Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20201215

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 12-15-2020

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:37 A'Lisa


Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.


Introduction of i3Detroit

  • Presented by a different volunteer each month - 2 minutes
    • What we are:
    • What we value:
    • We determine success by:
    • Welcome everyone!

Experienced Members

  • A'Lisa - Chairing the meeting with Alexi [cat]

New Members & Guests

  • n/a

Show and Tell

  • A'Lisa - Tatting shuttle painting with watercolor ladybug on one side and monarch butterfly on the other.
    • durability testing two different clear coat finishes, one on each side.
    • mod podge is a poor choice to put on watercolor finishes :(

Old Business

  • No old business

Out Standing Action Items

  • No open action items.

New Business

Upcoming Events

  • Up coming Events https://www.i3detroit.org/#upcoming
    • Virtual sewciety is now back to every Wednesday
    • Virtual table top simulator on game night Thursdays
    • Virtual Friday Nite hangout on the 25th (orphan edition)
    • Virtual Stitch 'N' B!t¢h on Saturday the 26th
    • Should there be a virtual new years thing?
    • Fundraising and Member meeting on Tuesday the 5th of January

B Side CoO

  • CoO Language: "Limited to the following use and storage: classroom setup, computer station, storage of member project and supplies, art studio, sewing and crafts, vinyl cutting, electronic assembly, and leather working."
  • The master CoO that we're trying for includes activities like welding, wood shop, machine shop, etc. We are scheduling a meeting with the architects to see what the next steps are to achieve this master CoO plan in a financially acceptable way
  • So, what do we do in the meantime? Expansion committee is soliciting feedback - not deciding anything at this meeting though

Potential paths

  1. Start building out only the zones that follow the current master plan
    • Carts, Wood shop storage, bike shop?, commons, lobby
  2. Re-envision the master floor plan to accommodate the current CoO
    • Make A-side the "dirty side" & B-side the "clean side" (opposite of the current master plan)
  3. Start moving zones piecemeal based on the current use - this might require reversing work if/when the master plan comes to fruition
    • Move craft room, sewing, elab to B-side temporarily
  4. Use B side as rent-able personal workspace temporarily to raise funds without moving equipment


  • William - Sewing and Craft is too cramped for distancing, moving it out in the open.
  • Jan - Dust and temperature are concerns for the machines, would like to have walls to deal with these conditions.
  • Mel - Not all options are mutually exclusive, some parts could be done in a hybrid fashion.
  • Would like to look into making space available for member projects.
  • Jan - Using B for class activities would free up space for sewing next to craft.
  • Having classes on B would be problematic due to the acoustics.
  • Adding some temporary walls or even stuff would probably help.
  • A'Lisa if some walls go up on B could do so in a way to make them movable or have the ability to re-use pieces.
  • Mike - not all walls are structural, mainly to separate space.
  • A'Lisa - H-Frame could be moved, but some of the functionality of it is needed on A.
  • A'Lisa - How much inconvenience and when.
  • Jamie - What could we do that would be useful to move on A side?
  • Mike - There are a number of table frames that need tops.
  • Mel - Chairs are partially moved already to aid with social distancing.
  • David - If the workbenches are moved with commons, they can't be used on B side with tools, which is the point.
  • Expansion Channel in slack for future.

Zone updates

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • n/a

Craft Room

  • n/a

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • n/a


  • n/a

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kiln Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • Cyclops (the new laser cutter) is here and working!
    • It's almost all set up where Bumblebee was, and very nearly ready for people to use it.
    • Overall, using it's very similar to Bumblebee and Wolverine, but I'm still working through all of its quirks. The control software, LightBurn, is way better than LaserCut. It's really configurable, though it's a general purpose software that supports many laser controllers, so I'm still learning what options and features actually matter for our system and what don't work.
    • Training, for anyone already trained on Bumblebee/Wolverine, is shaping up to be a video and a brief online quiz.
    • Bumblebee is taking a time-out on B-Side for now.
  • William would like to schedule some training on Cyclops. I have some fabric I want to have cut precisely. Please contact via Slack.
    • Jamie - Cutting fabric on Cyclops in the current configuration will be a challenge at this time. Wolverine is proven.

Leather Loft

  • n/a

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • n/a

Welding Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • n/a



  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a



Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

No proposals.

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 19:14
  • Attendees: 12


  1. David Henry
  2. William Kent
  3. Melissa Gilchrist
  4. Gregory Good
  5. Jan Henry
  6. Paul Frick
  7. A’Lisa Krawciw
  8. Jamie Burdeski
  9. Drew
  10. Kevin
  11. Paul Lee
  12. Mike Fink

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20201201 Meeting Minutes 20210105