - she does graphic and product design
- Patrick - He likes working with electronics, metal, cars
Show and Tell
- David H - i3 T-Shirt made with stencils.
- Jan H - Restored 1950s vintage adjustable dress form. Her name is Madeline and she's shy.
- Kevin made a barre for ballet out of 2x4s and galvanized iron pipe.
- Congrats to Alec on being appointed to the Board of Directors
- There's another open Director position on the board.
- Currently, Matt Arnold, Tony Slover, and Mark Miles have been nominated.
- Are you interested? Have thoughts about those listed above?
- The Henry Ford Membership Pass - i3 has a corporate membership which groups of members can use for access to The Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Villiage, and the rides.
- Thanks to everyone who made our tent at Maker Faire awesome to
- Open Wiki Warden and VP of Member Retention positions. Interested?
- Roger: There will be a laser maintenance class 7 pm Friday, 2/10. This will cover leveling the bed, cleaning the optics
Proposed Camera Policy Change
Modify the camera policy to expand the pool of reviewers. See for details: Membership_Proposal_20170206_Camera_Policy_Change
- Question - why was the camera policy structured the way it was before? was it designed to be difficult?
- Roger - Yes, it was written when there were no cameras or anything, and there were concerns about potential abuse
Proposed Treehouse Change
Change Treehouse from all lounge to part lounge, part leatherworking zone. In other words, add a Leatherworking zone to the Treehouse
Karianne has been appointed Treehouse coordinator and has an idea and question --
- What's everyone's opinion on keeping the treehouse a hangout space but having half of it a leather zone?
- It may entail:
- Getting rid of one of the couches
- Emptying out the book shelves but having smaller shelves for some books and games
- Getting a beanbag chair for mobile sitting area etc
- For the Leather zone:
- Putting up an "L"shape table
- Putting up some peg board for tools
- Bringing up a shelf for Leather to purchase
- Possibly putting up my leather sewing machine etc
- Dedicated space for leather work
- More leather classes
- Retention of a chill space within the "new zone"
[Not voted on. See Meeting_Minutes_20170207#Tree_House Treehouse zone update for more discussion - sec.]
- Zone survey sent out Jan. 25th (Also available at https://goo.gl/forms/vdX3Yu47KhR37ra72 )
- 14 responses as of Feb. 1st
- Zone cleaned up and reorganized a bit
- Any questions/concerns/comments on the job done so far?
- Cleaning supply cabinets temporarily moved into zone from behind the work bench so we can clean the area back there.
- Several members are designing a plan to build a winch attached to the whiteboard, to lower it onto a table to reveal a cutting mat on the reverse. See Craft Room below.
- 3 new people going through training
- Fixed tool changer issue for minimal cost. $55. Self funded by zone.
- The compute zone is mostly operational during nearby fab lab construction. The B&W printer is running again. The network connection was disconnected.
- Cutting table is still in progress.
- The plan is to install it in the classroom behind the white board.
- The cutting mat itself is a specialized sewing mat surface, slightly sanded to prevent material slippage.
- It has a 4x8' printed grid enabling people with large sewing projects to lay patterns out and cut them without a lot of repositioning.
- Another feature will be a bolt holder mounted on one end, so rolls of fabric can be hung during cutting.
- We're testing out an industrial machine Juki DDL-8300N sewing machine with variable speed DC servo motor.
- The Baby Lock serger is here!
- Might make it an authorized tool but for the moment we're encouraging members and guests who haven't used a Baby Lock or any serger, to connect with Jan for a short (1 hour?) introduction.
- It's intended to reduce wear and tear, plus get you up to speed with a little help.
- Regular introduction times are Wednesday nights 2x a month during the Sewcials. Plus several days during the week.
- Help is an email away -- it shouldn't be a problem to meet up.
- The first dress form is ready. A cover has been made to keep the dust off between uses. Intended use is assistance with fitting when sewing clothes or costumes. Pinning fabric is great, gluing fabric to it is not. :-) She's not intended for wet materials, glues, paints, redecorating, etc. The old display mannequins remain available...
- Mini hot glue sticks have been restocked.
- Craft glue sticks like Elmer's have been ordered as we are out.
