Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20210309
- 1 Minutes for 03-09-2021
- 2 Meeting Location
- 2.1 Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- 2.2 Officer Reports
- 2.3 Committee Reports
- 2.4 Old Business
- 2.5 New Business
- 3 COWBELL
- 4 Meeting Metrics
Minutes for 03-09-2021
Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:37 by Jamie
Virtual Meeting Etiquette
- Be excellent.
- Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
- Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
- If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
- If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
- Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.
Treasurer & Budget
Treasurer's report: February 2021 Financial Report
|Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc.||($25,872.54)|
|Allocated to Expansion (MEDC)||($46,502.88)|
- Overall a quiet month.
- Nothing to report.
- Nothing exciting.
- Need to schedule a COVID policy meeting.
Senior Vice President
VP of Activities & Classes
- Up coming Events https://www.i3detroit.org/#upcoming
VP of Membership-Onboarding
Membership changes since last meeting:
- 1 Member => Hiatus
- 1 Member Left
- 1 Member Joined
- 3 New Scholarships
Scholarship fund update:
- 9 Members on scholarship
- $461 Allocated (41.7% available)
- Average value of $51.22/scholar
- No net change in members.
- There are a couple of things in process related to the camera review.
- Is planning to meet next week!
- Have an order of operations.
- Better layout for machine shop and welding.
- Investigation on member storage plots, it was decided that it would be to complex and there was not space to make it work.
- Working on tracking done some electrical parts that are needed.
- Will be scheduling mini work parties soon to start getting things done.
- We're working on a survey of members and community people who have been helped by i3 to gather data for potential funders. There's a draft at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zZBrGuqWxnk_F6nJ9v0-UcGTU3R-jOKR__Wuf35m0tc/edit?usp=sharing and more people helping with words is always welcome. Planning another meeting next Tuesday before the member meeting to work on fixing it up more and hoping to send it out by the end of the month.
- Should work to track this down.
- No update.
- Reports only expected in July.
- No update
Camera Review Review
- Mel and Tim did a camera review of Wood shop due to equipment left in an unacceptable state. Covid violations were also found, so the whole situation has been referred to board. We're discussing things with the advocates outside of this meeting.
Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting
- Slack Board channel: brief camera review discussion, assistance offered, determined better place to offer assistance with review would be direct to zone coordinator request.
- Slack Leadership channel: discussion between Feb 9 and 22 re finding a person to set up and run a possible temporary space rental in B until expansion is complete. Tom would be willing to help, but is busy at the moment with life. Maybe a committee? Maybe someone who has vested interest? Mid February, discussion of opening call for volunteers to membership. Mention of waiting for expansion to recommend appropriate areas to use. Concerns about rules made that would make work for board and members to change or manage, is it worth the work for a temporary program, consider all consequences. By the last week in Feb, several members of Leadership mentioned there isn't very much space in B to dedicate to member paid storage, wood shop was mentioned, condensing, tidying, but more than that could get in the way and slow down expansion. Maybe there's some space but not very much, lots of moving and activity in B.
- Slack Board and Advocates channel: discussing the results of the above camera review now.
- Board List: Every message between February 9 and March 4 was from the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce.
- Leadership List: February 9-March 4 were Ferndale CoC messages. Tim Clayson wrote Leadership to request a camera review and Mel responded to the message. Camera review was conducted, results were reported to the list and board is discussing next steps.
Outstanding action items
- What's the status on getting insurance quotes?
- Ashley is working on it but does not have an update at this time.
- Action Item: Ashley - Get insurance quotes.
- * Placeholder to discuss The potential "Revenue Enhancement" and Member benefits of offering "Supplemental Storage Plot Space" (BSide).
- Last month a Champion was suggested to lead research and figure out how it all works?
- What would be an appropriate monthly "donation", "fee", "rent?".
- Rick Cortright has volunteered to Champion the initiative as he may want to test the program and no one else stepped up.
- He hopes to start a small business but would not commit to a stand alone facility until proving the business case (fire tables).
- He may be interested conservatively in 60 sf (10x6) to 120 sf (10x12) of space to store materials on large shelves and on the floor.
- A required step should be to ensure that Zone Coordinators effected would have first right of refusal... so to speak.
- This could be a pilot to help identify potential benefits and issues that have yet to be imagined.
- Is there a current Storage Coordinator?
- Woodshop is interested in this option as well. I (Tim) have designed a reconfigured layout to open up a 6x10ft space in SW corner of Woodshop. However, intent is to have a space for assembly of larger projects for a couple weeks to a month or so without having to move project in and out of long term storage location every time. Would expect to be fee-based with approp T&C's.
- Mel: thinks that there should be room available on side A that could be used after some zones, possibly machine shop leaves. It may be possible to do this, but the space could just not be on B.
- The courtyard is not generally available except under rare instances when negotiated with the landlord in advance if we needed it. This has historically been a couple of days a year or less.
- Evan: Not opposed to the idea, but if we're going to try and hit our deadline, this effort could make that goal harder.
- Jamie: What about the existing woodshop after it moves out?
- Rick: Can probably work with coordinators that are flexible
- Ashley: Historically, the pay for service model didn't really fit with the i3 community model, as those who paid would be given priority over the community members. If we have space, this needs to be balanced with large project storage. We'd need to figure out how to do that with fixed terms.
- Evan: Should we convert commons space to paid storage, as this has been very under utilized during the pandemic.
- Mel: A side loading bay might be used. We should do this in a way that has a consistent policy for everyone. How do we manage if demand exceeds capacity?
- Rick: There is enough available space within zones that I can use, so the short term needs can be met. Would be happy to lead or participate in a work group to benefit those in the future. Within 3 months project viability will be assessed so it won't be needed beyond that.
- Mark: We just need to work on rules.
- Paul: We need someone who wants to lead the rules.
- Jamie: Figuring out the process so zone coordinators don't need to is very helpful to making things work.
- Ashley: There is value in having rules and a framework as large projects and storage does come up periodically.
- Mike: Do we offer scholarships for paid storage?
- Mel: Scholarship members get first access to large project storage?
- Way to many people talking to fast for the secretary to keep up.
- Evan: a key part of the rule making is to outline the consequences of when policy is not followed.
- Jody: didn't Rick agree to help with this?
- Mel: we don't' seem to be opposed to the practical of doing this, so a committee should be established.
- Ashley: the board does not have the capacity to draft these rules.
- Jamie: If there is something that is reasonable and vetted, this could be voted on at the next board meeting. It would be good to bring this up at the next member meeting.
- Mel: if there should be another storage slack channel we can make one.
Action Item Summary
|Get insurance quotes.||Ashley|
- Time completed: 20:28
- Funds appropriated: $0
- Attendees: 14
- Jan Henry
- Melissa Gilchrist
- Jody Raiford
- A’Lisa Krawciw
- Paul Frick
- Mike Fink
- Jamie Burdeski
- Que Fanning
- Matt Carpenter
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Board Meeting Minutes 20210209||Board Meeting Minutes 20210413|