Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20170321

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20170307 Meeting Minutes 20170404

Agenda for 03-21-2017

Chair: Charlie Rysenga


Experienced Members

  • Brian L was just walking in, so Charlie pounced. He likes working in the wood shop.
  • Kevin F is a co-coordinator of the craft room. See him for glue, scissors, or promiscuiously stretched calves.

New Members & Guests

  • Evan P - Just finished phase 2, interested in electronics and maybe woodworking.
  • Mark just discovered phase 1 a little bit ago, and he has done some woodworking. Everything here seems new and sparkly.

Show and Tell

  • Jan has several example items sewn using new serger.
    • Seams on stretchy athletic pants.
    • Gathered running skirt with very tiny rolled edge seams
    • The Serger is really quick and not scary! See Jan if you're interested in instruction.
  • Rich has a mitre jointed square lamp frame, using tape instead of clamps to make square corners.
  • Charlie asked the lovely Lew to show off his antique Geiger counter, which will be modified to detect wifi signal strength.
    • It's unfortunately impractical to use for measuring non-catastrophic radiation

Old Business

New Business

Yuri's Night

  • 7:30-8:30  Space Trivia!  4 people/max per team. Suggested donation of $10/competitor. Winners will receive lasercut space trophies!
  • Space Bakesale!
  • Various space keychains and space paperweights for space sale!
  • Bring your own space telescope for space stargazing!
  • Spaaaaaaaaace!

Artists' Alley

  • Dana is organizing artists and people who may not think of themselves as artists for sharing booth space at various art and craft fairs in the area.
  • If anyone's still interested in selling their artsy things, tell Dana she needs to bug you.
  • The group is setting up a dry run of a booth to take photos, because many shows are jurried, meaning they request photos of the entire booth in advance.
  • The first show, Ferndale Pride, which isn't jurried, has a little more room for one or two more people.
  • Display fixtures like gridwalls

Detroit Maker Faire

  • It looks like we're going to do the same thing as last year, with i3 doing one big group reservation
  • It's going to be July 29-30 this year, and planning for it is starting soon.
  • Challenge: Charlie wants to expand our tent size over last year from 40'x80' to 40'x120'

Today's event: Knife Sharpening with Tony!

See Knife-Depot for details

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • Space revamp in progress
  • Need to finish cart wheels, don't move much until this is finished
  • Will revamp wall storage for wheels/tires next.
  • Any interest in a bike repair / tuning workshop in April?

Craft Room

  • Sewing cutting table update: as it will be in the classroom due to its size, the whiteboard has been mounted to the underside. Between uses, the table will be mounted to the wall, whiteboard side out. This bit of engineering is taking some time to ensure stability of the system, so it's still in the working stages.


  • Thirteen out of seventeen cameras are up, working, and have been working. You can check to see what is currently covered on the Security Cameras page.
  • The remaining work required is hanging cameras and running cable. Feel Free to ask me (Evan A), Andrew M, Mike F, or Mark F to get an explanation on how you can help running cable or hanging cameras.

Laser Zone

Things Mike needs help with:

  • Set up some kind of desktop widget calendar on the laptop to display the laser's daily schedule.
    • We can set up an @i3detroit.org google account to use for accessing the calendar. Accounts on our domain can see more details than just the "free/busy" status, so the local user could see who has reservations coming up that day, etc.
    • Bonus points if the software can do pop-up notifications of some kind to make it clear when someone's reservation is starting soon.
  • Are you or someone you know skilled in laser repair or high voltage electronics?! Apply now! Bumblebee needs you!

Tool Crib

  • People have requested and been granted permission to store large projects in the H structure for a short period of time.
  • Other people have just left things there without valid parking permit and will be reminded about how that space requires a parking permit signed by the zone coordinator.
  • Several tools have been loaned out on a short-term basis.
  • Some of them have not come back on time, I will be following up to get them back. Whenever this happens I am less likely to loan out tools again.
  • Help is requested in running the remaining four chunks of threaded rod through the wall to secure the vice.
  • The good corded sawzall is still missing, anyone with information about its whereabouts should contact the zone coordinator.



  • Pattern workshop weekly on Wednesdays, 12-4pm in the classroom. Bring your project to work with an expert in the sewing field. $50 payable to Gwen Powell. She will also come on an evening if people request it.
  • Next open sewing night is March 29, 7-9pm, in the classroom. If you have projects to get done for Penguicon, this is a good time to do it, as the room is set up as a sewing workroom for the night -- just come in and sew!


Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 7:55 pm
  • Funds appropriated: 0
  • Attendees: 16

Action Items

No action items.


No proposals.


  1. Charlie R
  2. Mike F
  3. Alec B
  4. Lew D
  5. Kevin F
  6. David H
  7. Jan H
  8. Brian L
  9. Dana N
  10. James O
  11. Dave S
  12. Tony S
  13. Alex V
  14. Evan P
  15. Devin M
  16. Mark K