Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20170404

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20170321 Meeting Minutes 20170418

Agenda for 04-04-2017

404 Meeting Not Found
Chair: Charlie Rysenga


Experienced Members

  • Charlie mainly tinkers around with electronics and i3. His least favorite color is taupe.
  • Mike W is a software developer at Amaon and is the coordinator of the Bike Zone. He's proud of the tool cart he built, so now the zone is essentially now portable so you can go outside and work in the sun. His least favorite color is groon.
  • Lew makes a lot of things, mostly out of leather. His least favorite color is Soylent Green.

New Members & Guests

  • Kerry is a machine builder by trade, works at Beaumont Hospital.
  • Malcolm has some electrical hobbies like HAM radio and STEM classes. His least favorite color is mauve. His day job is as a EE at ford.
  • Walker is a software engineer at Ford and is now building robotics. He turns used electric wheelchairs into robots. His least favorite color is chartruse.
  • Cindy is new to the world of making things and is fascinated by the space here. her least favorite color is yellow

Show and Tell

  • Frank A has some awesome looking clocks that he's built based on a laser cut wood design. Gears were cut from aluminum plate with help from Thad on the Haas and anondized at a local shop. Wood frames were made from a variety of wood types including rosewod and purpleheart. After quite a long time working on them, he's proud to say they're now a finished project. Yay!
  • David built a powered retractable cutting mat table (see video here ) It needs a little bit more work and will be usable soon, and training for its use will be provided then. The cutting mat is very expensive, so training will hopefully keep it from being damaged.
  • Karianne & Ross have awesome laser cut leather d20s that they're making a ton of for ThinkGeek.
  • Jan has a paneled skirt sewn together from laser cut fabric.

Old Business


POC: Tom K

  • The artist can't make Tuesday evenings so Tom has some questions from him, such as what colors we'd like to have on it. Discussion is on the mailing list.
  • Charlie mentions we'll need to get budget approval at the board meeting and landlord approval to paint the exterior of the building.

New Business


  • IEEE Spring Conference - Malcolm Lunn should be around to invite i3 to have a presence at the event
    • May 4, 2017 4-9pm at the John Lewis Conference Center
    • The topic is real examples of Internet of Things type projects, and he's looking for people who have made projects that would fall under this topic and would like to present them. There will be two tables of space for i3 Detroit members to present projects.
  • i3's quarterly Potlock is this Saturday 4/8/17 from 11am - 6pm
    • Please come, bring food to share, and help clean and enhance the space
    • The theme is Spring Rejuvenation
    • Charlie is coordinating the hardware purchases beforehand, so if there are supplies that are needed, tell him.

Trainer Training

  • Dana wants to spearhead the process of training existing trainers to train new trainers for training-required equipment.
  • Choo Choo!
  • She's planning to really dive into this after Penguicon (i.e. beginning next month)

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • The bike zone cart is finished for now which has really awesome mechanism to keep the cart stationary.
    • May want to label tools eventually
  • Any interest in a bike repair or tuning workshop in May, or else a meetup for people who like to bike here?

Compute Zone

  • Roger put together a worksheet for large format printer/plotter printing costs, including what types of paper we have on hand: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Bud5ufO6XMNDFVeWhhc1NObjQ/view
  • James will have finalized prices later this week, and he's planning to do printer orientation after the next member meeting.
  • See the existing printouts by the printer for examples.

Craft Room


  • See Show and Tell for cutting table. Training will be available on sewing nights and by request, to those who use it for sewing. It operates by remote only. Using it manually could result in a crash which would destroy the mounting system.
  • Serger training is available on sewing nights and by request too, and it's fairly likely to be available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and a weekend day as well.
  • Both can be found on the wiki for further information. Fabric_cutting_table/mat


  • Sixteen out of eighteen cameras are up, working, and have been working. You can check to see what is currently covered on the Security Cameras page.
  • The remaining work required is hanging cameras and running cable. Feel Free to ask me (Evan A), Andrew M, Mike F, or Mark F to get an explanation on how you can help running cable or hanging cameras.

Jewelry Zone

  • Enameling class with expert instructor Idelle Hammond
  • Sass has been rescheduled to Sunday, May 21st. Look for an email with signup link.

Kiln Zone

  • Intro to stained glass (foil method) is being scheduled for May or June. Also, an Intro to Fused Glass class has been scheduled for the evening of May 10th at 6:30 p.m. Look for emails with signup links in the near future.

Laser Zone

  • Wolverine's tube died on 3/24/17. The still good tube in Bumblebee (which is down for other reasons) was swapped in, so we still have one good laser.
  • A replacement tube may be covered under warranty, but we're still waiting to hear back. Depends on whether the replacement we got last summer came with a full warranty or if it's only covered under the original purchase from last April.
  • Work on Bumblebee continues. Thanks to Roger for mapping out the whole electrical system in the laser.

Tool Crib

  • A large number of tasks are being prepared for pot lock, we look forward to getting most of them knocked out Saturday


  • Karianne is planning to work on converting part of the treehouse to the leatherworking space that will be going in there.

Vinyl Zone

  • Charlie is a big refresh of the Vinyl zone recently. Everything was moved and swept. If you can't find anything, ask Charlie.

Space Project Updates

Fab Lab Construction

  • The interior drywall work is motly done and now needs painting.
  • Vivian is looking to get a mural painted on the outside.



  • Next sewing night is Wednesday April 12.
    • Last week we had a visit from an avid sewer who is part of a local costume group and meets with the American Sewing Guild.
    • She has an interest in perhaps bringing the group here for a field trip to check us out.
    • I'll be submitting an article about what we create here, and what I've been sewing here, for their newsletter.
  • Pattern classes are ongoing on Wednesday afternoons and are available in the evening by request.
    • With Gwen as a guest instructor, i3 is one of the few places in the Detroit area other than a formal school, where you can take a pattern class as they're not offered by the local stores anymore.
    • For people who do custom work or need changes to an existing pattern, such as to replicate or create an original design, pattern drafting or hacking are important skills and getting harder and harder to find!


Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:08
  • Attendees: 20

Action Items

No action items.


No proposals.


  1. Charlie R
  2. Mike F
  3. Matt C
  4. Nate B
  5. James O
  6. David H
  7. Vivian S
  8. Jan H
  9. Tom K
  10. Lew D
  11. Tony S
  12. Karianne G
  13. Ross
  14. Frank A
  15. Steve N
  16. Kevin F
  17. Mike W
  18. Kerry
  19. Malcolm
  20. Walker
  21. Cindy