Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20220322

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 03-22-2022

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:42


Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

  • Profit and loss report: https://www.i3detroit.org/wi/images/a/ac/ProfitandLoss_Feb_2022.pdf
    • Sort of normalish month with nothing super weird.
    • Zone collections are generally inconsistent, but seem lower than they have been. Seems true both for boxes and PayPal.
    • The yellow bandsaws from the machine shop waa sold. This was never setup and operational, and a better one is available.
    • If it wasn't for the 3K water bill we'd be slightly positive.

Bank balance $87,088.47
Emergency Fund ($30,000.00)
Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc. ($26,558.16)
Allocated to Expansion (MEDC) ($27,570.35)
Other Allocations ($1,000.00)
Net $1,959.96
  • Other allocations is for a lawyer fee.
  • Auto lift will be in the report for next month.


  • Nothing to report


  • COVID rules were updated, but at least the main page of the wiki needs an update.

Senior Vice President

VP of Activities & Classes

  • A couple of things were canceled in the last couple weeks.
  • Is someone scheduled for in person tours?
  • Adding some contact information for the host so if someone has questions, they would have a contact.
    • There might be some information based on event creation, but this might not be the best answer.

VP of Membership-Onboarding

Changes since last month:

  • 3 members finished onboarding
  • 2 members left
  • 2 people started onboarding

Net +1 member

General Updates

  • Experimenting with being more proactive about getting members to sign up for a key appointment
    • This will hopefully help bundle them into group appointments rather than individual ones which was the whole point of having the slide deck
    • Want to start doing it now because we are right at the edge of there being enough people joining that it's going to get overwhelming to take care of all of them individually
  • The number of new people coming for tours has definitely increased!
  • Who wants to help host tours on Friday?
  • Should we setup some sort of signup system for tour hosting?
    • Send an email to the list asking for people to coordinate tour hosting.
    • Is the bigger issue a lack of volunteers, or coordination of those.

Member Advocate

  • Nothing to report this month.

Committee Reports

Fundraising Committee

Safety & Compliance Committee

  • No update.
    • Reports only expected in July.

Moderation Committee

Old Business

  • Bylaws review is gong to hire a lawyer to review updates.

Camera Review Review

  • None

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • No discussion in any board mailing list or slack channel since the last meeting.

Outstanding action items

Action Item: Paul - Tour training class.

No longer outstanding action items

  • In the last thirty seconds of the last Board meeting, Mel managed to find the agenda for the Michigan Makers Meetup and add a discussion point about Makerfaire being cancelled. She will try to remember to update this item with a summary of the discussion that happens after it happens!
  • A secretary was found for the last meeting.

There were rewards for the MEDC fundraiser.

  • Action Item: Mark - email member list to find someone to help coordinate MEDC fundraiser rewards
  • Will also need to allocate money for shipping of items.

New Business

  • Should we not have scheduled events other than tours if they are low attendance? The calendar should reflect events that are actually happening.
  • Better publicize expansion activities.
  • The next Potlock is currently scheduled for April 16th
  • Michigan Maker Meetup
    • Oakland County development. Current challenge is getting paying members to return and pay. Host an entrepreneur meetup at i3, as that would push it out to a group that may have interest in i3, or could also help get the word out.
    • Looking into a museum or other academic space to host Maker Faire as Henry Ford is no longer doing so.
    • AA Maker space is planning to increase dues rather than increase membership to improve financial.
    • Looking for someone to host the entrepreneur meeting and coordinate.
      Action Item: Mel - email member list to find someone to help coordinate hosting the entrepreneur meetup at i3


Action Item Summary

Action ItemPOC
email member list to find someone to help coordinate hosting the entrepreneur meetup at i3Mel
email member list to find someone to help coordinate MEDC fundraiser rewardsMark
Tour training class.Paul

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:39
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 10


  1. Paul Lee
  2. Jamie
  3. Jan
  4. David
  5. Matt Carpenter
  6. Evan
  7. Mike
  8. Mel
  9. Mark
  10. Drew

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20220315 Board Meeting Minutes 20220419