Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20160705

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20160621 Meeting Minutes 20160802

Agenda for 07-19-2016

'Chair: Charlie Rysenga 7:32 pm'


Experienced Members

  • Nate B. - eLab Coordinator; Have been around longer than the walls. Likes to make stupid jokes and puns.
  • Cory Tebo - working on recycling, electronics projects.
  • Scott S - i3 Detroit Sat.

New Members & Guests

  • Anthony L - Muralist interested in making minor changes to the building :)
  • Jim M - Electronics, Programming. Very interested in physical things. Steel and wood.
  • Tony - Likes to make stuff (and take it apart). Enjoys learning. Ex Navy guy.
  • John - Background in music. Bass player, marketing and graphic design. Likes woodworking, would like to learn welding.
  • Matt - working with Detroit Sat, has 5 3d printers. Likes to weld.
  • Kyle - works with Scott and is checking things out.

Show and Tell

  • Steve N - Display box for i3 Detroit that's lockable.
  • James O - Adafruit lamp with neopixels wit feather and 3d printed top.
  • Switt - Augmented reality tabletop. Future use is for D&D. For maker fair, possibly something cat or Pokemon.
  • Charlie - Kevin has it safely stored away for Maker Faire.

Old Business

Maker Faire Update


  • Project deadline is over, but if it's small or really awesome we might be able to squeeze it in.
  • Project Sign Up Form
  • About 40 projects have been submitted so far (including many smaller projects)
  • Many projects and other stuff. The tent should be very full this year.
  • Look for futrue email with major timings and date.


  • Wristband list is up on google docs. Check the email for the link.
  • Still need more volunteers. Please signup. Friday load in and out as well as Sunday for the return.


  • Party Flyer is done and sent to Shauna to be sent out in an email blast to all Maker Faire Participants
  • Facebook party event will go up shortly


  • July 23rd & 24th
  • We have a 10x10 tent where we are planning on taking donations and showing off cool demos.
  • I am still looking for volunteers! You get a wristband for the day and can go see some of the shows.
  • Demos we are planning on taking: Kittens in QR codes, 3D printed things, other cools (sic) stuff?!?
  • Pig and Wisky - raised ~ $400 for i3! Other groups that were there the whole weekend got $6K. May be a good idea for next year.

New Business



  • Video Walk-through of TX/RXLabs, Houston Hackerspace - Point of Contact: JodyBug
    • As I've been asked not to post these videos publicly, I'll be hosting a walk-through viewing after the meeting, and at other times as will be posted to the list.
    • About 30 minutes in length.
  • Mural
    • Check member list for details on the Ferndale rules that apply to signs and murals. It may be classified as artwork rather than a sign. This allows for a larger percentage of the building to be used.
    • Anthony is CCS Graduate
    • Did a giant dragon in Toronto.
    • Envisions a large chrome dragon being welded and programmed.
    • Opportunity to put in many hidden jokes and bits of zones.
    • Charlie or Mike can verify with the landlord.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • New cooled / heated filtered water. Bring your own cup & enjoy!

Compute Zone

  • Nothing to report.

Craft Room

  • We have a newly donated sewing machine. Parts have been purchased that were missing and it's now ready for use. It is a Husqvarna Viking, and does sewing. Note that parts cannot be shared between the two, so please keep them separate.
  • We may look into getting a craft iron or some otherwise older iron for crafts so the current iron can be kept specifically for sewing. Goop was found on it which was caught before it was transferred to fabric. Check the iron after your use, and if it's dirty, please clean it.
  • Embroidery bobbin thread is on back order so we are unable to get replacement spools at the moment. According to the shop, it's been a few months.
  • On a similar note, if you're going through a lot of thread and needles fairly quickly, or running a business and doing a lot of work, it's probably advisable to carry your own consumables. We get what we can as availability allows and having it here is helpful, but best for occasional use, getting through a pinch, or emergency.
  • We do have a donation box and will be tracking contents in consideration of perhaps using donations to replace consumables. A small use fee for the embroidery machine is also under consideration. Much thought will be put into it to be fair but maintenance is expensive.
  • Last item for sewing: we're getting a small vacuum that will live under the sewing machine, to make it convenient to suck out the lint after every use. Keeping it cleaner should cut down on visits for service, provided other guidelines of use are followed. Please refer to the wiki for updated pages for both machines.