- Open Craft Room will now only be on Fridays.
- Charlie thinks it looks awesome, and he thanks everyone working on it.
- We have new, faster, not intentionally crippled to fail by cisco wifi access points
- We have a new router that is smaller, lower power, should break less, and should hold up to more connections
- Lots of new network runs, mostly for the Fab Lab and Compute zone
- New color coded and properly sized patch cables for the network (near the pop fridge)
- A new circuit run to the new Fab Lab
- Plenty of new outlets run to the new Fab Lab and all zones that border it
- Major TLC done to small machine with help of Glen Moore and Evan.
- Using large chiller, i.e. outside, until new chiller hooked up which should happen in next several weeks.
- Apparently i3 is one of the only makerspaces around with a working injection molder. Neat!
- Intro to Enameling and Foldforming, Sun, February 12, 2017, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM EST. Learn foldforming and enameling on copper with experienced jeweler and teacher, Idelle Hammond-Sass. http://idellehammond-sass.com. You will learn to fold, bend, hammer and prepare copper for enameling. Then you will use powdered enamels to create color and special effects. The pieces you complete can be used as an attractive pendant or set of earrings. Learn to safely use a torch, kiln, tools and powdered glass enamel. No experience necessary. All materials and supplies are provided. Sign up on Eventbrite. Questions? Jewelry@i3Detroit.org
- Intro to Stained Glass, Wed, February 22, 2017, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM EST. Mark Miles will be teaching a basic introduction to Stained Glass includng designing, cutting, and soldering. The method taught will utilize metal came and colored glass. Students will create a sun catcher using provided designs or a design of their own. Sign up on Eventbrite. Questions? Glass@i3Detroit.org
- Laser Maintenence class Friday. See announcements above.
- Thanks to everyone who helped clean and refit the exhaust grating, so it shouldn't clog as often.
- NB - If the laser is full of smoke, DO NOT KEEP USING IT.
- Nothing yet. Once The zone location swap is finished, the media zone rebuild will start.
- I am looking for info and advice about music software for Windows. Looking for 'Garageband' type functionally.
- The blocks of allen keys have returned
- The box of torx drivers has returned
- The good corded sawzall seems to have gone missing, please contact me if you borrowed it
- We now have a brand new corded rotary hammer (was purchased because using the cordless one would have taken days of recharging to install the fab lab)
- It came with a free 4 1/2" angle grinder, which is cool (no we couldn't have gotten it cheaper without)
- Please keep the bench in the tool crib clear, it is not a place to dump tools you cannot be bothered to put back
- Karianne has been appointed coordinator, has a proposal, see proposals.
- She's noticed that it keeps being left full of trash, which sucks.
- She'd like to remove one of the couches and put in workspace for a leatherworking zone.
- Roger asks why does this need to be separate from the craft room?
- Karianne says having room for a nice size granite slab would be much better than the tiny one that fits in the craft room. She also has a lot of tools that could be stored here that wouldn't fit in the craft room, and possibly her sewing machine.
- Roger asks if she's concerned about tools disappearing, getting damaged, etc?
- Karianne says the only things that she'd be especially concerned about are the sewing machine which could be locked out.
- Les asks why not take over the whole space as a workspace? He's wondering how the leatherworking area would affect the relatively quiet, private chill space up there?
- Karianne says leatherworking is pretty chill, and she may also install a curtain to separate the areas.
- Kevin requests whatever couch we keep is still something long enough to lie down on
- Vinyl Cutter is working again!
- Thanks to Nate for finding replacement parts and to the mystery pixie who fixed the Vinyl Cutter, and to Rob L for loaning his in the interim.
- Machine introductions and trainings are available during twice monthly Wednesday night sewcials. The next one is February 15.
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed: 8:30ish
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 22
No action items.
- Charlie R
- Mike F
- Alec B
- Jan H
- Matt C
- Alex V
- Taylor C
- Steffany L
- Patrick ?
- David H
- James O
- Mark F
- Mike W
- Brian P
- Les O
- Jonathan D
- Dave S
- Thad J
- Tony S
- Karianne G
- Lewis D
- Paul F