Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20210209

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 02-09-2021

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:33 Jamie

Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Be excited.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

Treasurer's report: https://www.i3detroit.org/wiki/File:ProfitandLoss_2021_01.pdf

Bank balance $119,079.17
Emergency Fund ($30,000.00)
Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc. ($22,141.24)
Allocated to Expansion (MEDC) ($47,396.90)
Net $19,541.03


  • Nothing to report


  • I don't think there's anything to report.
  • Mel would like the COVID Best practices reviewed at some point in the near future.

Senior Vice President

  • Not really.
  • Is there going to be a new signup for members that want to lead additional virtual tours?
    • Future discussion on how or if to implement.

VP of Activities & Classes

VP of Membership-Onboarding

Membership changes since last meeting:

  • 1 Member => Hiatus
  • 1 Scholarship expiration
  • 1 Scholarship renewal
  • 1 New member joined

Scholarship fund update:

  • 6 Members on scholarship
  • $294 Allocated (62.9% available)
  • Average value of $49/scholar
  • Mark would like a % of scholarship funds used/available if possible.
    • As the number of members is a fuzzy number, it will be approximate.

Key re-activation progress:

  • 154 keys have been reactivated (of the 279 currently in the door)

Member Advocate

Committee Reports

CRM Committee

  • Did not meet. Planning to meet in March

Expansion Committee

  • Is the committee as a planning entity over, and now it's just a work group?
  • Started trying to organize actual expansion tasks on the wiki, but it still needs a lot of work. Anyone willing to project manage this?
  • Evan is willing to go to the space and help measure and map things out.
  • Evan and Mike will figure out what has happened and what still needs to.
  • Admin work page is probably now dated and could be removed.

Fundraising Committee

  • Did not have quorum.
  • Planning to meet in March
  • Should have a Patronicity update soon.
  • Want to get a member survey to have some other metrics to send in updates.

Safety & Compliance Committee

  • No update.
  • Reports only expected in July.

Moderation Committee

  • No update.

Old Business

Camera Review Review

  • None.

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

  • Summary of discussions should also include conclusions when available.

===Slack Board channel:

  • Code of Conduct document beginnings, where should discussion of committee go.
  • Discussion of a guest disciplinary issue, guest vs member suspension, communication regarding warnings against future behavior.
  • Discussion about 2/9 agenda and topic to discuss, sublet of B side temporarily. 24/48/72 hour deadline for proposals to agenda.

===Slack Leadership channel:

  • Discussion on line of communication with landlord. John is not contacting Treasurer and/or Board when there are questions about payments, etc. Discussion between President and Vice-President on chairing duties.
  • Treasurer now has a contact number for John.

===Slack Board and Advocates channel:

  • Nothing to report.

===Board List:

  • A prospective member emailed the Board looking for how to join and if joining was possible right now.
  • Several emails from the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce on their events, etc.
  • Tests for moderation of the Board list. In attempt to filter out spam more effectively. A couple of board members volunteered to moderate messages to the list.
  • Messages with Jody and the landlord re payments of rent and utilities. Bank was slow in posting, it's a new bank. Check situation was resolved.

===Leadership List:

  • Several messages from the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce.
  • President forwarded an email from the insurance company regarding current policy and review. It was determined that based on past communication with the insurer regarding not renewing our policy, that this was a bulk email sent without consideration of actual situation. We are still in need of a new insurance provider.
  • The secretary forwarded a message from a member seeking clarification of Covid rules. The question was related to how many people permitted in a zone and the timing of work calendar updates.

Outstanding action items

  • Insurance?
    • Ashley does have a couple of people to contact. Will need details about our operations.
    • Probably want a general liability.
    • The current policy expires in July.
    • Mel to check with Michigan Makers to see what they use.
    • Current policy is in the admin share.
  • Raffle registration?
    • Need to follow up with Paul Lee on this.
    • This should probably be handled by the fundraising committee.

New Business

  • Placeholder to discuss the possibility of "renting" out floor space on B side for extra funding while working on the build out.
    • It would make sense to determine who this works after the expansion activities are detailed.
    • Need to work out all of the rules and specifics.
    • A champion to lead research and figure out how it all works would be helpful.
    • Check with the existing storage coordinator first.
  • How does the board want to handle space for expansion purchases? Zones needing to purchase items with expansion funds likely don't have the space yet to put the items, hence a chicken-egg problem.
    • Should this be under the expansion committee?
    • It would make sense to determine how this works after the expansion activities are detailed.
    • Don't need to buy now if it can be done in July.
    • Factor in lead times.
    • Need to coordinate with the expansion committee.


Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:38
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 14


  1. David Henry
  2. Jan Henry
  3. Matt Carpenter
  4. Melissa Gilchrist
  5. Jamie Burdeski
  6. A’Lisa Krawciw
  7. Que Fanning
  8. Jody Raiford
  9. Evan
  10. Mike
  11. Ashley
  12. Paul F
  13. Mark
  14. Que

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20210112 Board Meeting Minutes 20210309