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • Full Spectrum laser engraver
    • Needs air assist finished, please?
    • Just needs the new filter-regulator mounted and everything plumbed in nicely
  • Full Spectrum Pegasus Touch
    • Still waiting on a vat
    • Finally got contact with them by phone; order got lost. -.-
    • So how about that Formlabs Form2, eh?
  • Filaboxes
    • No progress, mea culpa
    • This weekend, unless someone else wants to work with Terry to order them
  • Protomat
    • Unclear on what is going on with this; much discussion, not much conclusion. Let the coordinator know what's up.


  • n/a


  • Member storage clean-out went great last month, we freed up quite a few spots. This month we finish the wall in the wood shop and the lockers. Make sure you're reading the Announce mailing list for details on this. Affected members should also have received a direct message.
  • If anyone has time to help out around the space just let me know, I have several easy tasks that can be delegated (and some that require skill with the genie or a conduit bender)

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • Planning a regular monthly Third Thursday JIG (Jewelry Interest Group) from 6:30 to 9:30 pm starting this month on July 21st. First topic will be certification on the rolling mill and the Foredom rotary tool. Contact Jewelry@i3Detroit.org for more info.

Kiln Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • Bumblebee is down - most likely needs replacement part(s). Odds on being back before Maker Faire depend strongly on shipping speeds.
  • Wolverine is working again after a brief hiccup.

Machine Shop

  • Nothing new, been out of town, don't think anything burned out hopefully?

Media Lab

  • Has a computer with the adobe creative suite installed locally
  • username: i3Detroit password is on the tower
  • Second computer is waiting budget for parts

Sky Zone

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • Some tool breakage is being noted, specifically pliers that were abused are going to be replaced with stronger versions
  • Please notify the coordinators when you don't have the right tool for the job, we'd rather buy the right tool than have to replace a broken one.
  • Assistance in organizing tools would be appreciated, there are some small projects that would be great if you want to help out, but can't dedicate a whole weekend to sorting stuff

Tree House

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • Quite a lot of use in the zone over the past month. New vinyl is on order.
  • Trying out a new supplier (a lot cheaper) so we will see how that goes.

Welding Zone

  • Plasma cutter out for repair, covered under warranty, yay Miller! Still no firm time estimate.
  • Intro to Welding class will be Sunday July 24th, 9a - Noon.
  • Looking for stainless welding wire.
  • Welders jackets or covering up is good to prevent UV exposure.


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • n/a


i3 DetroitSat

  • Very busy between now and Maker Faire.

i3 MotorSports

  • Checking to see where #3 car is. Expectation is that it's tour will have it at Maker Fair
  • Need volunteers for track marshals. Check with Matt H.


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • Sewing + Project Runway is this Sunday, July 24 from 1-3pm. The classroom becomes a sewing workroom for an afternoon. See event page on i3's Facebook page.
  • no runway on July 31 due to Maker Faire.
  • In August we return with sewing nights every other Wednesday in the classroom, and Runway on Sunday afternoons. Watch the SIG group, emails, or main Facebook page for updates on specific topics or classes during those meet ups.


  • n/a


Broom Party

Lost & Found Party

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 8:18 pm
  • Funds appropriated: $0
  • Attendees: 23

Action Items

No action items.


No proposals.


  1. Nathaniel Bezanson
  2. Jamie Burdeski
  3. Matthew Carpenter
  4. Jonathan Devine
  5. Cameron Geralds
  6. David Henry
  7. Matt Huber
  8. Tom Kim
  9. Amelia Meyer
  10. Stephen Nowicki
  11. James O'Dell
  12. Matt Patrick
  13. Jody Raiford
  14. Charlie Rysenga
  15. Scott Scheraga
  16. Matt Schmotzer
  17. Tony Slover
  18. Matthew Switlik
  19. Corey Tebo
  20. Bruce Webber
  21. Anthony lee
  22. J. Hoon Kang
  23. Jim Day