Minutes:Board Meeting Minutes 20240220

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 2024-02-20

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: XXXXXXXXX

i3 Detroit 1481A Wordsworth St. Ferndale, MI 48220



Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.

Officer Reports

Treasurer & Budget

Treasurer's report: https://www.i3detroit.org/something

Bank balance $
Emergency Fund ($)
Allocated to Zones/SIGs/etc. ($)
Allocated to Expansion (MEDC) ($)
Net $


1. Board of Directors meeting minutes from 2023-10-17 forward, inclusive, have been published to the wiki. DaveS was appointed Secretary on 2023-10-17.

The dates of Board of Directors meeting minutes published includes:

The Directors are invited to verify and approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes at their discretion.

2. Members meeting minutes are an active effort and will be available to be be approved at the next Members meeting.


Senior Vice President

VP of Membership

VP of Activities & Classes

  • Our space has Hosted: a super successful Potlock, Two local community Garden Club seed planting events, Jermey’s birthday party (thank you for fixing the projector in commons, Jermey!), a football tournament watch party (sorry Lions), a python meet up group, and a RISC-V ISA talk
  • Jewelry is hosting a 2 day workshop making sterling silver necklaces with stones! So far the goal of 4 people are signed up on event-bright :) 24-25th. They would love for more members to join them - there’s room for two more people!
  • I plan to overhaul the events process on wiki soon to best-help members host successful events.
  • Event Emails going out on Friday(ish) with Canva graphic to 'announce', and 'member' google group lists. Sending to Jan to post on our social media.
  • I plan to consider alternative 'preferred' method-of-communication with membership; for communication of events (e.g. Text messages, email, slack channel etc.)
  • In discussing with members in-person, there has been general interest in the hosting of a monthly event for members to bond (see last member meeting minutes if you want more info.) Welcoming suggestions!
  • Ferndale Memorial Day Parade asked for our participation (May 27 @ 10A). Is anybody interested; if so, reply in-line to the recent thread in #events-planning. What does that look like: interested parties decide!

Member Advocate

Committee Reports

Fundraising Committee

Safety & Compliance Committee

No update.

Reports only expected in July.

Moderation Committee

Old Business

Camera Review Review

On February 13, Mel Gilchrist, Alicia Chatman, and Matt Arnold did a camera review of the wood shop between Friday February 2 at 2pm through Sunday February at 1pm.

Summary of Board List/Slack Discussions since last meeting

discussion of a vehicle outside b-side

discussion of camera review requests

potential for a grant being given to us

member/member advocate topics

Talk about the canoe

discussion about member storage cleanout

scholarship policy

glass zone floorspace

microphone for commons

Outstanding action items

New Business

Change Number of Board Members

Proposed proposal: Change the number of board members to 5

Context=I want less board members so we have active people doing other stuff like officer stuff or committees. The membership agreed with this a while ago but the board at the time was split and I couldn't make the meeting to vote for it. It's entirely a board choice, and it would be good to decide *before* elections.

Leather Zone Leadership Transition, with preparatory support

Appoint Lew Dennison and David Henry as Co-coordinators of the leather zone.
Discussions between Karriane and DavidH as well as Lew and DavidH have happened, and all three are in favor of the changes.
Moved by MelG, Seconded by FrankA
Author: JanH
6 Ayes / 0 Nays
Result: PASS

Glass Zone Footprint Designation, to Celebrate the Art

Glass Zone to find permanent home in Lobby II.

After researching needs of glass zone, the ZC (Lauren Yellen) concluded that the best opportunity for a flourishing Glass Zone is in Lobby II.

Please see attached map for explored areas. The purple notes areas taken into the most consideration. The other attached map is proposed layout.



Whereas: The basic requirements for the zone to be successful are: the need for cleanliness (as few dust particles in air), a table able for stain glass work (requires 365 degree walk-around capabilities), a table for cutting glass, storage for consumables, work surfaces, a kiln (there’s already an exhaust-hole to exterior in the cinderblock wall).

Whereas: Glass zone will offer Stain Glass work, slumping glass, casting glass, microwave glass kiln capabilities, and glass kiln fusing.

Whereas: Glass zone is not currently being used efficiently due to its non-ideal location.

Whereas: Glass zone has been properly cleaned to be ready for immediate use and is ready to move out of temporary holding in wood-shop. Jan expects lobby II to be emptied into sewing early spring of ‘24.

Whereas: The majority of the glass items needed for glass zone expansion have been promised to us for-free by members and their peers. We are not anticipating any major upfront costs from this.

Whereas: Lobby II is not necessary as-currently-designated. Lobby purposes are best experience in Lobby I. Lounge and Treehouse satisfy any other overlapping designation for Lobby II.

Whereas: Glass zone will leave the walking path accessible.
Moved by MattA, Seconded by JanH
Author: LaurenY
4 Ayes / 1 Nays
Result: PASS
AlexT:  Aye
EvanA:  Abstain
FrankA: Aye
JanH:   Aye
MattA:  Aye
MelG:   Nay


Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Appoint Lew Dennison and David Henry as Co-coordinators of the leather zone.MelGFrankA60PASS
Glass Zone to find permanent home in Lobby II.MattAJanH41PASS

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed:
  • Funds appropriated:
  • Attendees:


  1. Chair
  2. Secretary

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Board Meeting Minutes 20240116 Board Meeting Minutes 20240319