Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20190507
- 1 Agenda for 05-07-2019
- 1.1 Introductions
- 1.2 Show and Tell
- 1.3 Old Business
- 1.4 New Business
- 1.5 Zone updates
- 2 COWBELL
- 3 Meeting Metrics
Agenda for 05-07-2019
Introduction of i3Detroit
"i3 Detroit provides access to tools and equipment for members who share common work spaces. Members gather to create, build, learn and make" - Anonymous New Member
- Mel is the treasurer, so see her for money things
New Members & Guests
- Andre is studying electrical engineering
Show and Tell
- Jamie has her Mad Hatter costume. She laser cut all the fabric for it, including an intricate design on the back of the jacket. She'll be sharing her wisdom in an upcoming class on laser cutting fabric.
- Mel made a tutu during the fundraising meeting earlier today. If you want to make your own tutu talk to Jan.
PotLock is this Saturday Noon until 6:00 or so.
Maker Faire is fast approaching!
We need people to help make it run smoothly. Three or four volunteers makes it a manageable task. Please talk to Paul or Matt C if you're interested.
Also, make sure you're working on projects to show at Maker Faire. It doesn't have to be a huge production; we also need lots of small neat little projects to show off as well.
Finally, the Henry Ford allows us to have a few vendors under our tent that don't have to pay for a vending booth. Talk to Lew if you're interested in vending at Maker Faire.
- Wednesday, May 8
- 7-10PM: i3Detroit Sewing Semi-monthly Sew Up
- Friday, May 10
- 6-9PM: Friday Night Tours
- 7-9PM: Open Craft Room
- Saturday, May 11
- Noon-6PM: PotLock
- Sunday, May 12
- All Day: Mothers' Day
- Noon-6PM: Sew It's Sunday
- 2-5PM: i3 Motorsports
- Tuesday, May 14
- 7:30PM May Board Meeting
- Wednesday, May 15
- 7:30-8:30PM: Wiki Wednesday
- Thursday, May 16
- 8-9AM: Lazy Business Networking
- 7-10PM Game Night
- Friday, May 17
- 6-9PM: Friday Night Tours
- 7-9PM: Open Craft Room
- 10:30-11:30PM: Support Thomas on the GR3YNOISE podcast
- Saturday, May 18
- 1-4PM: Eastern Michigan Python Users' Group (EMPUG) Meetup
- 4-6PM: Stitch 'N' B!t¢ħ
- Sunday, May 19
- 2-5PM: i3Motorsports
- Tuesday, May 21
- 7:30PM May Third Tuesday Members' Meeting followed by Music May
Floor Plan Selection
- The floor plan selection process is nearly over!
- Currently suggested plans are accessible both digitally on the Wiki (Floor Plan Proposals) and physically in the B-side office. Members are encouraged to look at the plans and raise any concerns they have with the relevant zone coordinators. ZCs will discuss these concerns with the planners to inform modifications
- Designs are to be finalized by 5/14 so get your feedback in soon!
- When final plans are done, a referendum will be held to gauge which plan(s) the membership prefer - watch the mailing lists for the specific dates!
- The board will use the results of this vote and feedback from zone coordinators to make a final floor plan decision. This is expected to take place before the end of May.
NOMCon is coming up
- It's a meeting of makerspace operators across the country.
- First one was last year, and this year it's in Tenessee on June 14-16
- Anyone want to go? Talk to Matt C.
- Mark: The dust collecor has issues and we have a lead on a discount on a new dust collector.
- Frank has been researching them for a few months now and we had been looking at this model based on advice from Glenn Wing. Laguna PFlux 3
- The owner happened to have one new, assembled, in store that he's offering at a discount.
- It's specced to be able to handle our two most dust-collector-intensive tools running at once.
- It's quieter and much smaller physically than the current dust collector, but the can is 46 gallons which is comparable to ours.
- HEPA filtration down to 0.4 microns.
- Has 'smart' features like indicators for when the can is full of dust.
- Some discussion on the specifics.
- Jody: We'll talk more after the meeting.
Storage for Cosplay Scrap
Jeff isn't very interested in cosplay, but he has noticed some abandoned cosplay supplies and is interested in getting several bins for cosplay scraps to be stored in member sorage.
- Mark suggests that to move forward on this we need to find someone to be responsible for them.
Computer Vision Software for 3D Printers
- POC Norm
- Norm is interested in installing the 3D printer computer vision software Spaghetti Detective which can detect failed prints.
- It would require a camera to be pointed directly at the printer and not at any humans, but it would need to be covered by the existing camera policy.
- Lego: So this is prohibited by the existing policy, so what we're proposing is a change to the policy to allow this sort of camera.
- Are we voting on this now?
- Jamie suggests, from experience, that we conduct a straw poll now to get a general consensus, and then draft actual language for the rules before the next member meeting.
- Lew calls for a straw poll. Vote was overwhelmingly in favor of proceeding on this.
- Some new Crimpers and a table to tell what's for what
- Lots of new components, thank you everyone who's helped with that
- Some JTAG tools are inbound, look for a let's-learn-JTAG-together session after they all arrive
- 3D Printer - Formlabs Form2 is here!
- Paul Frick bought it
- Training and authorization required
- Likely have a class or two, focusing on getting trainers trained, in the next week or so
- To make room, some movement:
- Laser Cutter - Full Spectrum needs maintenance, probably a full disassembly and cleaning and recalibration
- A member recently made very many glass pieces for a graduate project which is currently on display at the Cranbrook Institute of Art
- Sewing has 3 older but new to us sewing machines from Paul's mom, including an older electronic embroidery machine that would also work well for us as a good general sewing machine.
- Also two vintage machines in very good condition.
- Jody has held a couple welding classes a week for the last few weeks which has been a lot of fun.
- If you want more fun classes, email/slack at Jody to set something up.
Lost & Found Party
- Time completed: 8:19
- Attendees: 20
Action Item Summary
No action items.
- Lew D
- Jamie B
- Paul L
- Mike F
- Andy L
- Greg G
- Jan H
- Norman W
- David H
- David H
- Maggy P
- Nasir S
- Vivian S
- Steve N
- Matt C
- James O
- Jeff P
- Andre R
- Matthew F
- Amelia M
|Previous Meeting||Next Meeting|
|Meeting Minutes 20190416||Meeting Minutes 20190521|