Minutes:Meeting Minutes 20230103

From i3Detroit
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes for 01-03-2023

Meeting Location

Meeting was Called to Order At: 19:33 by A'Lisa


Virtual Meeting Etiquette

  • Be excellent.
  • Attendance and voting can be found in the #meetings slack channel.
  • Please show up early if you are concerned about your audio.
  • If there is no one waiting to speak feel free to do so at the next opportunity.
  • If there is someone waiting to speak, please say that you are raising your hand in the google call chat. (This will be demonstrated)
  • Please refrain from other side conversations, these can be distracting for the rest of the meeting and make it difficult for the chair to keep track of what's going on.


Experienced Members

  • Paul Lee - Has been the VP of Activities and Classes for the past 5 years, and is now shifting to Membership. Will still also fill the member advocate. Kitchen zone coordinator when it exists. Does electronics when there is time.
  • Matt Arnold - Member since 2011, has served many roles over the years and is currently on the board and Membership. Enjoying giving tours.
  • A'Lisa - VP (now in Seattle) likes to work on sewing projects.

New Members & Guests

  • Jeremy - Guest working on membership. Likes electronics and circuits. Looking forward to utilizing the space and all of the tools.
  • Jayson Brown - Has been in Detroit for about a year and looking to make stuff. Found us via Google maps.

Show and Tell

  • Matt Arnold - Photos of a scale model of a 30' dinosaur puppet in the build process. Utilizes bamboo poles and harness for the puppeteers.
  • Evan Green - Patent application from great grandfather in 1907. Sharpener for a tailors chalk. Thought it would be neat to make one out of a single block of wood, with a bent metal for cutting.

Old Business

  • n/a

Outstanding Action Items

New Business

Upcoming Events

  • Volunteers to host upcoming Friday tours?
    • Paul is usually here.
    • Matt might not make it this week

Change Member Meeting Location

  • Change Meeting location from Hangouts to i3 Commons area
  • Loss of incidental interactions is hurting our community building
  • See Email list for a larger argument
    • We'll need someone to run the meetings.
    • Want to insure someone is present to take minutes.
    • Hybrid meeting would be good.
    • It's been a challenge for those online to hear as it's difficult to have only one person speaking at a time. Background noise has been an issue, this should improve with expansion.
    • Penguicon's meetings were Hybrid for years and seemed to work out well.
    • If the chair is online, it should help with keeping in mind that people are online.
    • Using a single microphone to pass helps to keep the speaker count down.

Change the location of member meetings to the i3 Commons area. The online meeting will also be available.
Moved by Charlie, Seconded by Matt Arnold
6 Ayes / 3 Nays
Result: PASS

Resolution to Recommend Board Change Meeting Location

  • Text: We the members of i3Detroit, in order to foster community and transparency, request the i3 Board of Directors to conduct their meetings on i3 premises.
    • Does this disqualify someone from serving on the board if they are uncomfortable being in person.
    • Should we recommend having 2 board members in the space with the others having the option to be remote.
    • Why is the change needed? It improves the social aspect.
  • What happens if there isn't sufficient in-person quorum? The meeting would probably still continue with remote, if not.

Help getting things done at i3

  • 4 tasks
    • Drain parts have arrived. for the kiln zone sink.

Zone updates

Automotive Zone

  • n/a

Bicycle Shop

  • n/a

Ceramics Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

CNC Zone

  • n/a

Commons Area

  • n/a

Craft Room

  • n/a

Electronics Lab

  • n/a

Fab Lab

  • n/a

Glass Zone

  • n/a


  • Roger and Thad completed the air line run from the compressor to the rest of A-side

Injection Molding

  • n/a

Jewelry Zone

  • n/a

Kitchen Zone

  • n/a

Laser Zone

  • n/a

Leather Loft

  • n/a

Machine Shop

  • n/a

Media Lab

  • n/a

Tool Crib

  • n/a

Vinyl Zone

  • n/a

Welding Zone

  • n/a


  • n/a

Wood Shop

  • n/a

Space Project Updates

  • n/a



  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a


  • n/a



Action Item Summary

No action items.

Proposal Summary

ProposalMoved BySeconded ByAyeNayResult
Change the location of member meetings to the i3 Commons area. The online meeting will also be available.CharlieMatt Arnold63PASS

Meeting Metrics

  • Time completed: 20:23
  • Attendees: 14


  1. David Henry
  2. A'Lisa Krawciw
  3. Matt Arnold
  4. Paul Lee
  5. Gregory Good
  6. Charlie Rysenga
  7. Nate B
  8. Jody Raiford
  9. Jan Henry
  10. Evan Green
  11. Drew
  12. Jayson Brown
  13. Jeremy Glogower
  14. Has Chen

Previous Meeting Next Meeting
Meeting Minutes 20221206 Meeting Minutes 20230207